Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

wrangler wrote: »
    €3000, he's in our lamb group and if you want to maximise your price you need accurate weighing.
    He bought a new one two years ago and if he put a lamb in twice it gave a different weight the second time, person that sold him the scales didn't want to know about it.
    It had the same Weigh Scale Indicator as prattley so he kept the Weigh Scale Indicator, hung a €30 clock on the other scale and sold it. Weigh Scale Indicator is working perfect on the prattley

€3000 is a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

€3000, he's in our lamb group and if you want to maximise your price you need accurate weighing.
    He bought a new one two years ago and if he put a lamb in twice it gave a different weight the second time, person that sold him the scales didn't want to know about it.
    It had the same Weigh Scale Indicator as prattley so he kept the Weigh Scale Indicator, hung a €30 clock on the other scale and sold it. Weigh Scale Indicator is working perfect on the prattley

Does the scales have automatic drafting for the 3k?

Bad form on the original scale seller...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

What exactly is the benefits of having one of them, I had a quick look at them online and looks like a good yoke but can't see how €3k could be justified for one, unless you had massive numbers of sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What exactly is the benefits of having one of them, I had a quick look at them online and looks like a good yoke but can't see how €3k could be justified for one, unless you had massive numbers of sheep.

We bought ours when we had a lot of sheep, we have it linked to the computer program, the reader transmits the tag number to the weight indicator on the scales and the weight indicator records it with the weight, it also tells the daily weight gain since the last weighing.
    You can then take off the weight indicator then and download the information on the computer.
    With the automatic drafting it costs €7000+
    They're an aquired taste them gimmicks, not my scene

We bought ours when we had a lot of sheep, we have it linked to the computer program, the reader transmits the tag number to the weight indicator on the scales and the weight indicator records it with the weight, it also tells the daily weight gain since the last weighing.
    You can then take off the weight indicator then and download the information on the computer.
    With the automatic drafting it costs €7000+
    They're an aquired taste them gimmicks, not my scene

I did more research into them since, I suppose it wouldn't be a bad investment after a few years when it can do all that, things like daily weight gain would be overlooked here to be honest, but a valuable figure to determine problems before they become more serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Even meal fed wouldn't kill out like typhon fed lambs, my neighbour is even thinking of dropping the weight because of the free meat he gave them.
    He's after buying a prattley scales same as mine so his weights are right
    In the mart you can always bring them home, have you any idea of their weight

8 were between 42 and 55kg. 4 under that ill keep on a few weeks. I have loads of grass at the moment

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    8 were between 42 and 55kg. 4 under that ill keep on a few weeks. I have loads of grass at the moment

Yea you'd be better going to the mart, it'd be a waste sending over 48kg to the factory.
    I haven't sold in the mart in years, others will know better but I think I'd put them in two batches , under 48 and over 48, as I say others will know better

We're getting 5.60 and 5.70 for Rs and Us today.
    80c/kg more than this week last year
    Happy days

We're getting 5.60 and 5.70 for Rs and Us today.
    80c/kg more than this week last year
    Happy days

Whats driving the high prices for this time of year? I stupidly killed lambs that were a bit light in the middle of August at 5.10 thinking they were going to drop in price, but should have held them. Worth 95 each then and worth 110 plus now.

Are the brits filling their freezers before brexit? I saw recently where a quarter of all sheep in the EU are in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Are the brits filling their freezers before brexit? I saw recently where a quarter of all sheep in the EU are in the UK.

I think they've been selling alot of sheep over the last 12 months in anticipation of Brexit and what's being produced now is being hoovered up by domestic demand; so the factories arent bringing in the numbers they like, so they've to pay us accordingly to keep supply going.

Whats driving the high prices for this time of year? I stupidly killed lambs that were a bit light in the middle of August at 5.10 thinking they were going to drop in price, but should have held them. Worth 95 each then and worth 110 plus now.

€118 today for 44kg, the Ewe lamb that had the Rectal prolapse made €122. 55.
    She'd be dead only for the harness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

this time last year and ever since sheep farmers in Britain have culled theire flocks hard and not replaced them, thats where the drop in numbers has come from. the UK sheep industry faces almost total wipeout post Brexit, the will be left with just their own market. All Uk sheep exports go into EU. Miniscule amounts to North Africa and Middle East and these are low value cuts. all the government owned landed estates have culled very hard thier flocks, some have gotten rid of 300-500 ewe flocks over space of a few weeks.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    this time last year and ever since sheep farmers in Britain have culled theire flocks hard and not replaced them, thats where the drop in numbers has come from. the UK sheep industry faces almost total wipeout post Brexit, the will be left with just their own market. All Uk sheep exports go into EU. Miniscule amounts to North Africa and Middle East and these are low value cuts. all the government owned landed estates have culled very hard thier flocks, some have gotten rid of 300-500 ewe flocks over space of a few weeks.

So eventhough lambs are very dear, they might hold into January. There is plenty of confidence in the market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

So eventhough lambs are very dear, they might hold into January. There is plenty of confidence in the market at the moment.

Did you buy yet, memory?

Did you buy yet, memory?

