Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Maybe, but supermarket demand is through the roof and nz only supplying half their quota to the eu

January is always tough, too much put on the credit card at Christmas, beef and lamb would be the first cutback as regards food any way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

wrangler wrote: »
    January is always tough, too much put on the credit card at Christmas, beef and lamb would be the first cutback as regards food any way

I've always found that the dearer stock get the more reluctant lads are to sell them and there's always talk of more money to be got next week. Conversely in a falling trade the same men can't get them sold quick enough and you'd be told they weren't worth having.

Manorhamilton had a very big sheep sale Wednesday night and prices would be back a bit on previous weeks but still very strong compared to other year's. I commented that if there was another 20c pull on quotes that the yard wouldn't hold all the lambs for next week. A reduction in quotes always flushes out more stock than a rise. It's amazing all the men that arrived with 10 or 20 of the last lambs they were feeding but would have held for another few weeks if the trade kept improving. The same men would hold them until Paddy's day if they thought they'd get another few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

It's amazing all the men that arrived with 10 or 20 of the last lambs they were feeding but would have held for another few weeks if the trade kept improving. The same men would hold them until Paddy's day if they thought they'd get another few euro.

Is that not a snap shot in itself of what numbers of lambs are around if lads are down to the last of the loose ends ?

Is that not a snap shot in itself of what numbers of lambs are around if lads are down to the last of the loose ends ?

To a point your correct but why weren't those lambs traded prior to this? If the priced had rose or even been maintained for another week those same lambs would still be kept in hopes that they'd get a bigger lift next week. If the hogget quote hit €8 I guarantee there'd be any number of lambs left in sheds waiting for €8.50. It's always been proven that a few weeks of a rise followed by a sudden drop will flush out the stockpile quicker and easier than a sustained period of price increase.

Fleshed lambs are probably in short supply atm because it's almost impossible to finish large numbers at this time of the year without big input cost. Longer keep stores were very dear all autumn and it was a brave man that bought dear lambs to put into a shed and feed expensive meal with the intention of slaughtering around now. This year his gamble seems to be paying off but if he's done similar in previous year's he's seen both sides of it. I don't see any physical issues with supply that should lead to much of a decrease in quotes for a another few weeks at least. However there's more factors at play and seeing as the recent tactic of paying more hasn't brought about an increase in supply then maybe there going to use the stick as opposed to the carrot for awhile.

Well worded view on the state of play there Albert. Your views sum me up. Sold most last autumn with a small few knocking around. Not pushed either way whenever they go.

• Advertisement

Well worded view on the state of play there Albert. Your views sum me up. Sold most last autumn with a small few knocking around. Not pushed either way whenever they go.

In simple terms I can't see how lambs would be especially plentiful atm and that alone should mean that prices remain high. However supply is only one of the factors at play and this can lead to a deviation from what would seem the initial obvious outcome

I've always reckoned that a workable number of longer keep stores left to there own devices until late spring should earn some level of profit most year's. Yes that's an awful lot of assumptions but it's my belief. However it's not without it's pitfalls and due to a number of other factors I've never succeeded in accomplishing it. Most of my ground isn't suited too over wintering sheep and the bit of early grass growth the stores would require is commandeered by the better half's early lamber's (don't mention the war). The biggest barrier to sheep farming here and perhaps something that I should preface all posts in this subforum with is that I'm wholeheartedly a cattle man and the white wooly lad's have always been a love/hate affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

I've always found that the dearer stock get the more reluctant lads are to sell them and there's always talk of more money to be got next week. Conversely in a falling trade the same men can't get them sold quick enough and you'd be told they weren't worth having.

Manorhamilton had a very big sheep sale Wednesday night and prices would be back a bit on previous weeks but still very strong compared to other year's. I commented that if there was another 20c pull on quotes that the yard wouldn't hold all the lambs for next week. A reduction in quotes always flushes out more stock than a rise. It's amazing all the men that arrived with 10 or 20 of the last lambs they were feeding but would have held for another few weeks if the trade kept improving. The same men would hold them until Paddy's day if they thought they'd get another few euro.

Wouldn’t really agree neighbour of mine let of all his lambs last week 80 lamb lightest was 43kg came into 134 after stoppages
    He reckoned he’d want 40 cents to cover the meal on them light lambs

Duke92 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t really agree neighbour of mine let of all his lambs last week 80 lamb lightest was 43kg came into 134 after stoppages

I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning behind that post? I welcome all viewpoints and my opinions aren't sacrosanct.

I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning behind that post? I welcome all viewpoints and my opinions aren't sacrosanct.

What don’t you understand
    Let them off to factory

I dont follow you on that bit either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I dont follow you on that bit either.

