Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dawn

Some demand now, our group'll be 5.55 and 5.65 tomorrow.
    They use in house graders and they're very fair, could never complain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

wrangler wrote: »

Much difference in grades when sold flat or on graded price.?

I sent lambs up to them aswell,and they would likely been in lorry all day etc and i was never yet disappointed with grades/kill outs

Cant fault them,i know many beef farmers have issues now tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sami23 wrote: »
    Its always a flat rate across the board when I send mine to Ballyhaunis

In a group

Much difference in grades when sold flat or on graded price.?

Never sold ungraded in the last 30 years,
    They'd probably do it more casually if they're not paying on grade, we breed our own replacements so there'd be a fair maternal influence in the flock but it never varied much from 50/50 Us and Rs, Lleyns drag it down a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Always sell flat price here mainly kildare or icm , some to kepak but not in last 2/3 year's.
    Mostly terminal sires so would grade 90% plus U .Wonder if that would change on graded price?

Always sell flat price here mainly kildare or icm , some to kepak but not in last 2/3 year's.
    Mostly terminal sires so would grade 90% plus U .Wonder if that would change on graded price?

Probably would, they'd be a lot more careful with U's, If you're using suffolky ewe.s and terminal sires, there's not much problem getting Us ,
    Even if you do , it's only €2 on a €100 lamb

We only get 10c for u's, just checked it there 27.8% graded u, all texel and suffolk ewes and charollais, texel and vendee rams used, ewes would be big so lambs wouldn't be very fat when at the weights

Lads with suffolk lambs would get more u's in athleague compared to us, and they not getting paid for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

In a group

Sent through an agent

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

There’s some boom in the sheep trade at present. Will it last tho ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Young95 wrote: »
    There’s some boom in the sheep trade at present. Will it last tho ?

An awful lot of sheep killed. UK trade booming also and many new markets on the continent. I cant see it falling apart now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

kk.man wrote: »
    An awful lot of sheep killed. UK trade booming also and many new markets on the continent. I cant see it falling apart now.

Sheep could be a better option than dairying for some lads. It’s a pity beef isn’t booming.

Sheep could be a better option than dairying for some lads. It’s a pity beef isn’t booming.

Any number of sheep doesn't really suit part time and it's a lot handier to get into a 1000 ewes Versus 100 cows with regards capital costs

Sheep is not 'sexy' enough for young ppl and diary has proven to be a more stable income.

Any number of sheep doesn't really suit part time and it's a lot handier to get into a 1000 ewes Versus 100 cows with regards capital costs

A neighbour has a nice little earner partime with over 200 ewes, but he seems to be able to change jobs easy enough as he takes off 6 weeks for lambing.
    Not everyone would be as lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have a few 25kg and 30 kg lambs knocking around. Lowland Charolais x , any idea what their worth in mart atm ? I saw 35 kg ones making big money in the mart, but dont know that these ones are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Have a few 25kg and 30 kg lambs knocking around. Lowland Charolais x , any idea what their worth in mart atm ? I saw 35 kg ones making big money in the mart, but dont know that these ones are worth.

Any pictures?

razor8 wrote: »
    Any pictures?

I dont have any specific pics, but the charolais x ones at the back of this pic, they're between 25-30kg. The rest are in the front are bigger lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I dont have any specific pics, but the charolais x ones at the back of this pic, they're between 25-30kg. The rest are in the front are bigger lambs

€2.60 - €2.85/kg (not been smart but only way is to show them)

orm0nd wrote: »
    €2.60 - €2.85/kg (not been smart but only way is to show them)

No bother, that pic was taken today of some of my ewe lambs. Alot of the ones nearer the front would be up around 40kg. I haven't gone through them yet to pull the small ones out, just trying to gauge what type of store is worth.

• Advertisement

No bother, that pic was taken today of some of my ewe lambs. Alot of the ones nearer the front would be up around 40kg. I haven't gone through them yet to pull the small ones out, just trying to gauge what type of store is worth.

Are you selling speckle face Borris ewe lambs by any chance?

kk.man wrote: »
    Are you selling speckle face Borris ewe lambs by any chance?

Haha, no, that's the result of a easycare put to a black face mountain ewe. Most of my sheep are all white faced, but theres still the odd black faced ewe that throws them lambs.

If bringing them to the mart I would batch them by size & type. Seems to be a premium when they all look the same. With prices at the moment I would be disappointed if they didn’t make €85 plus

If you go into the LSL app for any sale you can look back at the prices & videos of each lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Watched about 30 mins of Manorhamilton trade on Wednesday on the phone,compared to the last few weeks it looked like well fed cull ewes and thin cull ewes were up 15 to 20 euro in price,back to the prices that were going back in August.Store lambs up 4 or 5 euro as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Made €112 for a dozen heavy cast ewes in Baltinglass earlier. It's good to get similar prices to when they were bought as ewe lambs a few years back...

For lads that put stock up on donedeal and sell from home, what way do people work it ? Is it different when selling a few grand worth of sheep ie a full trailer versus a handy ram ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

For lads that put stock up on donedeal and sell from home, what way do people work it ? Is it different when selling a few grand worth of sheep ie a full trailer versus a handy ram ?

Bank transfer or cash.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Bank transfer or cash.

Sheep stay in field until funds clear so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Bought sheep a few weeks ago from a stranger and seller insisted I do the bank transfer in the field and that the funds were in his account before I left. He said that he was stung before.

Advertisement