Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Under pressure here for grass so considering options to relieve the pressure a bit.

Has anyone ever sold milk-lamb? Think it’s 20-25kg lamb weaned early but don’t know much more than that about it

Anyone know more?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Under pressure here for grass so considering options to relieve the pressure a bit.

Has anyone ever sold milk-lamb? Think it’s 20-25kg lamb weaned early but don’t know much more than that about it

Anyone know more?

I think I saw it once on a BBC show Kill it, Cook it, Eat it.
    I've never heard of it in this country but similar to veal it might be more popular on the continent.

You could probably check with export plants to see if they've a market but you might be better looking at other options.

If you have older ewes for culling later in the year letting them off with lambs at foot might be an option. You could get most of the money you'd get later in the year for them separately now without the risk and expense of keeping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone know more?

ICM have bought them in the past.
    Have you thought of weaning them .
    We wean pet lambs off milk here when they're
    1. over 35 days old and
    2. over 2.5 times their birth weight and
    3. eating more than 250gms/day of meal for three consecutive days.
    You could then tighten up the ewes and give them silage and give the lambs grass.....

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Sold the last of the store lambs during the week. Got €5.95/kg. 1 lamb graded r1 and weighed in at 19.60 kg.. and I only got 4.95 for him. Is the reason he got less because of the grade or would there be any other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Sold the last of the store lambs during the week. Got €5.95/kg. 1 lamb graded r1 and weighed in at 19.60 kg.. and I only got 4.95 for him. Is the reason he got less because of the grade or would there be any other reasons?

The 1 fat score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I had kepak do that to me a few years back. Cut me on some lambs that graded badly. I haven't darkened their door since. I'm sure whiever they sold on my lamb to didnt get the benefit the other way either.

I had kepak do that to me a few years back. Cut me on some lambs that graded badly. I haven't darkened their door since. I'm sure whiever they sold on my lamb to didnt get the benefit the other way either.

fat score one is a very poor sheep, mainly skin and bone, your wife wouldn't buy a chop off one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Lambs graded badly, you got cut on them. What do you expect? That's what grading is for

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Lambs graded badly, you got cut on them. What do you expect? That's what grading is for

They could have let 1 lamb slide, as I assume the rest of the batch graded well. Yes it was thin, but could have been alot worse , ie O or P and at around 19kg would still have been a saleable product.
    On my own lambs , its several years ago, they got hammered by fluke who turned out to be resistant to the dose I gave them and they never recovered fully. Kepak cut me on a small few that graded poorly. I had more from the same batch to go a few days later. A buyer for one of the ethnic markets bought them off me, full price and without issue. Said they didn't want them overfat and nothing above 40Kg. So where kepak moaned and cut me, other buyers had no issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

They could have let 1 lamb slide, as I assume the rest of the batch graded well. Yes it was thin, but could have been alot worse , ie O or P and at around 19kg would still have been a saleable product.
    On my own lambs , its several years ago, they got hammered by fluke who turned out to be resistant to the dose I gave them and they never recovered fully. Kepak cut me on a small few that graded poorly. I had more from the same batch to go a few days later. A buyer for one of the ethnic markets bought them off me, full price and without issue. Said they didn't want them overfat and nothing above 40Kg. So where kepak moaned and cut me, other buyers had no issue at all.

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but very few lambs grade O and I never saw P grade.

Different markets different lamb hence why they wanted them. Fat score 1 is very thin animal.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but very few lambs grade O and I never saw P grade.

Different markets different lamb hence why they wanted them. Fat score 1 is very thin animal.

I know. 1 is thin and probably should have been fatted more before slaughter. The point I was making is if one lamb out of a batch grades poorly and everything else graded well, they should have let it slide.

I'd be surprised at that, they'd be usually buying ewes a lot cheaper than lamb price, you were lucky. A good ewe would be better value and quality

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd be surprised at that, they'd be usually buying ewes a lot cheaper than lamb price, you were lucky. A good ewe would be better value and quality

Ya, it's a few years ago now, but at the time they wanted lambs 14-18kg. I just deal with one of the factories now. Everything last year left here 18-21kg and graded u and r mostly 3 with the odd 2 off grass. Happy with that from mainly lleyns. Never had much luck chasing the bigger weights.

Any quotes for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Any quotes for this week? Heading mart tomorrow with lambs and dreading if the price has fallen out of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I heard the quotes dropped a bit in the factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Hearing 5;70 a kilo which would be a good bit back from last week but that only rumour.
    Will people panic and go regardless in case factories close next week?

Hearing 5;70 a kilo which would be a good bit back from last week but that only rumour.
    Will people panic and go regardless in case factories close next week?

Continuity of supply seems to be way up of government list of priorities , so hopefully things will keep going

Continuity of supply seems to be way up of government list of priorities , so hopefully things will keep going

It's not the factory's top priority though.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭joe35

Factories love a excuse to lower prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Slightly different but i know a lad that works in a chicken factory and they are flat out the last week with orders up 300%, but once a worker gets covid19 they have to close it down, youd have to imagine itd be the same for the beef and sheep factories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

All local Marts closed down here news just coming through now. I'd expect donedeal till be going into overdrive tonight cattle and sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

5:70 23kgs
    Going tomorrow

Duke92 wrote: »
    5:70 23kgs
    Going tomorrow

Where is that quoted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Lambman wrote: »
    All local Marts closed down here news just coming through now. I'd expect donedeal till be going into overdrive tonight cattle and sheep.

What area you in?

Carnaross still on tomorrow anyway.

1600 cattle for it tomorrow they say between all 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Donegal. At least 5 marts here came out yes6and said all marts cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Tullow mart going ahead today, gates open at 12, sale starts at 2, only genuine buyers and sellers asked to attend

Sold lambs in Kilkenny mart dis morning. Trade back but happy with price I got. 55kgs €138 and 50kgs €134 . Thankful to get rid of them also !!!

Hoggets' and cull ewes 'off the clock' in parts of the UK according to one of the farming forum websites. Why are our factories pulling?

• Advertisement

Off the clock??
    Not quoting?

Advertisement