Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

orm0nd wrote: »
    6.80 for springs, monday and tues

3.20 for ewes

didn't ask about hoggets

if they don't fill monday might haggle 7 for lambs,

Just got the kill sheet for Monday's lambs

They were 39.5 kg average on the hoof and killed out at 19.4 Kg average

Net price after deductions 129.74

I delivered this bunch myself so no transport cost deducted.

even drafting every 7 days we had 8 lambs slightly over the 20kgs cut off mark

1 light lamb was 17.9 kg on the hook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Just got the kill sheet for Monday's lambs

They were 39.5 kg average on the hoof and killed out at 19.4 Kg average

Net price after deductions 129.74

I delivered this bunch myself so no transport cost deducted.

even drafting every 7 days we had 8 lambs slightly over the 20kgs cut off mark

1 light lamb was 17.9 kg on the hook

Fair play - that's a good price.
    But a full 60 cent cents above what I was quoted this week. And cut again to 5.90 for tomorrow. Where did you kill?
    I'm holding out a little while as very few over the 19.5 here yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Fair play - that's a good price.
    But a full 60 cent cents above what I was quoted this week. And cut again to 5.90 for tomorrow. Where did you kill?
    I'm holding out a little while as very few over the 19.5 here yet.

We're blessed here as there are two local butchers who will take lambs, so I'm a fan of butchers rather than factories.

Our first January lambs went last week. Only three of them but at least it was a start. Two were 44-46kg and killed out at 23kg and 24kg. The third one was lighter and killed out at 20kg.

The butcher paid 6.50, and no weight limit (within reason!). He might be 5-10c below official factory quotes at different times of the year, but he always pays on whatever they kill out to.

If possible, I'd always encourage people to sell locally to independents rather than the bigger factories. Tis a small form of protest against the big boys that doesn't involve taking to the factory gates!

(As far as I know, around 100k sheep/lambs go to butchers every year rather than factories)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Anyone any idea what 2 hoggets with 2 lambs are worth lambs about a month old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any quotes for this week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Duke92 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what 2 hoggets with 2 lambs are worth lambs about a month old

i gave €200 for a hogget with lamb 2 weeks old at foot. i would say that was top dollar, then again a good hogget in september each year before breeding is €14-170

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any prices for hoggets and springs

Was quoted 6.20 for springs for Friday. 2 neighbours have lambs as well. Have a fair number between the three of us. Fighting our corner this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Was quoted 6.20 for springs for Friday. 2 neighbours have lambs as well. Have a fair number between the three of us. Fighting our corner this morning.

Let us know how you got on with the negotiations!!

Young95 wrote: »
    Let us know how you got on with the negotiations!!

6.25 to 20.5 kg all to be loaded at our shed at 7am tomorrow. Agent/haulier said he'll also give a cut off transport cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

We’re is that for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

6.25 to 20.5 kg all to be loaded at our shed at 7am tomorrow. Agent/haulier said he'll also give a cut off transport cost.

I'm gaining on ya Ormond.... Only 25 cent behind you this week! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any quotes for next week ?

Any quotes for next week ?

6.15 to 20.5kgs factories getting big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Sold lambs at home there. 38 kg average, sold for 110e. All still were on the ewe. Weren’t being creeped. Were nice and fleshy to be fair. Is it a lot to ask a lamb to kill out at 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

6:30 in ICM Navan yesterday , the agent rang me thurs night looking for lambs says supply tight this week coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Heard today €2.75 between 38 & 45kgs....anyone else get prices?

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Heard the same for gort this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

At a ko of 55% that works out at 6.10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Heard the same for gort this evening

You must be close to me.......

• Advertisement

You must be close to me.......

I’d be 40 minutes about north of gort mart. Often brought cattle to gort but never lambs. Just rang today for the latest

ganmo wrote: »

A buyer told me recently he rarely sees lambs kill out 50 or above. More 48 or 49. Would you see 50 and above yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

A buyer told me recently he rarely sees lambs kill out 50 or above. More 48 or 49. Would you see 50 and above yourself?

no our lambs would be cheviots and wouldn't be killed till later so we'd be lucky to see 48%.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

I’ve never seen lambs ko 55% no matter how much creep you give them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I’ve never seen lambs ko 55% no matter how much creep you give them

+1, selling at the mart is **** work, aleight for butcher lambs, but lambs sub 45kg is not smart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

no our lambs would be cheviots and wouldn't be killed till later so we'd be lucky to see 48%.

I've had well fed lambs kill 50% but they'd be starved for 3 hrs before weighing live and well emptied,
    48% would good in lambs weighed full.

Would pet lambs killout much less than lambs still on the ewe?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

Does anyone know what time Carnew start taking sheep in at on Thursday mornings .

Would pet lambs killout much less than lambs still on the ewe?

We finish most of the pets indoors on ad lib meal and k/o would be well on par with others. (also getting some meal)

A few (pets) went yesterday morning at 40 to 43 kgs. They were last to be tagged so I know tomorrow when I get the kill sheets.

After floods and storms earlier on, the year has been good for sheep owners, with great thrive since the weather improved and ok prices.
    Next draft here will finish the creep fed lambs.

• Advertisement

We finish most of the pets indoors on ad lib meal and k/o would be well on par with others. (also getting some meal)

A few (pets) went yesterday morning at 40 to 43 kgs. They were last to be tagged so I know tomorrow when I get the kill sheets.

After floods and storms earlier on, the year has been good for sheep owners, with great thrive since the weather improved and ok prices.
    Next draft here will finish the creep fed lambs.

It was a very long march though, :(

Advertisement