Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sheep stay in field until funds clear so

I’d be the opposite. I nearly always take a cheque. U generally get the feel of someone after a few mins chat.
    I’ve been refused twice myself though and to go to bank link to draw out cash. Only that I was was gone so far I would have left them there.

arctictree wrote: »
    Bought sheep a few weeks ago from a stranger and seller insisted I do the bank transfer in the field and that the funds were in his account before I left. He said that he was stung before.

But it can take 24 hours to transfer money if the two banks are different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Tileman wrote: »
    But it can take 24 hours to transfer money if the two banks are different

I have both BOI and AIB so can do instant transfers generally...

arctictree wrote: »
    I have both BOI and AIB so can do instant transfers generally...

Anyone get prices for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yeah 47-48kgs made between €114 and €118 in Athenry today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Sami23 wrote: »
    Yeah 47-48kgs made between €114 and €118 in Athenry today

That wouldn’t seem great when you see what stores are making?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

560 to 22kg all in

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

560 to 22kg all in

Where was that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young95 wrote: »
    Where was that ?

An agrilloyd rep in the yard today told me jennings were paying 5.85.
    I didn't even know they killed lambs.
    Never met such a persistent rep

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

5.55 ICM

• Advertisement

Box09 wrote: »
    5.55 ICM

Have 20 heavy lambs and had intended going to the factory as normal but lights gone in the jeep for the trailer socket. Checked all the fuses. May get it fixed but might head to the mart at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Box09 wrote: »
    5.55 ICM

That QA included ?Hearing 5;60/5;70 going at the moment.

Wonder what effect if any will Brexit in 2021 have ?Are processors filling stores at the moment and will the New Year see a stagnation and/or price fall ?
    Perhaps not but its hard to see where demand is coming from at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

Wonder what effect if any will Brexit in 2021 have ?Are processors filling stores at the moment and will the New Year see a stagnation and/or price fall ?

I wouldn't say that there is that much storage, we learned that much from the beef protests last year.

I would say prices will stay strong, lambs can't be got from Britain at the moment, brexit could halt British lamb going to the continent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

wrangler wrote: »
    An agrilloyd rep in the yard today told me jennings were paying 5.85.
    I didn't even know they killed lambs.
    Never met such a persistent rep
    Did you buy off him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Have 20 heavy lambs and had intended going to the factory as normal but lights gone in the jeep for the trailer socket. Checked all the fuses. May get it fixed but might head to the mart at this stage

The wireless lights are a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Young95 wrote: »

kildare chilling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

seen from people i follow on twitter there was heavy ewe culls last summer 2019 and autumn 2019, ahead of brexit so lower lamb crops in britain last spring.
    Its an absolute disaster for british sheep farmers, all the lamb they sell to France now will have a tarriff on it, Irish lamb wont . britain is out main rival for our markets in France, Belgium, Germany and Sweden.
    Now they look to be gone, irish factories facing a huge problem in sourcing enough lamb for ccontracts. dont forget the northern lambs could be tarriffed crossing the border. this was how they kept ceiling on prices from january -may british hoggets killed in republic having never eaten a blade of irish grass, .....the worm may well have turned.

Teagasc in their clambering to drive the dairy gravy boat havent given a second thought to pushing sheep numbers for bigger output, i would think MII will have been in thier ear for a long time to do this but as we all know Teagasc dont want to know about sheep, the were always the peasant relation let alone the poor relation. not sure where it goes from here, its totally opposite side of the coin to beef, where we have to much we now are in the brilliant position of having the factories where we want them.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    seen from people i follow on twitter there was heavy ewe culls last summer 2019 and autumn 2019, ahead of brexit so lower lamb crops in britain last spring.
    Its an absolute disaster for british sheep farmers, all the lamb they sell to France now will have a tarriff on it, Irish lamb wont . britain is out main rival for our markets in France, Belgium, Germany and Sweden.
    Now they look to be gone, irish factories facing a huge problem in sourcing enough lamb for ccontracts. dont forget the northern lambs could be tarriffed crossing the border. this was how they kept ceiling on prices from january -may british hoggets killed in republic having never eaten a blade of irish grass, .....the worm may well have turned.

Teagasc in their clambering to drive the dairy gravy boat havent given a second thought to pushing sheep numbers for bigger output, i would think MII will have been in thier ear for a long time to do this but as we all know Teagasc dont want to know about sheep, the were always the peasant relation let alone the poor relation. not sure where it goes from here, its totally opposite side of the coin to beef, where we have to much we now are in the brilliant position of having the factories where we want them.

