Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Can they bring lambs into ireland from the North or how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

They’ll be 6.60 in 3 weeks. A quarter of all EU sheep are/were in the UK.

Taking back their borders they were told.

Thats fine but if they are killing 23 plus kgs today not much point in keeping them another 3 weeks.
    Lambs that weight would eat approx 2 kgs meal per day ad lib.At 300 a ton thats 12 euro of meal in 3 weeks to get 7 euro .Not exactly an economic proposition.
    3 weeks would need another 50 cent a kilo rise at that ie 6:80 minimum.
    Thats without having lambs kill excessively heavy.Grand if you have a few and but no factory wants overweight lambs like that too often.You will be told mot to bring anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Lambs that weight would eat approx 2 kgs meal per day ad lib.At 300 a ton thats 12 euro of meal in 3 weeks to get 7 euro .Not exactly an economic proposition.

Id often feel I was sending lambs to factory, just to pay the meal bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh no keep them moving when they hit the target carcass weight , thats the secret , no matter price. Be some doing to go out and get one or two dead when they should be hanging up and money in your bank. I brought 10 ram lambs to navan tonight, €6:30.
    brought in aat €57. cheviot ram lambs ate a good bit and were inside since mid dec. lamness etc only 4 ram lambs left ill have to let them off before lambing starts in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I always thought there was a market for heavy lambs with butchers.

• Advertisement

I always thought there was a market for heavy lambs with butchers.

There is but its a limited enough one.
    Most butchers are buying from wholesalers at this stage.Even at that the lamb they want might be a wee bit heavier at times than the" French " market one but not by more than a kilo or two.
    Think the market for a 30kg overfat lamb carcase would be a limited one.

Would imagine the vast majority of meat sales are in supermarkets in this day and age.The cling film tray needs x amount of cuts to fit,look attractive,be evenly sized and weigh roughly the same as the next tray.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There is but its a limited enough one.
    Most butchers are buying from wholesalers at this stage.Even at that the lamb they want might be a wee bit heavier at times than the" French " market one but not by more than a kilo or two.
    Think the market for a 30kg overfat lamb carcase would be a limited one.

Would imagine the vast majority of meat sales are in supermarkets in this day and age.The cling film tray needs x amount of cuts to fit,look attractive,be evenly sized and weigh roughly the same as the next tray.

Would see the same with a local butcher I supply here: he's happy to take a 45-50kg lamb but he doesn't want any monsters either. I'm guessing he's competing with supermarkets and has to have a lamb chop or leg of lamb that's small enough to allow him charge a lower price.

He has the same approach with the heifers he kills: all HE and AA from 450-500kg, and nothing bigger than that.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Bit of a pull again on prices ?
    Offered 10 cents less for tomorrow than going on Monday/Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Bit of a pull again on prices ?
    Offered 10 cents less for tomorrow than going on Monday/Tuesday

It depends on who you are and what number I think. A finisher with a load of good lambs found .30 cent from a first quote on Monday in Icm, Gone at 6.30 to Kildare for today.

Jjameson wrote: »
    It depends on who you are and what number I think. A finisher with a load of good lambs found .30 cent from a first quote on Monday in Icm, Gone at 6.30 to Kildare for today.

Same price offered here but bit more available earlier in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I have the dros of my own left, rightly or wrongly until 6.50 is there. And it will take that before lads will let off 2nd grade ewe hoggets I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Jjameson wrote: »
    I have the dros of my own left, rightly or wrongly until 6.50 is there. And it will take that before lads will let off 2nd grade ewe hoggets I think.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

cheviot ram lambs i killed yesterday averaged 134 euro, brought in at 57, ICM got a bit of free meat on one 26.2kg dead!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    cheviot ram lambs i killed yesterday averaged 134 euro, brought in at 57, ICM got a bit of free meat on one 26.2kg dead!

Great price. Had you much meal put into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Great price. Had you much meal put into them?

I’m guessing they ate 20 euro at least in meal even closer to 30 maybe ? If not I’m doing it all wrong finishing my ones !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young95 wrote: »
    I’m guessing they ate 20 euro at least in meal even closer to 30 maybe ? If not I’m doing it all wrong finishing my ones !

At least you tell the truth, these guy claimin a ''dust of meal'' would sicken you

wrangler wrote: »
    At least you tell the truth, these guy claimin a ''dust of meal'' would sicken you

After August i dont think you can finish lambs solely off grass. I had one at 42kg to the factory in October off grass that barely made 19kg. And i remember he was deffo the 42 because hed jumped the hurdle and i grabbed him and carried him into the trailer after weighing.

Just home from factory with the last of the 2020 ones.

"Dust of meal" me bo**ocks.They were on meal since middle November.Admittedly the ones today probably didn't start eating for a couple of weeks and were small enough (a year where the weak ones survived in higher proportion than other years and a few belonging to ewe lambs).
    Still would have eaten a fair bit from then till now.Most likely a kilo a day in the end and approx. 40kgs/head in total.

Big difference between lambs like this and throwing a bit to a few 45kg lambs in August on a lightly stocked farm with good grass to "top the mart" and be sure and hit top weight regardless of cost/profit.

At 6:30 today would think what I sent should average about €120 ie 19.5 kg carcass.
    Not hectic return but then again better than looking at a dead one.Years where you would be happy to see €80 for the same lambs and costings about something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

After August I don't think you can finish lambs solely off grass. I had one at 42kg to the factory in October off grass that barely made 19kg.

That's about right killout wise but for factory ideally you'd want them weighing 45/46kgs to get best price possible.
    I'd never send less than 45kgs to the factory in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

After August i dont think you can finish lambs solely off grass. I had one at 42kg to the factory in October off grass that barely made 19kg. And i remember he was deffo the 42 because hed jumped the hurdle and i grabbed him and carried him into the trailer after weighing.

42 is ok for a unweaned lamb on meal, nvm a lamb out in october

• Advertisement

42 is ok for a unweaned lamb on meal, nvm a lamb out in october

i would have usually seen a 50% killout so was expecting 21kg rather than 19. The rest of them all killed out above the 50% so just found that one strange.

I found an average of a bag of meal a lamb*,finishes em off grass,ab lib with the ewes.....

found when they got above 41kgs they would sow through meal

*this includes,what the ewe lambs would eat,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone see what 48-50kg make in the mart during the week. Not sure whether to bring to mart or bring to factory.
    Don’t want factory getting free meat but it is closer and handy.

However want to maximise return on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

i would have usually seen a 50% killout so was expecting 21kg rather than 19. The rest of them all killed out above the 50% so just found that one strange.

Not all lambs thrive the same and not all eat the meal. if you feel along the back you'll know the KO when you feel a thin lamb also a rams balls is thrown out which is 1 - 2 kg down, Weigh them after 3- 4 hrs fasting for accuracy , we've had lambs with up to 4kgs gut fill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Tileman wrote: »
    Anyone see what 48-50kg make in the mart during the week. Not sure whether to bring to mart or bring to factory.
    Don’t want factory getting free meat but it is closer and handy.

However want to maximise return on them.

48-50kg is perfect for the factory once their getting meal..should kill 21-23kg carcass weight depending on breed

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

What price are lambs in factory for Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Duke92 wrote: »
    What price are lambs in factory for Monday

630 all in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Robson99

630 all in

Any other quotes ? Or is 6.30 fairly widespread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Today UK dead weight price equivalent to 6.35e and rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Was it only a halt in prices?

Advertisement