Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone sell this week - any prices as have a few ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Enniscorthy matt had very few good factory lambs and definitely a lot better than quotes. 50kg €115 47kg €110

Jjameson wrote: »
    Enniscorthy matt had very few good factory lambs and definitely a lot better than quotes. 50kg €115 47kg €110

Ballyhaunis was 5.10 up to 21.5kg today so very similar

45kg's making €100 in mart today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any idea on how long Kildare chilling will be closed for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 answerman12

Sami23 wrote: »
    45kg's making €100 in mart today.

What do lads do with these lambs that they pay over 100 euro for? Is it all butchers market?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What do lads do with these lambs that they pay over 100 euro for? Is it all butchers market?

I got €106 for 43.5 kg lambs in camolin yesterday.
    When I go to the factory and waiting for my cheque, a dealer comes into the factory in the evening from the mart and I wouldn't be surprised if he's told to buy the lambs whatever. He always has a full load of lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

JJayoo wrote: »

At a minimum, a week. Could be much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

JJayoo wrote: »

No could be 2 weeks If all workers have to isolate

I'm assuming lambs will take a hit with the factory closure, any excuse to drop prices, but there might not be much change in cull ewe prices, am doing a big clear out and have some ready for the chop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

Anyone have any quotes for this week comming? Seemed to be a bit of a lift in dowra on sat for factory lambs according to there report. ?

5.10 Icm

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone know when Kildare are back killing again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

possibly after next weekend at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

When killing lambs in the factory are you paid whatever the price is up to 21.5 kg and that's it. I mean is there any grading like EUROP with cattle, or just if you are getting say £5 euro a kg you get that regardless x21.5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

k mac wrote: »
    When killing lambs in the factory are you paid whatever the price is up to 21.5 kg and that's it. I mean is there any grading like EUROP with cattle, or just if you are getting say £5 euro a kg you get that regardless x21.5.

Depends on a few things including how plentiful lamb is, the type of lamb, whether you're in a producer group with an agreed spec/weight, etc.

In my experience, the grading of lambs is nowhere near as complex/detailed as the grading of cattle.

Others on here might have more experience, but all else being equal I'd be guessing you'll only get a cut in euro/kg if you have a lamb that's like a balloon or one that's skin and bone on the other end of the scale.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

They're making from €95 to about €115 in Carnaross Mart this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

k mac wrote: »

If you are going in on flat price then that's it.Some factories adjust price per kilo to reflect heavy lamb eg
    Kildare 23 kg carcase at price of 5 euro to 21.5 pays 5 euro a kg to 21.5 so price before deductions is 107.50
    Other factory might pay 4.67 to 23 kgs on same deal so max price is same.Makes no difference really.
    As regards grading all lambs are graded but irrelevant on flat price unless p grade ( had one a few years ago but was expecting that) or maybe very overweight lamb of 30 kgs.Shouldnt really happen as that's just taking the p**s really letting a lamb get that heavy.
    Grading seems rather light handed on flat price but bit different on producer group rates as they are paying on grade and fat score.
    Here lambs 95% plus U grade on flat price but maybe 60/70 % on graded price .Fat score similar drop off sometimes.Really depends on what you selling, where you going and deal done.
    Producer group grading etc brilliant when sheep plentiful and poorer demand but not hectic when lamb in demand and price rising with processors looking for stock
    Well thats my take on it anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

5.20 Camolin

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Box09 wrote: »
    5.20 Camolin

Is that base price or including qa

• Advertisement

foxirl wrote: »
    Is that base price or including qa

That a flat all in price for QA lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

That was including QA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

chilling back killing sheep today.. put lambs in at 2.30 this afternoon..tongues seem to be out for them to get going again too

chilling back killing sheep today.. put lambs in at 2.30 this afternoon..tongues seem to be out for them to get going again too

Great news.

Have 16 obese culls ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

5.15 in Ballyhaunis this morning for QA lambs.

Offered 5:30 for tomorrow for Chilling inc.QA.
    Have none sorted so will wait and see for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Will all factories be increasing prices I wonder or is it just Kildare chilling desperate for lambs

Not too sure re price.
    Agent rang to tell me they were back killing and mentioned the price.Didnt push him on it as not too panicked here with a good few gone and lots of grass.
    Might as well try and run them all into full weight as with steady/ rising price and no meal bill weight gain is cheap at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Do I know what weight? I have a few to go but like yourself not Sorted for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Tileman wrote: »
    Do I know what weight? I have a few to go but like yourself not Sorted for tomorrow.

Assume 21.5 but to be honest never thought to ask as will wait till next week to sort a few

Advertisement