Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Agree 100%.Have BPS ,GLAS and Sheep Welfare scheme here and without those things would be tight to say the least.
    Just pointing out what you would need from market returns alone which some seem to think is the way forward !!!

Far as I can see all the direct supports are much more important than the actual price received for the lamb at times although a good price is also very welcome.

Direct headache payments benefit everyone bar the farmer. Short memories!
    Payments for bio diversity, environmentally compliance in tandem but if you put a payment on the head of a ewe Larry Goodman is going to have it with the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »
    Payments for bio diversity, environmentally compliance in tandem but if you put a payment on the head of a ewe Larry Goodman is going to have it with the head.

You're going to have the stock anyway if you're serious about farming, take any extra money you can get. Our representatives are a long time saying that we'll go broke if we don't get what we want, yet I don't see too many going broke.

wrangler wrote: »
    You're going to have the stock anyway if you're serious about farming, take any extra money you can get. Our representatives are a long time saying that we'll go broke if we don't get what we want, yet I don't see too many going broke.

Not many going broke, but sheep is the one sector of farming where if the processors/retail don’t return a viable price the production falls in tandem.
    Any headache payments that distort the balance that tip numbers in the processors favour they are merciless.

10€ on the lamb is €15 on the ewe.
    Put 10€ sub on the ewe, that may otherwise be let off and it’s another lamb and a half in the system.

Not many going broke, but sheep is the one sector of farming where if the processors/retail don’t return a viable price the production falls in tandem.
    Any headache payments that distort the balance that tip numbers in the processors favour they are merciless.

10€ on the lamb is €15 on the ewe.
    Put 10€ sub on the ewe, that may otherwise be let off and it’s another lamb and a half in the system.

That's the reason that there's quotas, they've learnt that much anyway. EU won't give subsidies if there's a risk of increasing numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

Youve got to play the game that's in front of you... Maximise what ever you can get and then it up to you to do what ever you want with stock numbers. Drive a place on or let it tick over.

• Advertisement

eire23 wrote: »
    Youve got to play the game that's in front of you... Maximise what ever you can get and then it up to you to do what ever you want with stock numbers. Drive a place on or let it tick over.

What I mean is any payment that’s not directly linked to production has a chance of being retained.

What I mean is any payment that’s not directly linked to production has a chance of being retained.

There hasn't been a subsidy that'd increase production in a long time, That was the whole point of decoupling in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

When I said direct supports meant BPS ,Glas etc not a rerun of the ewe premium or the beef premium.
    A reintroduction of either would not be a good thing IMO.Plus EU has gone totally away from any likelyhood of direct producer supports returning.
    Know the ewe welfare scheme and BGDP are those in reality if not in theory but no encouragement to increase numbers with those plus they are dressed up as green ,carbon neutral ,something something benefical.

There hasn't been a subsidy that'd increase production in a long time, That was the whole point of decoupling in 2003

Payments for retention of numbers isn’t any better. A optional payment to get rid of a ewe for the environment on the basis less carbon related inputs is what would shake up lamb price!

Payments for retention of numbers isn’t any better. A optional payment to get rid of a ewe for the environment on the basis less carbon related inputs is what would shake up lamb price!

I persume you are referring to the sheep welfare scheme? I'd doubt anyone would up numbers on that payment alone. But its good to get it all the same, covers stuff that ya would be doing anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

Getting 565 up to 22.5 kg for Monday in Camolin. Is that the run of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

TheDoc77 wrote: »

Is that including QA

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Do you have many to go ? Just curious can you negotiate with a lower number of lambs now as lambs are scarce

eire23 wrote: »
    I persume you are referring to the sheep welfare scheme? I'd doubt anyone would up numbers on that payment alone. But its good to get it all the same, covers stuff that ya would be doing anyways.

No one was upping numbers but anyone in it has to hold the number to the next census.
    Unfortunately non of us can say no to a few Bob but the idea of lamb price being second or a “bonus” after payments is not good and it’s important to make sure directly subsidised sheep farming does not become the norm as the subs never stay where they should.
    It would make better sense to just give it straight to the meat industry and spare our hips knees and backs!

No one was upping numbers but anyone in it has to hold the number to the next census.
    Unfortunately non of us can say no to a few Bob but the idea of lamb price being second or a “bonus” after payments is not good and it’s important to make sure directly subsidised sheep farming does not become the norm as the subs never stay where they should.
    It would make better sense to just give it straight to the meat industry and spare our hips knees and backs!

you don't have to hold your numbers, just notify them of the new number.

I agree with what your saying but the notion that we get a far better price for what we produce and not need subs is wishful thinking. it will be interesting to see what happens in England next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

you don't have to hold your numbers, just notify them of the new number.

Yeah that's grand and if you decide to increase numbers next year again you can't just notify them you have more and they give you extra money! I get paid for 95 ewes in the scheme and min I've lambed in the years after the reference years is 150

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Getting the same here Monday, dif factory

Yeah that's grand and if you decide to increase numbers next year again you can't just notify them you have more and they give you extra money! I get paid for 95 ewes in the scheme and min I've lambed in the years after the reference years is 150

No open ended subsidies now, I've a quota for 400ewes that I don't use and can't rent out or sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

No open ended subsidies now, I've a quota for 400ewes that I don't use and can't rent out or sell.

Your quoto was turned into entitlements which you can rent out or sell. It certainly was not lost

• Advertisement

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Your quoto was turned into entitlements which you can rent out or sell. It certainly was not lost

The sheep welfare quota was, which is the one that Early Riser was referring to, it was only brought in in the last 4 years , and it's non transferable
    IFA are trying to change the reference year, a lot of flocks have changed in the last four years,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

The sheep welfare quota was, which is the one that Early Riser was referring to, it was only brought in in the last 4 years , and it's non transferable

You want jam on both sides of your bread. This was intended to improve welfare of stock, not to become an asset like the former quota did

MIKEKC wrote: »
    You want jam on both sides of your bread. This was intended to improve welfare of stock, not to become an asset like the former quota did

It was only a vehicle for getting money to farmers, that's the reason it's so easy complied with. It's stuff farmers shoulda been doing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I get feck all from the Sheep Welfare Scheme. In the reference year I had culled a lot of my older ewes and bought a load of ewe lambs.

Anyone got prices for this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Tileman wrote: »
    Anyone got prices for this week

I believe they were back a couple of euro in Athenry yesterday anyway

Sami23 wrote: »
    I believe they were back a couple of euro in Athenry yesterday anyway

And up 10c in the Indo today, will they be €6 before christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

And up 10c in the Indo today, will they be €6 before christmas

Just going back through this thread and lads got 5.20 in early October. Great lift at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

5.65 in icm

• Advertisement

Box09 wrote: »
    5.65 in icm

Yea have a load that will be fit for Christmas . These were stores I bought in off the hill and did a serious thrive on grass alone. The ones I sold last week had eaten good but of meal. I’d say I would have done better on the group if I brought them to the mart.

Advertisement