No. Waiting for corn to be cut and silage to be wrapped. They’d have the run of the whole place at the minute. Hoping to go before end of month to Baltinglass. We’ll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

my thinking of that is that we have had some increse in ewe numbers but its not very much maybe 5% in last 5 years. So lambs wont come out of the sky come january when the supply begins to traditionally slow down. Februrary , March and April are usually very tight for lamb numbers for factories even into May now that htere are very few early lambers. At this point ICM usually head to Carlisle in northern England for lambs/hoggets bring them back to stranraer and over to larne then down to navan and sometimes camolin for slaughter. if this avenue is closed then you would think lambs will be massive money in these tight months. Now I heard this come up at a meeting 3 years ago by some far sighted farmer, the ICM manager was their and he kind of brushed over it saying he would think a no deal brexit was very long odds and Britain prob wouldnt even leave the EU when the time came, however he was extremely sheepish if you pardon the pun at the thought if that scenario, nobody spelled out the ins and outs of it and the talk moved on, he did mention that worse case scenario was northern lambs or donegal even lambs would be stalled/delayed coming down and maybe the future of the plant would be up in the air then.

i dont but it to be honest they sheep meat companies will need to find deeper pockets thats all, i dont believe they couldnt make a profit in that scenario. either way brexit or no hard brexit, British sheep will have basicaally no market bar their own domestic market thus i would think more culling is in the offing in Britain. irish farmers wont be able to keep lambs into France alone never mind any of the other big markets they have in europe, Sweden is growing at a huge rate as is France as a destination for sheep meat from Ireland, the Muslim population is driving the demand and that cohort has grown hugelly and continues to from migration from North Africa.

I do feel for British sheep farmers there getting an awful doing they really led the way in sheep farming the last 300 odd years most of their knowlodge is what irish farmers modelled. I always felt the sheep sector was given a lot more respect in England/Scotland /Wales then in ireland.

So maybe just maybe the irish sheep farmers day has come, in the same way as the Dairy man had his day. My plan is to up ewe numbers and hire in a farm relief man for a few weeks in spring each year while i keep the day job going. i have alot of time off in my job its just the lambing i need help in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

my thinking of that is that we have had some increse in ewe numbers but its not very much maybe 5% in last 5 years. So lambs wont come out of the sky come january when the supply begins to traditionally slow down. Februrary , March and April are usually very tight for lamb numbers for factories even into May now that htere are very few early lambers. At this point ICM usually head to Carlisle in northern England for lambs/hoggets bring them back to stranraer and over to larne then down to navan and sometimes camolin for slaughter. if this avenue is closed then you would think lambs will be massive money in these tight months. Now I heard this come up at a meeting 3 years ago by some far sighted farmer, the ICM manager was their and he kind of brushed over it saying he would think a no deal brexit was very long odds and Britain prob wouldnt even leave the EU when the time came, however he was extremely sheepish if you pardon the pun at the thought if that scenario, nobody spelled out the ins and outs of it and the talk moved on, he did mention that worse case scenario was northern lambs or donegal even lambs would be stalled/delayed coming down and maybe the future of the plant would be up in the air then.

i dont but it to be honest they sheep meat companies will need to find deeper pockets thats all, i dont believe they couldnt make a profit in that scenario. either way brexit or no hard brexit, British sheep will have basicaally no market bar their own domestic market thus i would think more culling is in the offing in Britain. irish farmers wont be able to keep lambs into France alone never mind any of the other big markets they have in europe, Sweden is growing at a huge rate as is France as a destination for sheep meat from Ireland, the Muslim population is driving the demand and that cohort has grown hugelly and continues to from migration from North Africa.

I do feel for British sheep farmers there getting an awful doing they really led the way in sheep farming the last 300 odd years most of their knowlodge is what irish farmers modelled. I always felt the sheep sector was given a lot more respect in England/Scotland /Wales then in ireland.

So maybe just maybe the irish sheep farmers day has come, in the same way as the Dairy man had his day. My plan is to up ewe numbers and hire in a farm relief man for a few weeks in spring each year while i keep the day job going. i have alot of time off in my job its just the lambing i need help in.
    +1
    It's going to be a a case of who needs who the most EU or UK... and who blinks first

, he did mention that worse case scenario was northern lambs or donegal even lambs would be stalled/delayed coming down and maybe the future of the plant would be up in the air then.

i dont but it to be honest they sheep meat companies will need to find deeper pockets thats all, i dont believe they couldnt make a profit in that scenario.

Ya, all depends on what happens with Brexit, however I'd take any claims of potentially closing a factory with a pitch or salt. Cannt see any senario in which larry would close his doors and let someone else in to take his place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

Any word on prices for next week. 5.60 or 70 to be got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Heard lambs were back a €10 in Brockagh mart on Monday. But I heard it from a guy trying to buy some lambs of me, so might not be reliable.

Some factories have cut back the quotes abit. Maybe trying to take heat out of prices, whether justified or not , who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ennis Monday

Good size sheep sale again today with just over 400 on offer. Trade improved again on the week especially for butcher type lambs and also ewe lambs. Lambs averaged €2.40/Kg today. Strong trade for cull ewes making €70 to €120.

Lambs:

10– 49kg - €126 - €2.57/kg

12 – 48kg - €126 - €2.62/kg

4 - 48kg - €121 - €2.52/kg

8 - 46kg - €122 - €2.65/kg

4 – 52kg - €131 - €2.52/kg

11 – 48kg - €122 - €2.54/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

What is people's guess as to the strength of the lamb or hogg trade in spring 2021 ? Will lamb retain its keen trade into 2021 ?

OneMan37 wrote: »
    What is people's guess as to the strength of the lamb or hogg trade in spring 2021 ? Will lamb retain its keen trade into 2021 ?

I'd hope when Brexit bites that the trade would stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Heard lambs were back a €10 in Brockagh mart on Monday. But I heard it from a guy trying to buy some lambs of me, so might not be reliable.

Yeah back a bit alright

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Have a few booked in for later on the week 5.20 best I could get, anyone doing any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

5.20 was the best I could get last week and I said no. 5.50 to 5.20 drop in one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Box09 wrote: »
    5.20 was the best I could get last week and I said no. 5.50 to 5.20 drop in one week.

That's still €110 so not too bad in fairness especially compared to last year is the way I look at it

• Advertisement

Have a few booked in for later on the week 5.20 best I could get, anyone doing any better?

That with QA?

Advertisement