Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

When I was supplying a ramadan buyer , they wanted 16-19kg carcass or 35- 42kg liveweight and nothing over that weight. So maybe that's why their looking for springs. Having said that they'll take hoggets just as quick, within the same specification. At the same time theres always other customers and butchers looking for the heavier hoggets.

Heavy hoggets are not much in demand at the moment.The are a very limited market and not too many interested in killing them.
    Maybe a few butchers but not factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Heavy hoggets are not much in demand at the moment.The are a very limited market and not too many interested in killing them.
    Maybe a few butchers but not factories.

Got €6:20 for hoggets yesterday because they were short
    Not much demand is right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Duke92 wrote: »
    Got €6:20 for hoggets yesterday because they were short
    Not much demand is right

They will probably sell it on as spring lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Both old season and new season lamb is expensive to produce for different reasons. Whatever we get for it , has been hard earned and we deserve every cent for it. No easy money in sheep. Just a pity we're not properly rewarded more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Both old season and new season lamb is expensive to produce for different reasons. Whatever we get for it , has been hard earned and we deserve every cent for it. No easy money in sheep. Just a pity we're not properly rewarded more often.

Any prices for this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Our first draw of springs enroute to factory this evening. (3 calendar months from the date we started lambing)

Mostly texel x between 37.5 and 40.5 kgs. handling very firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

orm0nd wrote: »
    Our first draw of springs enroute to factory this evening. (3 calendar months from the date we started lambing)

Mostly texel x between 37.5 and 40.5 kgs. handling very firm.

Best of luck with them.
    Were they getting much creep as a matter of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any updates on prices folk? 6.60 for hoggets and 7 for springs ?? Chap told me that this man ... is this correct

Sami23 wrote: »
    Best of luck with them.
    Were they getting much creep as a matter of interest

They were getting creep for last 7 weeks intakes were low until 2 weeks ago mainly cos they were getting fresh grass every few days.

Last week grass was tight and circa 170 lambs were eating 125 kgs daily

90 lambs in another bunch are getting 100kg every second day

Creep is costing 285 / tonne collected loose at the merchant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Creep is costing 285 / tonne collected loose at the merchant.

That's a decent price for creep. Don't suppose you're in the south-east of the country, are you?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

See alot off dealers up here mad looking fat ewes and grazers must be expecting them till get a lift? Anybody know anything?

Lambman wrote: »
    See alot off dealers up here mad looking fat ewes and grazers must be expecting them till get a lift? Anybody know anything?

Got 3 euro a kilo,upto 43 kgs

Got feeling id have got more if held out,but let them away as it suited me at the min...keep grass for lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

There paying €1.25 a kg live for grazers is what I heard so 60kg ewe only €75. I'd imagine most ewes that lost lambs wudn be much more so nothing till write home about. Might pay till hold them for a month

Lambman wrote: »
    There paying €1.25 a kg live for grazers is what I heard so 60kg ewe only €75. I'd imagine most ewes that lost lambs wudn be much more so nothing till write home about. Might pay till hold them for a month

€6.10 plus Qa for Hoggets today. Only a small number but delighted to get rid of a few auld stragglers. I was half tempted to let off a few ewe Hoggets as well. I’d say they would have made as much as they will in the breeding sales next autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

42kg spring lamb made 140 last Monday in Kilkenny.Think a butcher/wholesaler bought them.
    Same person sold 93kg ewes for 123.50 in Kilkenny same day.Not overly fleshy.

Hear hoggets after getting another lift.Supposedly 6.40/6.50 paid this week but thats second hand info.Know spring lamb was 6.60 last week and hoggets 6.10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any quotes for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

Sold the dregs of hoggets today at mart, 47kg average made €131. Few bad quality cast ewes average 67kg made €90.

Hows the new tendering process working out in marts ? Do you go back and forward like a real ring or is it a simple this is the best price ? Is the process speedy ?

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Any quotes for next week?

6.80 for springs, monday and tues

3.20 for ewes

didn't ask about hoggets

if they don't fill monday might haggle 7 for lambs,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

3.20 for ewes

didn't ask about hoggets

That's some money for springs and hoggets at the time of year. Why is lamb so good and beef so poor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

supply and demand, economics 101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

3.20 for ewes

didn't ask about hoggets

Wheres that?
    Athleague quoting 6.05 for spring lambs for Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

Hows the new tendering process working out in marts ? Do you go back and forward like a real ring or is it a simple this is the best price ? Is the process speedy ?

Heres how it worked for me, lots to be sold booked over the phone on Thurs, brought stock to mart on Fri morning, stock unloaded, weighed, penned by mart staff. No question of entering penning area etc. Leave mart immediately, got call after 2 hours or so telling me the price, no option to haggle, I was told this was the best price available. Took it as I was happy enough with it for once ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hyland17

Got quoted 6.50 for spring lambs and 6.20 for hoggets for Monday morning. Jennings ballinrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Made 138 for 49kg hoggets in Baltinglass this morning.

Also made 145 for some cast ewes! Not sure of the weight but they looked big and fleshy.

A lot of lambs in the lairage last night. Talks of a big price drop mid week.

Could be bluff by the factories, but they appear to be getting ample numbers now.

A lot of lambs in the lairage last night. Talks of a big price drop mid week.

Could be bluff by the factories, but they appear to be getting ample numbers now.

See big price drop today and more promised for later on the week. To me that smells of scarcity to drive out lambs. I got my kill sheet today and I notice a few were down as lambs rather than hoggets. They were light and will probably we sold on as spring lamb to retailers .

Tileman wrote: »
    See big price drop today and more promised for later on the week. To me that smells of scarcity to drive out lambs.

They wonder why theres no trust between us and the factories. It's like they want to begrudge us a chance of making a living at every opportunity.

They wonder why theres no trust between us and the factories. It's like they want to begrudge us a chance of making a living at every opportunity.

I was of the opinion too, id say there bluffing, dropping price so lads panic and throw anny left over hoggets at them, i really think the sheep are not on the ground. In a fortnights time hogget prices will jump again, didnt they do this only a month ago to smoke out hoggets?

• Advertisement

there was a huge pre Brexit cull last Autumn in Britain and pulled the price down til January. I think sheep are scarce and will continue to be, Im in including Northern Ireland when i say Britain, i would think a lot of sheep were culled and ewe numbers are down up there, we should see the benefit next september-december.

Advertisement