Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

epfff wrote: »
    Ballyhaunis.
    I drive by Athleague to get there. Its very rare I even phone athleague for a quote they always the lowest quote for me

In fairness, they all do that, if they think they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Fat lambs in kilkenny mart made up to 158e today. Not many lots however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Sold today
    44kg €134 EL cost €63
    47kg €149 EL cost €60
    50kg €145 W cost €58
    Great price for a mixed bag of sheep. Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Have ewe lambs i bought as stores last october. If i was intending bringing them to the factory in the next few weeks when would they be classes as hoggets and once they were were would it affect the price. Like with cattle you have the cards that has a DOB but i presume these sheep were march or april born so how would the factory know what age they were.

k mac wrote: »
    Have ewe lambs i bought as stores last october. If i was intending bringing them to the factory in the next few weeks when would they be classes as hoggets and once they were were would it affect the price. Like with cattle you have the cards that has a DOB but i presume these sheep were march or april born so how would the factory know what age they were.

They are hoggets end of story. We still call them lambs out of habit. The factory will know the difference between spring lamb (lamb born this spring) and hoggets.
    The price gap will not be huge and they will quote separate.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    They are hoggets end of story. We still call them lambs out of habit. The factory will know the difference between spring lamb (lamb born this spring) and hoggets.
    The price gap will not be huge and they will quote separate.

Thanks. Is the price paid the same. Have a few around the 40kg mark, even though they had plenty of grass they didnt put on much weight. Have upped the meal but they are wasting alot leaving it behind getting wet in the trough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Thanks. Is the price paid the same. Have a few around the 40kg mark, even though they had plenty of grass they didnt put on much weight. Have upped the meal but they are wasting alot leaving it behind getting wet in the trough

Hogget price is paid to 23kg now

Spring lamb wont really be out til April / May, and it will be a higher price, but the factory only pay to 19kg initially...

If your lambs are only 40kg, you might be as well off selling at the mart? Or else hold onto them until they are 45+ at least. I would say you still have another 2 months before the hogget price will be impacted by spring lambs...

A lot more of mine are struggling this year than I'd like, so I feel your pain... Are they dosed for fluke?

If they start getting their 2nd teeth,there hoggots,can pass as lambs until.then

(This is checked in factories)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

You’ll get lamb price until the 2021 spring lambs start coming fit for the factory

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

If they start getting their 2nd teeth,there hoggots,can pass as lambs until.then

(This is checked in factories)

Teeth start coming anytime from 12 -15 month, but varies from sheep to sheep.it ain't a exact science. Often sold hoggets up to may without any issue .

• Advertisement

Teeth start coming anytime from 12 -15 month, but varies from sheep to sheep.it ain't a exact science. Often sold hoggets up to may without any issue .

They do check in factories and used dock for it,once upon a time.....i remember a butcher running his finger inside mouth checking ones here,years ago

(They also used dock at factories for poorly castrated lambs,with one stone still inside)

Hogget price is paid to 23kg now

Spring lamb wont really be out til April / May, and it will be a higher price, but the factory only pay to 19kg initially...

If your lambs are only 40kg, you might be as well off selling at the mart? Or else hold onto them until they are 45+ at least. I would say you still have another 2 months before the hogget price will be impacted by spring lambs...

A lot more of mine are struggling this year than I'd like, so I feel your pain... Are they dosed for fluke?

Yes dosed mid December

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What's a 2 year old Suffolk ewe, in single lamb to a Suffolk roughly worth.

Tks

They do check in factories and used dock for it,once upon a time.....i remember a butcher running his finger inside mouth checking ones here,years ago

(They also used dock at factories for poorly castrated lambs,with one stone still inside)

Yes, department vets check in factories and will dock you, if their breaking through. You can check yourself as well before sending away. You'll see the 2 front bottom adult teeth erupting through. Very easy to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Danzy wrote: »
    What's a 2 year old Suffolk ewe, in single lamb to a Suffolk roughly worth.

Tks

200?

Any factory prices for Hoggets this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Going by mart prices over the weekend the must be up to 6.50

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Heard 6.70 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

It’s great to see the poor relation of farming getting a good price at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

$6:60 in ICM tomorrow. brought another 28, average weight live 48kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Dickie10 wrote: »

there must be very few left now with the savage prices. Looks like spring lamb prices will be very good this year?

It’s great to see the poor relation of farming getting a good price at last.

Hard to know who is the poor relation now.

Some amount of new entrants to sheep, lot of beef Lads adding a few sheep to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

Hard to know who is the poor relation now.

Some amount of new entrants to sheep, lot of beef Lads adding a few sheep to the mix.

Grazing lambs or lambing ewes?

Grazing lambs or lambing ewes?

Lambing Ewes in most cases.

Though I can think of several new flocks where I am not sure.

I bought 15 Ewes myself. Suffolk cross.

I won't be changing the market for a good bit.

I have the sheds, an old haggard Field that would suit in the winter and the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Dickie10 wrote: »

Don’t know which icm your going to but 6:70 in Wexford tomorrow

Lambing Ewes in most cases.

Though I can think of several new flocks where I am not sure.

I bought 15 Ewes myself. Suffolk cross.

I won't be changing the market for a good bit.

I have the sheds, an old haggard Field that would suit in the winter and the ground.

Best of luck with them. What are they in lamb to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would there be a chance lads coming into it will ruin it for the rest? whats too many ewes for ireland? not all beef men will have sheep, some hate the sight of them, and an awful lot of young beef farmers will go dairying i would think, id say could be a lot out of them again in 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I'm from west Clare the amount of fellas with 10 and 15 sheep around here would shock you where there never was a sheep in 100 years and most haven't a clue about them either

lab man wrote: »
    I'm from west Clare the amount of fellas with 10 and 15 sheep around here would shock you where there never was a sheep in 100 years and most haven't a clue about them either

Are these sheep recent purchases, Lab man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Only buy stores at the back end here. Wouldn't dream of getting into ewes....the hassle of it...
    Id say lockdown and poor beef prices have a bit to do with more lads getting into it

Advertisement