Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Lambs are surely scarce.Last week was the biggest kill ever.Agents ringing around pretty much every day.Talking to a neighbour tonight and he has lambs to kill tomorrow at 4.75 to 23 kgs( inc.QA I assume)

Blockade is (from ifa text) next Monday which is a bank holiday which is hardly of much use only to get a few minutes on the telly on a slow news day.Bit late at this stage methinks.Seems one farm union seems to have been caught with their pants down and are rushing to make a bit of noise.Sounds like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Lamb prices are on the up but will they hold after Christmas?
    Have about 120 or so left here but nothing fit for a week or two so no real panic yet.SFP has hit most bank accounts so the pressure to sell will have lessened in many cases.

I .ve lambs going in to night for to morrow @ 4.85
    blockade is from 3 mon to 3 on tues if manpower is availabe

as i said a few soft sellers will always fcuk it up & the factories/agents know to play them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

orm0nd wrote: »
    I .ve lambs going in to night for to morrow @ 4.85
    blockade is from 3 mon to 3 on tues if manpower is availabe

as i said a few soft sellers will always fcuk it up & the factories/agents know to play them

Where you getting the 4.85?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I'm at a loss to understand blockade of sheep factories at the minute?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Willfarman wrote: »

Good few trailers dropping off lambs at the factory this evening. They must be anxious for them before the blockage for next week. Wasn't dropping off any myself just passing by. I'd say they got a nice few at 4.85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

no protest at ICM, in navan and Camolin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sold lambs yesterday, 48kg's - 100 euro, mix or wew and wethers !

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spuddey

Sold ram lambs Tue
    50 kg 94 euro.
    45 kg. 84
    They weren't factory fit we to have gone back last few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

spuddey wrote: »
    Sold ram lambs Tue
    50 kg 94 euro.
    45 kg. 84
    They weren't factory fit we to have gone back last few weeks

What breed and type were they? The 50 kg lads can't of been that far off?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Sold lambs yesterday, 48kg's - 100 euro, mix or wew and wethers !

I had the job of looking after the groups lambs on thurs, it was nice seeing so many crossing the hundred euros
    Still have eighty left here:D

rangler1 wrote: »
    I had the job of looking after the groups lambs on thurs, it was nice seeing so many crossing the hundred euros
    Still have eighty left here:D

How did u know they crossed the 100. Do u wait for them to be killed. Do you have a central collection facility

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    How did u know they crossed the 100. Do u wait for them to be killed. Do you have a central collection facility

Had to go to the factory with them, coordinator was on holiday, so I had to sort the different owners lambs, we check the nos on the dockets and prices in the office after, we really have a good coordinator, I wouldn't like to do it every week,
    We have collection facility in edenderry, tullamore , gurteen ag college, moate, mountrath, birr, so cover a huge area.
    I thought lambs were killing very well and a lot getting €103+, a good few lambs were fed and you'd see it, I didn't have any there myself,

They were TexilX .the 50kg had the frame Bu weren't factory fit

They were TexilX .the 50kg had the frame Bu weren't factory fit

Had to go to the factory with them, coordinator was on holiday, so I had to sort the different owners lambs, we check the nos on the dockets and prices in the office after, we really have a good coordinator, I wouldn't like to do it every week,
    We have collection facility in edenderry, tullamore , gurteen ag college, moate, mountrath, birr, so cover a huge area.
    I thought lambs were killing very well and a lot getting €103+, a good few lambs were fed and you'd see it, I didn't have any there myself,

That's a big area. Good bit of work involved in that. Presume the co ordinator get a price per head for looking after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

How do you get into the producer group?

gazahayes wrote: »
    How do you get into the producer group?

Do you live near any of those collection points
    We also facilitate organic lambs, we don't negotiate the price but they can use our lorries

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Do you live near any of those collection points
    We also facilitate organic lambs, we don't negotiate the price but they can use our lorries

I'm about 15 mins from gurteen hope to have lambs coming fit in batches this year all going well.

gazahayes wrote: »
    I'm about 15 mins from gurteen hope to have lambs coming fit in batches this year all going well.

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Sold 10 ewe lambs at Tuam mart this evening 45kg €142 very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

red bull wrote: »

Excellent price! Was in Blessington today and weathers and rams making four or five euro along with two euro a kilo. Shearling rams, Scotch and Cheviot and some Charolaois making between 100 and 150. Classy looking suffolk made around 450

• Advertisement

That was some price red bull. Must have been some lambs or was it a bidding war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Heard there was a lad in Tuam last night who was also getting 142 euro for lambs but didn't sell. Apparently he was selling them off farm and just bought them in to see how price compared. Did you see this goin on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Bet they were pure black faced lambs.

Has anyone else noticed that these good prices for ewe lambs are only for pure suffolk types? It used to be speckled faces got a good price but flavour of the month are definetely suffolk. Mine are all white :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

its just fecking fashion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Just having the dinner and looking through the kill sheet from last week.Lambs came into 106.31 after deductions.Thats at 4.80 a kilo.
    Happy enough with them.
    Was thinking of holding them for another week or two as price looks like rising but they would start to go overweight very quickly at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Came home from mart today with lambs unsold. Was being offered €75 for 44kg lambs . Not something I like doing but felt money was that bit too poor.

Went to roscrea mart today .Brought the ram lambs unsold from 2weeks ago out again today. They weighted the same. Sold them for €90 a head each.

Also saw lots of ewe lambs selling. Very few made above €100. I think the most I saw was around €105 for ones that weighted 52kg.

However stores were very dear. 25kg ewe lambs made €64.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Sami23 wrote: »
    Heard there was a lad in Tuam last night who was also getting 142 euro for lambs but didn't sell. Apparently he was selling them off farm and just bought them in to see how price compared. Did you see this goin on ?
    I think he sold them later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Went to roscrea mart today .Brought the ram lambs unsold from 2weeks ago out again today. They weighted the same. Sold them for €90 a head each.

Also saw lots of ewe lambs selling. Very few made above €100. I think the most I saw was around €105 for ones that weighted 52kg.

However stores were very dear. 25kg ewe lambs made €64.

good work

a bit of a cartel with buyers in roscrea , they pick their lots b4 hand ,

in fairness the auctioneer tries his utmost for the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

His a good auctioneer alright. Even tries to squeeze the extra 1/2 a euro bid as well. In fairness you could get the messing going on at any mart unfortunately ( I've come across much worse ). Just be wise to it and know when to sell and know when to walk .

• Advertisement

Bet they were pure black faced lambs.

Has anyone else noticed that these good prices for ewe lambs are only for pure suffolk types? It used to be speckled faces got a good price but flavour of the month are definetely suffolk. Mine are all white :(

I use to always have jet black Suffolk faces for years and sell in tullamore. All anybody wanted was the speckled faces

Advertisement