Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Assume 21.5 but to be honest never thought to ask as will wait till next week to sort a few

5.20 plus QA. Anyone hearing any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Tileman wrote: »
    5.20 plus QA. Anyone hearing any better.

Wheres that? I was getting 5.10 incl QA last week.

Wheres that? I was getting 5.10 incl QA last week.

Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

JJayoo wrote: »
    Great news.

Have 16 obese culls ready to go

Go to the mart if they are heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jjameson wrote: »
    Go to the mart if they are heavy.

Kildare open again so they should be gone by end of the week

• Advertisement

Kildare open again so they should be gone by end of the week

Never did well with culls in Kildare. Always did better in mart.

Never did well with culls in Kildare. Always did better in mart.

Well there gone on their holidays to Kildare now. Not sure what the prices are, got the call last minute, usually for ewes it's about 2.60/2.70

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone prices for this week? Have about 20 lambs fifty plus kilo which I think I'll bring to the mart. Another 20 or so between 44 and 50 which I'll probably factory. Might be a bit more competition in the marts for the heavy lambs.

farming93 wrote: »
    Anyone prices for this week? Have about 20 lambs fifty plus kilo which I think I'll bring to the mart. Another 20 or so between 44 and 50 which I'll probably factory. Might be a bit more competition in the marts for the heavy lambs.

Yea absolutely. Shortage of heavy butcher lambs at the moment so they should do well on mart.

No update on price for this week. Got 5.20 last week. But that was last week and as Phil hogan would say a lot can change in a week.

Well there gone on their holidays to Kildare now. Not sure what the prices are, got the call last minute, usually for ewes it's about 2.60/2.70

Well thought they had gone to Kildare somehow ended up in Athleague....shocking prices, when a thick fat mountain ewe weighing 75kg has a carcass weight of 19kg there is something up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

Well thought they had gone to Kildare somehow ended up in Athleague....shocking prices, when a thick fat mountain ewe weighing 75kg has a carcass weight of 19kg there is something up

Nearly all classes of sheep are a better trade in the marts at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭Robson99

Jasus something wrong there.
    A 50kg mountain lamb would kill out 23kg + with meal

Heard of 5.50 for lambs today and even 5.60 . What’s driving the price or is all a pyramid scheme.

Store lambs are on fire. Would be reluctant to but at moment as you might not get much more for a finished lamb in 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Heard of 5.50 for lambs today and even 5.60 . What’s driving the price or is all a pyramid scheme.

Store lambs are on fire. Would be reluctant to but at moment as you might not get much more for a finished lamb in 2 months.

The conversion to dairying has to be starting to bite, a good few big suppliers in our lamb producer group are gone now.
    I'd rather be producing sheep here now than depending on dairy farmers for my store cattle such is the quality

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

wrangler wrote: »
    The conversion to dairying has to be starting to bite, a good few big suppliers in our lamb producer group are gone now.
    I'd rather be producing sheep here now than depending on dairy farmers for my store cattle such is the quality

Only possible downside is I can see a lot of people getting into sheep if these prices kept up. Although maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong and most sane people don't want the hassle!

eire23 wrote: »
    Only possible downside is I can see a lot of people getting into sheep if these prices kept up. Although maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong and most sane people don't want the hassle!

Yea that’s what generally happens. I sold Hoggets to two new entrants this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

The big lads who had sheep numbers here have converted to dairying. There's not a quarter of sheep farmers here as there was a number of years ago. I don't know what it's like anywhere else though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

farming93 wrote: »
    The big lads who had sheep numbers here have converted to dairying. There's not a quarter of sheep farmers here as there was a number of years ago. I don't know what it's like anywhere else though.

Lowland here and not too many sheep farmers in general, so any dairy converts have tended to be from the beef side of things.

Maybe they're all starting to realise now that sheep are a good compliment to cows and dairy farmers will pay big money for ewe lambs and hoggets :)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Just got into sheep on a very small scale myself this year - 2 ewes with triplets and 2 pet lambs. Triplets were born in early march. Reckon they're 40 plus kg at the moment but hard to judge. Should I sell the now or hold off till heavier? Going killing 2, maybe 3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Should I sell the now or hold off till heavier?

That's the eternal question!

Where will you sell them: direct to butcher or factory? Or indirectly via the mart?

Whichever way they leave the yard, 40-43kg is good for the factory but butchers prefer them to be 45-50kg.

This year has been good for price so far. Usually the price drops slowly from the peak just after Easter. And so a lamb that's 40kg today could be roughly the same price when he's 45kg in 2 month's time. But 2020 has been a strange one and price is holding, and even rising slightly over the past few weeks.

Having said all that, the price difference will not be huge either way unless you have dozens of them to sell. You can't lose too much, but you can't win too much either!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Heavy Lambs €113 to €119 or €58 to €66 over €/kg
    Factory Lambs €100 to €113 or €54 to €62 over €/kg
    Store Lambs over 40kgs €87 to €100 or €44 to €54 over €/kg
    Store Lambs over 30 kgs €78 to €93 or €40 to €50 over €/kg
    Store Lambs over 35 kgs €65 to €80 or €35 to €48 over €/kg
    Fat Ewes €100 to €133 per head
    Feeding Ewes €66 to €100 per head
    Suffolk Hogget Ewes €175 to €220 per head

Yday in blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

Was watching Enniscorthy mart this morning online. Factory weight lambs were a flying trade. It was quite obvious the local factory was buying strong. The bigger the bunch, the more they paid. From memory, a group of 25 @45kg made €115.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Great money. It might be handier do B and B than buy stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Great money. It might be handier do B and B than buy stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

some lads will dip their toe in with sheep, but very few will last. one or two hairy days lambing will see them run and vow never to have them around again. you need to have a really strict management regime in place for sheep and store lambs letting them off the trailer and shutting the gate and leaving them to it for a few months dosent work, these lads will be the same ones cursing they ever got into them come a wet and windy february evening.

sure sheep industry and sheep farming was always seen as poor mans farming enterprise, just look at the coverage it gets even in comparision to beef. dairy dominates everything and beef and tillage close behind, sheep are seen as an add on in farms. very few set themselves up to be sheep first and beef second. the sheep here are now main enterprise and get most focus and labour, you couldnt put in the labour hours with beef it doesent pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was rummaging through stuff yesterday and found a factory receipt from this time ten years ago....lambs were 4:40 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Was rummaging through stuff yesterday and found a factory receipt from this time ten years ago....lambs were 4:40 at the time.

I remember before the change over to Euros, there was a headline that we had seem the last of the £50 lambs. And that was the top prices at the time, not the bottom. So 63 euro was looking at the very top end of the market at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I remember before the change over to Euros, there was a headline that we had seem the last of the £50 lambs. And that was the top prices at the time, not the bottom. So 63 euro was looking at the very top end of the market at the time.

I remember finished lambs making £40 Sterling and I’m not that old!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

I remember when lamb prices collapsed in the early 90s. We brought all sheep to the mart that time. Factory lambs made 32 punts and butchers made 40 if you were lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

kk.man wrote: »
    I remember when lamb prices collapsed in the early 90s. We brought all sheep to the mart that time. Factory lambs made 32 punts and butchers made 40 if you were lucky.

78p a pound bottomed out at I remember, happened for a couple of years

Advertisement