Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Cran wrote: »
    78p a pound bottomed out at I remember, happened for a couple of years

Roughly €2.18/kg in today's terms not allowing anything for inflation.

Allowing for inflation of 60% around €3.50/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Roughly €2.18/kg in today's terms not allowing anything for inflation.

Allowing for inflation of 60% around €3.50/kg.

Here’s the average prices from 1985 to 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what happened 30 years ago for the market to collapse was it purely ewe numbers ? i remember reading there were around 5 million ewes around 1992 in republic. whats the number now 2.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I remember selling finished butchers lambs for 8 old Irish pounds

300 gallons of diesel (year's supply) used to cost 30 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what happened 30 years ago for the market to collapse was it purely ewe numbers ? i remember reading there were around 5 million ewes around 1992 in republic. whats the number now 2.3?

There was very good subsidies for sheep then, one year there was a double subsidy as the subsidies were a year be hind so they issued twice in the one year.
    could have been £30/ewe that year.
    Am I remembering it right or does anyone remember ???????
    The whole thing was abused anyway and the hills got overgrazed.
    I shore sheep for people that could get them from the north, shear them, inspect them and factory them within a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Interestingly the £30 sub is equal to the extra money from having 1.8 lambs/ ewe @ 21kg @ €5.40kg based on the 1992 bottom of the market

£1.81 Bottom market 1992
    1.27 IR£/ €
    163.10% Inflation Jul 1992 - Jul 2020
    €3.75 1992 Bottom market 2020 terms
    €1.65 Extra/kg @ €5.40

€62.40 Extra for 1.8 lambs 21kg @ 5.40/kg
    €62.14 £30 sub/ewe in 2020 terms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

farming93 wrote: »
    The big lads who had sheep numbers here have converted to dairying. There's not a quarter of sheep farmers here as there was a number of years ago. I don't know what it's like anywhere else though.

The factories have alot to answer for as well. All the messing with imports to suppress prices over a number of years has meant lads just figured it wasnt worth the time working for nothing. Their just reaping what they sowed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Lamb prices strong this week

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Lamb prices strong this week

What they quoting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

For selling cull ewes, mart or factory best atm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

For selling cull ewes, mart or factory best atm ?

Mart. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

wrangler wrote: »
    There was very good subsidies for sheep then, one year there was a double subsidy as the subsidies were a year be hind so they issued twice in the one year.
    could have been £30/ewe that year.
    Am I remembering it right or does anyone remember ???????
    The whole thing was abused anyway and the hills got overgrazed.
    I shore sheep for people that could get them from the north, shear them, inspect them and factory them within a few weeks

Spot on but think ewe sub was nearer 20 pound at the time plus the DA got an extra top up as far as I know.
    Remember getting the double payment one year.

The sub money was nice but the hogget price collapse on the Monday following the end of retention (late March/early April?) used to be spectacular.
    Brought 75kg char. cross ewe lambs to Kilkenny for a neighbour that had them soley for the sub.These were the ones too heavy for the factory.
    No feeding,just ran on grass and stubble from October till the earliest sale date possible after retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Young95 wrote: »
    What they quoting ?

5;50 to 5;60 flat inc. QA for this morning.Just in the door having a mug of coffee after dropping a load in Kildare.Not overly busy and still keen for stock.

i never seen prices like that this time of year. great stuff. a hard brexit will have us all in dairy money yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i never seen prices like that this time of year. great stuff. a hard brexit will have us all in dairy money yet.

I was reading a bit about the proposed customs checks on the borders and what that would involve in terms of live animal trade. Seemingly, any British animals being traded to the north for slaughter would have to be accounted for in northern plants so the old ruse of sheep being exported to the north and moved down south for slaughter to keep a lid on prices down here could finally be coming to an end.

what a bigger one is british lamb being brought across the border and and when there really stuck they go to carlisle mart and buy up lambs and bring them back to navan to slaughter as irish lamb, the lamb never grazed a blade of republic of ireland grass. surely there will be a duty on those lambs making it unsustainable. the other side of the coin is British lamb can t be sold into the EU without tax and duties making it too expensive for France, Belgium, Holland and Sweden the big importers of lamb. Leaves Ireland as the only European country of any scale with the market to themselves.NZ lamb quota not being filled at minute and wont be. NZ flock is diminishing every year as farmers convert more and more land to dairy, vast majority of NZ lamb going to Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Sold 12 40 kg Belclare x Texel ewe lambs today €91, also had 10 suffolk x Belclare 42 kg which sold at €104. Amazing the difference a bit of colour can make to the price of sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sold 12 40 kg Belclare x Texel ewe lambs today €91, also had 10 suffolk x Belclare 42 kg which sold at €104. Amazing the difference a bit of colour can make to the price of sheep.

What area is this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Tileman wrote: »
    What area is this ?

Elphin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

I see on the indo factories paying up to 5.70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

kk.man wrote: »
    I see on the indo factories paying up to 5.70

It was given in marts yesterday for factory weight lambs.
    Will we see €6 by end of September?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

41kg 96 euro speckled face weather lambs grass fed

50318975803_f6abf31882.jpg20200908_125309 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

Factory or mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

50318975803_f6abf31882.jpg20200908_125309 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

Factory or mart?

Mart for me

Tileman wrote: »
    Mart for me

Mart is good at the moment but a neighbour got 116 for 42kg typhon fed lambs in ICM last week, so if they're killing out well like those the factory is probably better

Mart is good at the moment but a neighbour got 116 for 42kg typhon fed lambs in ICM last week, so if they're killing out well like those the factory is probably better

They are booked to go to ICM tomorrow but half thinking of chancing the mart with them

They are booked to go to ICM tomorrow but half thinking of chancing the mart with them

Even meal fed wouldn't kill out like typhon fed lambs, my neighbour is even thinking of dropping the weight because of the free meat he gave them.
    He's after buying a prattley scales same as mine so his weights are right
    In the mart you can always bring them home, have you any idea of their weight

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Even meal fed wouldn't kill out like typhon fed lambs, my neighbour is even thinking of dropping the weight because of the free meat he gave them.

What sort of money are those prattley scales costing do you know ?

Majority are over 40kg id say. ill weigh them tonight

• Advertisement

Young95 wrote: »
    What sort of money are those prattley scales costing do you know ?

€3000, he's in our lamb group and if you want to maximise your price you need accurate weighing.
    He bought a new one two years ago and if he put a lamb in twice it gave a different weight the second time, person that sold him the scales didn't want to know about it.
    It had the same Weigh Scale Indicator as prattley so he kept the Weigh Scale Indicator, hung a €30 clock on the other scale and sold it. Weigh Scale Indicator is working perfect on the prattley

Advertisement