Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It was a very long march though, :(

Long February too!

January was grand but the two months after that were hard. Seems worth it now though with the first lambs sold and the rest going well. Should have another 12-15 gone in the next 2 weeks.

Lower kill seems to be keeping price OK but might not be so great when numbers start to increase

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

What’s price for ewes, springs and hoggets today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ICM Navan 6:10 this week , there talk of a big pull next week , the agent put me down for lambs for friday and rang to tell me. maybe better off getting rid of lambs 42-43kg and getting 19-19.5 kg carcass than 20.5 in 3 weeks at 5.80

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Got quoted 250 for ewes today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    Got quoted 250 for ewes today

They waited until ramadan was finished and then started cutting . Got €2.80 last week and cleared out some hoggets at €5.50. Feel lucky I did now. €2.50 is disappointing. Wonder what excuse they'll give on the ewe side of things ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

They waited until ramadan was finished and then started cutting . Got €2.80 last week and cleared out some hoggets at €5.50. Feel lucky I did now. €2.50 is disappointing. Wonder what excuse they'll give on the ewe side of things ?

5.50 for hoggets at the end of May is a super price...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/6762915/ewes-fetch-446-as-sheepmeat-sector-keeps-galloping-along/?cs=14694

from australia 1euro=1.66aus dollar

Restockers are continuing to jump into the market with young first-cross ewes topping Tuesday's national sheep sale on AuctionsPlus at $446 a head.
    The 81-head lot, 13- to 15-month-old ewes from Deniliquin in the NSW Riverina, were scanned in lamb to White Suffolk rams.

Another line of 157 first-cross ewes from Cowra in Central West NSW, 18- to 24-months and also in lamb to White Suffolks, were knocked down for $443.
    Five lots broke the $400 barrier in a sale which attracted 34,868 ewes out of a total offering of 50,057.

Another 33 lots of ewes were sold for $300 or more.
    Meanwhile prime lamb markets keep performing strongly through the coronavirus gloom and Australia's worsening trade relations with China, helped along by smaller yardings at major selling centres and ongoing competition from restockers.
    Lamb numbers dropped by 6567 at Ballarat on Tuesday with heavy lambs selling firm to $5 dearer to reach $304 while neat short-skinned trade weights sold $10 to $15 dearer in places.
    The lamb yarding at Forbes on Tuesday dropped by 1541 to 9500 with agents reporting a dearer trend.
    Prices for trade weight lambs lifted by $3 to $4 with prices ranging from $162 to $202.

Heavy lambs to 26kg sold from $194 to $229. Export heavy lambs were $6 to $8 dearer to range in price from $226 to $278.
    Carcase prices averaged from 786c to 870c a kg carcase weight.
    A pen of extra heavy lambs with an estimated carcase weight above 40kg topped Monday's Bendigo sale at $300 a head.
    Lamb numbers dropped slightly to 13,600 while sheep numbers lifted to 4900 off the back of last week's small offering of 1400.
    Export competition for extra heavy lambs over 30kg dressed was limited which saw prices firm to $5 cheaper.
    Most of the heavy export lambs made from $230 to $272 or 730 to 750c a kg carcase weight.
    Dubbo yarded 7270 sheep on Monday including 5510 lambs with lightweight lambs to processors firm with the 12kg to 18kg 2 scores selling from $133 to $158.

Trade lambs were firm to $2 dearer selling from $166 to $206 to average from 860c to 890c a kg caracse weight.
    Heavyweight lambs finished firm with the over 24kg 4 scores selling from $190 to $263 to average from 740c to 800c.
    Mutton prices have remained firm on the back of small yardings as the traditional winter supply squeeze looms.
    The eastern states mutton slaughter plunged 28 per cent last week to 43,594 with Victoria's kill more than halving to 9833 while NSW numbers dropped by 18pc to 26,184.
    A 3pc lift in Victoria's lamb slaughter to 147,551 helped boost total lamb numbers by 2pc to 285,153.
    NSW's lamb slaughter stayed steady at 94,104 while SA's rose by 1pc to 39,539.
    Meanwhile, a line of 230 young first-cross ewes from Dundeoo in the NSW Central West topped Tuesday's national lamb sale which attracted 40,033 on AuctionsPlus.