Was it 40c more per kg?. If so he must of put some grub into them.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Was it 40c more per kg?. If so he must of put some grub into them.

Youd be surprised how they can motor through meal when they get going

What don’t you understand
    Let them off to factory

I guessed that he'd killed the lambs but I don't understand the bit about needing 40c to cover the meal?

As for the price those weights of lambs were making that money in the marts locally up until the start of the week. A lot of lad's that would usually have killed there lambs were showing them live the last few weeks and getting the same prices with no haulage or stoppages apart from commission. A man that has a lorry and drag on the road doing factory runs a few times a week was telling us the number of lambs he'd usually haul were noticeably reduced recently as they were going to the marts instead. There were big entries of fat lambs in the sales and they were being bought by agents or regular weekly supplier's and going for direct slaughter. With the live trade you have the same price for the bunch and you know what business you've done straight away.

Think the online bidding has improved selling at marts and means you dont have to hang around to be in the sellers box. You get the best price on offer on the day and its either a yes or no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Youd be surprised how they can motor through meal when they get going

Still though. If you are getting over 5.50 per kg at 23kg there has to be a decent margin in a lamb. In my opinion he's right about the holding out though. If your turning a few quid let them on rather than waiting for the price to rise.

I guessed that he'd killed the lambs but I don't understand the bit about needing 40c to cover the meal?

As for the price those weights of lambs were making that money in the marts locally up until the start of the week. A lot of lad's that would usually have killed there lambs were showing them live the last few weeks and getting the same prices with no haulage or stoppages apart from commission. A man that has a lorry and drag on the road doing factory runs a few times a week was telling us the number of lambs he'd usually haul were noticeably reduced recently as they were going to the marts instead. There were big entries of fat lambs in the sales and they were being bought by agents or regular weekly supplier's and going for direct slaughter. With the live trade you have the same price for the bunch and you know what business you've done straight away.

He reckoned he’d want the lambs to be making 40 cent per kg more to cover the feeding that went into them so he let the small ones of to factory to

He reckoned he’d want the lambs to be making 40 cent per kg more to cover the feeding that went into them so he let the small ones of to factory to

He must have seriously high feed costs if he reckoned that he still needed an additional 40c over what must be record price's for recent year's. What price was the lamb quote this time 12 month's? Surely he'd have been far better off to have offloaded them as stores last backend or let them run until the growth starts and kill off grass.

He must have seriously high feed costs if he reckoned that he still needed an additional 40c over what must be record price's for recent year's. What price was the lamb quote this time 12 month's? Surely he'd have been far better off to have offloaded them as stores last backend or let them run until the growth starts and kill off grass.

Don’t really matter what it was 12 months ago
    He got 6.50 now
    His smallest lamb came into 123

He was happy anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

you will always have lambs that never kill 22kg ,small and butty maybe a ewe lambs lamb.

• Advertisement

Don’t really matter what it was 12 months ago
    He got 6.50 now
    His smallest lamb came into 123

I only asked that because my reading of it was that if €6.50 wasn't fit to clear a profit then what chance would he have had in previous year's. Granted the store price and feed price are higher this year but still if you couldn't make a profit on lambs atm then I don't see how you ever will.

I take it that it was the smallest lambs that dragged down the average. Were they home bred or bought in lambs?

I only asked that because my reading of it was that if €6.50 wasn't fit to clear a profit then what chance would he have had in previous year's. Granted the store price and feed price are higher this year but still if you couldn't make a profit on lambs atm then I don't see how you ever will.

I take it that it was the smallest lambs that dragged down the average. Were they home bred or bought in lambs?

All home breed i think he was happy enough last year to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Robson99

Any update on factory prices for this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Robson99 wrote: »
    Any update on factory prices for this week?

625 all in to 23kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Robson99

625 all in to 23kg

Back a little again so. Think they just trying to flush them out a little. I'd expect them to rise again in a week or 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Robson99 wrote: »
    Back a little again so. Think they just trying to flush them out a little. I'd expect them to rise again in a week or 10 days

there getting plenty anyway,larage packed in kildare last week most nights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Going by reports from UK Marts today lambs are in short supply and agents in a frenzy to get what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

6:30 inc. Qa for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

6:30 inc. Qa for tomorrow

They’ll be 6.60 in 3 weeks. A quarter of all EU sheep are/were in the UK.

Taking back their borders they were told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah they will be mad in a few weeks time, ramadan and easter early , this is purely to flush them out in hope of getting orders filled. The lambs are not there though. this will get rid of a lot of lambs from ireland. UK lamb crop down a lot in recent years last spring, flocks were culled in lots of big estates and many sheep farmers cut back ewe numbers with Brexit on horizon, there will be even less lamns hitting gound in UK this spring.

Advertisement