Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

That is what will ruin the lanark tbh, guys with lowland farms fit to run pb texels, hobby farming showy type lanarks. They end up losing the thing they are supposed to be good at. Their teeth are already shot at a shamefully low age because people are sacrificing them for the sake of extreme looks.
    Im curious about the black wool, what are you referring to?

There is a lot of rubbish mayos alright. Some guys just keep a ram they can get for free and basically just farm for payments. The mayos are cheap to keep and last a long time so any old rubbish will do the job. These lads can book their lambs into a mart the same as anyone else, and people who arent massively familiar with the breed will buy them and suffer the consequences. You need a bit of knowledge of the breed to avoid the pitfalls and there is no real standard. However, there are some seriously good performers out there. Animals lasting upwards of 15 years, lambing every year and keeping their teeth, etc

the wool on mayos has got blacker and coarser over the last few decades driven on by a load of waffle that the blacker ones are hardy.....
    was clipping a flock of hornies recently there was a handful of ewes with good wool the rest were black hairy spiders, boat shaped, land lice they might as well be goats and their lambs the same but the good ewes were good and had condition on them and good quality lambs.

this should probably be somewhere other than in lamb prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Are these good prices expected to last past the end off the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Should be dropping now soon if it is the muslim festivals that's keeping prices up then most suppliers will not be shipping much longer. Only thing that will keep them up is alot a lambs already away and the dairy men will be buying shortly for grazing after the silage ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone get any quotes for today ?

Young95 wrote: »
    Anyone get any quotes for today ?

5.50 upto 21 kg

Dawn meats

• Advertisement

With the virus would there be a lack of new Zealand lamb getting into the European market?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

5:50 fantastic for mid july

How long do lads think the current price of lamb will hold on for? We’ll hardly see below the 4.50 mark for lambs this year will we ?

How long do lads think the current price of lamb will hold on for? We’ll hardly see below the 4.50 mark for lambs this year will we ?

Given price middling stores are making....they have to hold until mid-sept (assuming good thrive) otherwise lads gonna get burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Given price middling stores are making....they have to hold until mid-sept (assuming good thrive) otherwise lads gonna get burnt

Stores are a mad trade at the minute I hear...

But as someone who buys stores, I'm a bit biased too :)

I dont think I'll be buying for a good while yet... ;)

• Advertisement

Breeding sales sheep are gona be going for mad money too !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I can assure you that processors won't care what you paid for them when the high numbers start coming out in the Autumn

Hmmmm to sell now as stores or keep on for the factory in 6 weeks hmmmm

Stores are a mad trade at the minute I hear...

But as someone who buys stores, I'm a bit biased too :)

I dont think I'll be buying for a good while yet... ;)

Usually buy some for xmas

Think il buy cull ewes instead!

Though good value,still to be got with hoggets at the min

wrangler wrote: »
    I can assure you that processors won't care what you paid for them when the high numbers start coming out in the Autumn

I have no doubt about this......see alot of beef farmers buying up.lambs at the min....the money they paying,no wonder cant make anything at beef

Lads buying llylens thinking texels are in for a fright this winter...

But lads bought stores last year at big money,and still.made money last spring tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Usually buy some for xmas

Think il buy cull ewes instead!

Though good value,still to be got with hoggets at the min

What money were the hoggets Blaaz?

What money were the hoggets Blaaz?

I seen some good/nice quality online for e160 online,bought some few weeks ago at e140

....factory fit cull ewes making well over e90 (2.70 a kg).....still in market for another few hoggets,il be happy,if i can get them under e180

They used say a hogget was price of cull plus ewe lamb.....which is surely around 200

I rarely go to mart as work during week and nixers alot of evenings,while squeezing in sheep aswell :pac:

I seen some good/nice quality online for e160 online,bought some few weeks ago at e140

....factory fit cull ewes making well over e90 (2.70 a kg).....still in market for another few hoggets,il be happy,if i can get them under e180

They used say a hogget was price of cull plus ewe lamb.....which is surely around 200

I rarely go to mart as work during week and nixers alot of evenings,while squeezing in sheep aswell :pac:

Is giving 180 for hoggets not mad money like ?

Is giving 180 for hoggets not mad money like ?

Its pure lunacy,thankfully im only needing handful (unless good value to be got in 3 to 4 year olds!)

,but they are only 60 to 70 more than what large ewe lambs making at the min

Culls also cover half the price at the min....though a flood of lambs and collaspe of price,could suck confidence out of market v.easily

Hoggets were making upto e140 in spring,be hard for any lad to justify taking much less than e160 for em now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

heavy culls making €150 in the marts,

need 30 to 40 hoggets or young ewes here, not going above €180 for tops, got a good few feeding culls to move (or hold)

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    heavy culls making €150 in the marts,

need 30 to 40 hoggets or young ewes here, not going above €180 for tops, got a good few feeding culls to move (or hold)

See on Tullow Mart report hoggets Exceeded 200 today

Sold the last a my lambs monday at home averaged 31kg. Prices cant hold so I've the money in the back pocket now hoping the ass does fall outta them shortly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lambman wrote: »
    Sold the last a my lambs monday at home averaged 31kg. Prices cant hold so I've the money in the back pocket now hoping the ass does fall outta them shortly tbh.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get for 31kg?
    PM if you'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »

My land would be a mess if I sold my lambs now, we've way too much grass here

I've rented ground out for grazing that I no longer need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

See on Tullow Mart report hoggets Exceeded 200 today

I'm open to correction here, but I think they had a single lamb at foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

No dry hoggets topped 217 yesterday and few other bunch’s over 200, saying that saw nice pen bought at 185 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cran wrote: »
    No dry hoggets topped 217 yesterday and few other bunch’s over 200, saying that saw nice pen bought at 185 last night

In Tullow most years good hoggets regularly make 200e plus. With the lamb price and cull price where it is now ppl who have hoggets to sell will expect this as a minimum. The real big hogget will come out at the breeders sale next month and they will be expecting big money.

These sheep have been proven to be top notch in over 50 years. When they are culls the fetch top dollar too. Its like everything in life buy it good once and its not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

kk.man wrote: »
    In Tullow most years good hoggets regularly make 200e plus. With the lamb price and cull price where it is now ppl who have hoggets to sell will expect this as a minimum. The real big hogget will come out at the breeders sale next month and they will be expecting big money.

These sheep have been proven to be top notch in over 50 years. When they are culls the fetch top dollar too. Its like everything in life buy it good once and its not expensive.

Too early for many of them to be out but any nice fancy Suffolk x or Mountain x hoggets I have seen sold already in NW are up maybe 15 to 25 Euro apiece on last year.

As to be expected nice ewe lambs are up almost the same amount as well.

You are right about the Tullow type ewe....often had them myself and as culls they make great money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

Advertisement