The 8- to 9-month-old ewes weighing 37.9kg live sold for $303 a head.
    They were pushed for top-price honours by a line of 250 station-mated Australian White ewes, June to August 2019 drop, which fetched $300.
    The ewes weighed 40.6kg live and were the only lot sold from an offering of 1500 from Nyngan in western NSW with the rest passed in at between $298 and $299 a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have a ewe hoggett that had a lamb, damn near dried up, would she get hoggett price think?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Have a ewe hoggett that had a lamb, damn near dried up, would she get hoggett price think?

I killed one that got mastitis last week in Ballyhaunis died 22.3kg R2 got €5.20/kg beats keeping them till autumn

I remember something that if they were less then 4 weeks lambed the vet might have an issue, but other then that ya, they look at the teeth, so check if she still has the baby teeth. Think the price has dropped back to base of €5, but still better the cull ewe prices. Often remember sending ones ( that didnt work out breeding wise) up to July and getting €4 a kilo for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

Anyone know if Baltinglass or Carlow marts are back working .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Anyone know if Baltinglass or Carlow marts are back working .

Baltinglass and Tullow both open, but ring before you go to get the full details

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Was watching Tullow mart for a while everything back at least E10 I'd say on last week, anyone any factory quotes for this week??

Was watching Tullow mart for a while everything back at least E10 I'd say on last week, anyone any factory quotes for this week??

They seem to be dropping the prices around every bank holiday, as they only need 4 days worth of supplies that week. However dont see prices dropping in supermarkets at the same time ?

Got 6 on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any prices for end of the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Any quotes this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Ended up with the lambs in the factory, 5.80€/kg 20.8 kg the carcases averaged.

Got 5.90 on Monday, avg 20.5

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

What weight are they paying up to in spring lamb???

• Advertisement

21 in navan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

murrak123 wrote: »
    What weight are they paying up to in spring lamb???

21 in Ballyhaunis too

Anyone know what 43kg lambs are making in marts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sami23 wrote: »
    21 in Ballyhaunis too

Anyone know what 43kg lambs are making in marts ?

€2.65/kg liveweight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Heard a dealer here was giving €90 for 30kg lambs last week so rang him and he said it was true but wouldn't quote me any price this week.. I could a had some 2nd cut a silage Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Supposed be pulled 40c since monday anybody any lambs sent?

5:60 tomorrow in icm navan have 30 going . this year i lambed 10 days later than usual , fed a small bit more creep but pulling lambs out at 43 kg it used to be 46kg to make sure i got all killing 20.5-21. madness a 20 kg carcass suits me grand and lambs gone at better price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Dickie10 wrote: »
    5:60 tomorrow in icm navan have 30 going . this year i lambed 10 days later than usual , fed a small bit more creep but pulling lambs out at 43 kg it used to be 46kg to make sure i got all killing 20.5-21. madness a 20 kg carcass suits me grand and lambs gone at better price

When did u start lambing

last week feb

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dickie10 wrote: »
    last week feb

I'm probably going to start last week of Feb next year. Lambed first week of Jan this year and am getting a great price for lambs, but it's too much work and I'm half afraid to look at all the invoices for meal since last December.

Do you use the ram effect on the ewes Dickie or what kind of a lambing spread do you have?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

yea i did the first few started around 17 feb the first week only about 12-15 the last week in february 70% lambed the n remainder first week in march. Had about 30 lambed out of 93 over the weekend friday-sunday night on the last weekend in february, I got a lad in to keep an eye on them in the last week of february, he was lambing for another man a few miles away came up twice a day between 9 and 2 i was home around 4:15 every day and was off the week before. the end of that last week in february the started going at it. By sunday night i had only 8 left, rang the lad to say theres no point coming up that week there all done!

Advertisement