Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone here sell lambs in the last day or two ? What price were youz getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    I get feck all from the Sheep Welfare Scheme. In the reference year I had culled a lot of my older ewes and bought a load of ewe lambs.

Minister for ag said in a INHFA meeting that they were going to change some but it'd be on a case by case basis.
    It's reported on todays IFJ

wrangler wrote: »
    Minister for ag said in a INHFA meeting that they were going to change some but it'd be on a case by case basis.
    It's reported on todays IFJ

What those case by case basis mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Young95 wrote: »
    Anyone here sell lambs in the last day or two ? What price were youz getting?
    Sold a few store lambs today, €97 for 41KG

What those case by case basis mean ?

Each request for more quota will be dealt with individually, It'll be interesting to see will he do that,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Each request for more quota will be dealt with individually, It'll be interesting to see will he do that,

It means talk very nicely to every department man you meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Surely it'd be simpler to have a new reference period over 2 years and change the quota once there was a significant change in numbers.

Significant change could be a 10% difference with no reduction in quota for flocks under 100 or something.

This could surely be done automatically rather than looking individually at everyone that wants an increase. Then they could look at the individual cases where a significant reduction was due to specific circumstances.

clonagh wrote: »
    Sold a few store lambs today, €97 for 41KG

Where they nice lowland lambs or long woolly lambs ?

Yea something needs to be done tho .. like I’ve an extra 120 ewes now from my original quota. Extra 1000 quid would be nice !!

Yea something needs to be done tho .. like I’ve an extra 120 ewes now from my original quota. Extra 1000 quid would be nice !!

Yea and a lot of big flocks gone, it needs to be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

5.75€ all in to 22.5 camolin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Surely it'd be simpler to have a new reference period over 2 years and change the quota once there was a significant change in numbers.

Significant change could be a 10% difference with no reduction in quota for flocks under 100 or something.

This could surely be done automatically rather than looking individually at everyone that wants an increase. Then they could look at the individual cases where a significant reduction was due to specific circumstances.

Agree - the original quota came into being via the census numbers over 2 reference years so why not just follow that precedent?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Jjameson wrote: »

That’s nice money. I’d say they are trying to fill the freezers before brexit, Christmas coming up and the restaurants reopening around Europe. All coming together nicely for us farmers for next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if theeres a no deal brexit surely lambs from antrim and derry etc brought south will have a tariff on them? a lot of northern lambs killed in navan every week

Dickie10 wrote: »
    if theeres a no deal brexit surely lambs from antrim and derry etc brought south will have a tariff on them? a lot of northern lambs killed in navan every week

If we get a concession on the tariffs on our beef going into UK ( which we're fighting for) they'll surely get a concession on lamb coming south.
    If we don't get a concession on the beef, there'll be a lot of farmers changing to sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Where they nice lowland lambs or long woolly lambs ?

They were lowland and the last of the lambs to go. They weren't the best quality...

I was misinformed. 5.70€ to 22.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Been selling a good few trailers of lambs in marts recently as stores. Averaging €80+ for 32kg lambs and €90+ for 35kg lambs also got in excess of €100 for 38kg ewe lambs. Lowland cross. Happy enough, as sheep farmers we've all lived through poor prices, so makes a change when you get abit more then you budgeted for every now and again.

Been selling a good few trailers of lambs in marts recently as stores. Averaging €80+ for 32kg lambs and €90+ for 35kg lambs also got in excess of €100 for 38kg ewe lambs. Lowland cross. Happy enough, as sheep farmers we've all lived through poor prices, so makes a change when you get abit more then you budgeted for every now and again.

Are they horny cross? Are you on a hill?
    It is a strong motivator to feel your work is appreciated or worthwhile. besides the few Bob. I’ve a little quintuplet that I was feeding every 3 hours under the lamb for a week, then after surviving ecoli he was getting a bit of preferential treatment with his foster brother(sold in July) and mother all year. He going on Monday weighing 52kg. Hopefully I haven’t jinxed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Are they horny cross? Are you on a hill?
    It is a strong motivator to feel your work is appreciated or worthwhile. besides the few Bob. !

No I'm on the lowlands. Lleyn x ewes, put to easycare, lleyn and charolais rams. Will get the odd bit of horns coming through the odd sheep, but other then that, vast majority polled. Think the easycares thrived well, but I've only sold my charolais x in marts. All my easycare x lambs sold direct to factory. I just observed other peoples easycare lambs going through marts, that I thought sold poorly, considering I found no difference in how they k.o as a breed. If I was in the market for buying stores, i thought they were good value, in comparison to other breeds.

• Advertisement

Any quotes for tomorrow?

Any quotes for tomorrow?

5.70€ Icm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

5.70€ Icm

Same in Kildare this week.

Went with a load this week at 5:70 to 22.5 Have another few for Friday and hear talk of 5:80 and better to be got.Will know more tomorrow.

Went with a load this week at 5:70 to 22.5 Have another few for Friday and hear talk of 5:80 and better to be got.Will know more tomorrow.

Was that at Kildare?

Was that at Kildare?

Yes.
    Offering 5:80 to 23kgs for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What kind of trade are decent Lowland cull ewes with fair flesh at mo in marts?

Have some to get rid of that were fluke dosed by mistake so had to hold onto them for a while till dose out of system .... am thinking given the uncertainty over Brexit I better sell them this week rather then letting them lie over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got 101 for 70kg cast ewes in Baltinglass earlier. Also got 102 for a pen of 41.5kg wether lambs. Nice to get over the 100 for lightish stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

arctictree wrote: »
    Got 101 for 70kg cast ewes in Baltinglass earlier. Also got 102 for a pen of 41.5kg wether lambs. Nice to get over the 100 for lightish stock...

Any prices for this week. Have some to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

brought 37 kerry stores to navan last night. €5:75 to 23 kg

Advertisement