Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard €6
    Anyone hear any thing else and to what weight

I heard regular sellers getting 6.10

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

kk.man wrote: »
    I heard regular sellers getting 6.10

23 or 23.5kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As someone who sells store lambs I think its good to see the price factories are being forced to pay at the moment to get finished lambs.
    At least the farmers who bought\kept long term light feeder lambs over the winter are getting a decent price for them which might tempt them to buy stores again this year.

Duke92 wrote: »
    23 or 23.5kgs

I didn't hear any weights being mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

As someone who sells store lambs I think its good to see the price factories are being forced to pay at the moment to get finished lambs.
    At least the farmers who bought\kept long term light feeder lambs over the winter are getting a decent price for them which might tempt them to buy stores again this year.

100% right.
    This was the time of year that they would usually sneak back and over to England, keeping the price down. But the price in england has tied their hands this time around. Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

100% right.
    This was the time of year that they would usually sneak back and over to England, keeping the price down. But the price in england has tied their hands this time around. Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch!

They will take it all back from mid summer on. These highs do be very temporary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Jjameson wrote: »
    They will take it all back from mid summer on. These highs do be very temporary!

They will, but they were going to do that anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

41 kg weather's 109 today in the mart. Need about 6 weeks of meal.

Brought the last of the rams lams yesterday. Rough dirty looking, wet field and the weather.. but well bred and were getting a kg of meal per day since Christmas. Couldn’t believe when they avg 60kg on scales. (Loaded straight out of field. One bid of €140. V happy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Are rams paid the same as ewes in the factory? I always assumed so, but was just wondering if it was officially the case?

Was talking to a man earlier who sent off two big Romney rams to the factory. They killed out at 40kg and 55kg, but he only got paid €1.80. That doesn't seem right, does it?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

I sold 2 together a month ago 92 Kgs 117€. Usually .20 cent or so behind ewes to kill but you only get paid to a weight. Looks like he was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

I see the farmers journal are saying hoggot price is down 5cent a kg ? Anyone notice this or is it just the factory’s keeping the lid on things ?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Young95 wrote: »
    I see the farmers journal are saying hoggot price is down 5cent a kg ? Anyone notice this or is it just the factory’s keeping the lid on things ?

I didn't think there was as much bite to the trade in the mart last Thursday as the previous week. However the quality wasn't as good either. Just my observations and I didn't stay for the whole sale either.

Young95 wrote: »

Was in New Ross mart last Monday and a dealer told me trade was up slightly on the week before. Think it’s the factories feeding a line to the Journal and them publishing it.

IFA text is saying prices up too from last week

They are definately drawing a line a 6 euro so anyone selling being bid that and 23 kg don’t refuse on the back of Chinese whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone get any quotes this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Went yesterday €6 23kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Was talking to a neighbor who sold yesterday in Tullow. Quieter trade he reckoned. 52kg for €132 and 50kg for €130. Better lambs than what I had. Your man with the blue glove wasn’t there.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

Was talking to a neighbor who sold yesterday in Tullow. Quieter trade he reckoned. 52kg for €132 and 50kg for €130. Better lambs than what I had. Your man with the blue glove wasn’t there.

Is that the guy who does be outside the gate and often checks how fleshy the lambs are .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

From Waterford ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

From Waterford ?

older man? I know him as salter

From Waterford ?

I think so. About 40ish.

He was missing from enniscorthy today as well. Back 3 or 4 euro. Salter is ballon meats. This guy is flynn from Waterford.

He was missing from enniscorthy today as well. Back 3 or 4 euro. Salter is ballon meats. This guy is flynn from Waterford.

Are they back? Neighbour going to take a batch to Kildare. He felt he would have got on better. How much per head is stopped in factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

He makes a difference when he is there buying strong .

ganmo wrote: »
    older man? I know him as salter

Salter would pay the least amount for sheep always 10 to 20c behind the bigger plants in quotes. You are certainly confusing with someone else.

kk.man wrote: »
    Salter would pay the least amount for sheep always 10 to 20c behind the bigger plants in quotes. You are certainly confusing with someone else.

The ringside is the place to sell to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The fella with the abattoir ?

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    The fella with the abattoir ?

There’s a Flynn’s butcher in Waterford anyway and they have their own abattoir

Advertisement