Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

More to be got than that that a lot of talk going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Englands lamb has crashed reports from mart managers off prices down 36% this past week (farmers guardian) and a very reliable source a man who would send 6-7 k fat lambs till factory every year so would pay for him till know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    Englands lamb has crashed reports from mart managers off prices down 36% this past week (farmers guardian) and a very reliable source a man who would send 6-7 k fat lambs till factory every year so would pay for him till know.

My nephew phoned both ICM and Kildare yest and they wouldn't quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

had a few ewes are turned up empty and a couple that aborted/lost their lambs earlier
    gave them to an agent for kildare on Monday 3.20/kg for ewes most killed over the max 43kgs

also had a few light hoggets killing 18/19 kgs at 6.00/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

wrangler wrote: »
    My nephew phoned both ICM and Kildare yest and they wouldn't quote.

Rang factory this morning about hoggets, no hope of getting any killed this week said to ring back Friday but things not looking good for next week either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Rang factory this morning about hoggets, no hope of getting any killed this week said to ring back Friday but things not looking good for next week either

It's not possible for everyone but now might be a time to try and find a local butcher who could take a few.

Processors might be more efficient the bigger they are, but they (and us by extension) are also more exposed to random events and the impact is bigger.

I might be harking back to the "good old days" (if they ever existed) but lots of small abattoirs dotted around the country would mean less of a risk and less of an impact if something like covid-19 happened.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Factory rang this morning killing tomorrow them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Duke92 wrote: »
    Factory rang this morning killing tomorrow them tomorrow

What price?

€5:50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just thinking about the mart closures. Are any mart managers negotiating a live weight per kilo price with agents ? . Send out a text saying sheep collection point x per kilo and use the mart as the drop off point. Mart gets it commission. All social distancing could be observed. No crowds. A small mart used to go it here a year few years back.

• Advertisement

Just thinking about the mart closures. Are any mart managers negotiating a live weight per kilo price with agents ? . Send out a text saying sheep collection point x per kilo and use the mart as the drop off point. Mart gets it commission. All social distancing could be observed. No crowds. A small mart used to go it here a year few years back.

Why bother with the marts at all ? most agents arrange pick up points or have facilities in their yards. .

very hard to give a fair price live weight. some lambs k/o 50% , other might be closer to 40.

yet the fellow with the long wooled, long tailed, ram lambs would be looking for top price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

orm0nd wrote: »
    Why bother with the marts at all ? most agents arrange pick up points or have facilities in their yards. .

very hard to give a fair price live weight. some lambs k/o 50% , other might be closer to 40.

yet the fellow with the long wooled, long tailed, ram lambs would be looking for top price

As I said, a local mart used to do it a few years back. Factory agent came once a week and gave a blanket price per kg. Wasnt top dollar, but if your a mixed bag , it worked out fair enough. It just wound down because of lack of sheep where i am. It was just an idea to keep the marts in the loop at the current time and provide some bit of competition to, factories or nothing atm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As I said, a local mart used to do it a few years back. Factory agent came once a week and gave a blanket price per kg. Wasnt top dollar, but if your a mixed bag , it worked out fair enough. It just wound down because of lack of sheep where i am. It was just an idea to keep the marts in the loop at the current time and provide some bit of competition to, factories or nothing atm.

The mart in Dungarvan (Co. Waterford) does something similar. They have a weekly “collection” where farmers drop off lambs and an agent picks them up for the factory. Never sold them there and not sure what way price works but I guess it suits some lads

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

The mart in Dungarvan (Co. Waterford) does something similar. They have a weekly “collection” where farmers drop off lambs and an agent picks them up for the factory. Never sold them there and not sure what way price works but I guess it suits some lads

They give a quote from dawn in ballyhaunis....happens every 2nd wednesday as cahir mart (also part of cork mart group) buys up.fat lambs to fill.the load

I found payment prompt and it a good service as i do be workin,so suits me

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

5.30 today, got rid of 160 hoggets

€5:70 now big turn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

€5:70 now big turn

Is that hoggets?

kk.man wrote: »
    Is that hoggets?

Yes didn’t hear spring lamb prices

Yes didn’t hear spring lamb prices

Could you pm me where?.. I've one load left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

got 5:50 for the last 11 store lambs in navan yesterday average 20.5 kg dead. good to have them gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 OnDtown

Got 5.70 today, Ballyhaunis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

OnDtown wrote: »
    Got 5.70 today, Ballyhaunis

The disruption must be causing problems. And Easter coming up. There is a few Hoggets here will be sorry to hear the price is gone back up. 😀

Butcher looking for hoggetts and springs. Hadn't either so I didn't ask price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Local Mart (Baltinglass) back on here with restrictions. Have a few hoggets to go. Might pop down next Saturday. I wonder will there be a reduced trade because of the new selling method and also Easter Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Tullow mart looking for spring lambs, cast ewes and hoggets for Monday

Tullow mart looking for spring lambs, cast ewes and hoggets for Monday

I heard
    75 é per kg hoggets
    80 é per kg sprong lamb

kk.man wrote: »
    I heard
    75 é per kg hoggets
    80 é per kg sprong lamb