ICM used to bring in english lamb and clam it was going back to England which is acceptable, Whethr it was true or not it muddied the waters and gave them plenty of opportunity to sell it elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

I hope your right dickie, took over the farm this year from my father, back in Feb/march I thought it was gonna be a brutal year for sheep what with brexit coming down the line and then corona arriving but it turned out the complete opposite. Hopefully next year turns out something similar price wise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The sheep business is able to react faster than beef when it comes to increasing supply. A ewe lamb born in March-2020 would have her own lamb reared and on the factory hook in Sept-2021. A heifer calf born on the same day in March-2020 won't have her own calf on the factory hook until Dec-2023.

I'm hearing that extra ewe lambs are being retained for breeding this year so they'll increase the amount of lamb available for factories in 2021.

I hope this doesn't mean reduced price. The big thing I would see is the lack of transparency around factories and marketing. Factories won't reveal where they source some of the lamb and won't say what pressure/price retailers impose. And the well-paid geniuses in Bord Bia can't predict or demand for lamb from one week to the next.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

If a lad had nice ewe lambs, should he consider keeping them until next June?

I wouldn't criticise them for that, sheep were a miserable enterprise when there was 4m ewes in the country, It's grand the way it is.
    Sheep are grand the way they are, you're not going to do much better than a ewee rearing two lambs and get them to the factory......... most serious sheep producers are at that stage, Teagasc are at that stage and have plenty projects going on and are finding the same thing, we follow their performance and can equal it without much bother

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I wouldn't criticise them for that, sheep were a miserable enterprise when there was 4m ewes in the country, It's grand the way it is.
    Sheep are grand the way they are, you're not going to do much better than a ewee rearing two lambs and get them to the factory......... most serious sheep producers are at that stage, Teagasc are at that stage and have plenty projects going on and are finding the same thing, we follow their performance and can equal it without much bother

Are lads letting out 500 ewes and weaning a 1000???

Are lads letting out 500 ewes and weaning a 1000???

Don't know whether this is behind a pay wall, but yes the science is there to do it and teagasc developed the belclare.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/over-850-lambs-born-from-330-ewes-in-co-offaly-265947

Personally I think this is too far, is there a reason to push the ewe and sheep farming any further

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Don't know whether this is behind a pay wall, but yes the science is there to do it and teagasc developed the belclare.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/over-850-lambs-born-from-330-ewes-in-co-offaly-265947

Personally I think this is too far, is there a reason to push the ewe and sheep farming any further

I think I remember reading that - Belclare flock? And are they all lambed down in a very short time as well - maybe 3 weeks?
    It sounded tough goog if it’s the article I am thinking of - but, good lamb crop and twas only a few weeks...
    He had about 150+ pets?

I think I remember reading that - Belclare flock? And are they all lambed down in a very short time as well - maybe 3 weeks?
    It sounded tough goog if it’s the article I am thinking of - but, good lamb crop and twas only a few weeks...
    He had about 150+ pets?

Was there a paywall, did you even get to see the pictures

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

He had about 150+ pets?

I remember reading that - think they scanned around 2.3 and yes, reared a load of pets.

Good luck to them. As long as they don't have bank repayments 100% dependent on that kind of high production year in, year out, then they're grand.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

Have been running lleyns here then last 9-10 years. Like the belclare they are great to scan, no bother scanning over 2.0, without flushing. flushed them hard one year and it they scanned around 2.3 or that. I crossed them with nz Suffolks this year and kept the ewe lambs. I'd be happier scanning 1.9- 2.0 or that so hopefully this brings them down a bit. The pets are a serious drain on time when things are already busy enough, then a lot of the time triplets or quads are smaller and not as hardy as a good pair of twins and if weather is not great they need holding in and it is severe on ewes as well carrying them
    But if you are housing sheep I think you need to be scanning as close to 2.0 as possible, over 2 and things get out of handy quickly with numbers. So it's a fine line really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Was there a paywall, did you even get to see the pictures

Yes paywall, didn't get to see anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

That is absolutely ridiculous, I work for a farmer now that was in the better farm scheme a few years ago, he now has a lot less ewes and a lot less hassle, teagasc system works extremely well above in athenry when you have 20 lads knocking about, and the best facilities known to man, these belcalre and Suffolk ewes are the most Labour intensive ewes possible

3 students, 3 siblings, a father and mother, and himself, 330 ewes should be a doddle, how is that in anyway similar to a lad doing it by himself or with minimal help.
    If they had to pay for labour I wonder how the balance sheet would look,
    I bet he doesn't have 660 lambs weaned after being reared by the 330 ewes either

Advertisement