Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Dickie10 wrote: »
    would there be a chance lads coming into it will ruin it for the rest? whats too many ewes for ireland? not all beef men will have sheep, some hate the sight of them, and an awful lot of young beef farmers will go dairying i would think, id say could be a lot out of them again in 2 years!

Never happen.
    Sheep are a vocation !!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note the likelyhood of a major expansion in the national flock is small.
    It happened years ago but that was more because of the ewe premium and dairying being a closed shop due to quota.
    Plus even 20 years ago a lot of farms were mixed and people had some experience of/with sheep even if it was years previous so getting into them wasn't a major step into the unknown.
    For someone who has had only cattle all their farming life sheep can be a wee bit "different".
    Nobody likes to lose stock but with sheep its a different mentality compared to cattle.Losses are a fact of life and lamb/ewe mortality figures are in no way comparable to cattle .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Never happen.
    Sheep are a vocation !!!!!!!!!!!

Recent prices are nice and appreciated, but average sheep farmer makes 8k a year. With recent prices, this might rise to 9k. Compare that to the average industrial wage of €38k a year. I suppose it is what it is. It ain't the money keeping us at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sightly off the topic... I never heard a complaint this year about dirty lambs dispite it been one of the wettest winter in many a year. Did anyone get caught with clipping charges?

It's amazing when product is scarse.

Around me sheep are scarce enough.Up to 10/15 years ago a fair few farms had sheep as an enterprise.Tillage and cattle and perhaps 50 to 80 ewes or dairying and drystock along with a flock of sheep.

Quota kept the cow man from expanding numbers so he could run a few ewes alongside the cows.For tillage farmers beet tops and stubble would carry ewes from November till March at minimal cost.
    Nowadays all them are gone from sheep.
    Person rang me last week re. a dog attack.They would live perhaps 3 miles away by road and at least 2 miles as the crow flies. Looking for numbers for any local sheep farmers.Very easy as there is only one flock between them and me.Few years ago would have been 5/6 at least.

Return of a decent ewe premium,whilst I wouldn't say no to the money,would maybe entice some cattlemen to rekindle their love for all things wooly.
    People look at maybe 30 euro a head and say "shur 200 ewes would be 6k sub handy money "

All that would do is ramp up the price of breeding stock and have a heap of soft sellers with lambs.
    Remember buying ewe quota in, I think, the late 90's.Know it started off a 5 euro plus commission per unit but by the end I was getting as much as I wanted for 1 euro inc. auctioneer commission.Bought 300 units for 300 euro off one lad who had previously purchased it himself about 3 years before that.He realised sheep weren't for him rather quickly.

kk.man wrote: »
    Sightly off the topic... I never heard a complaint this year about dirty lambs dispite it been one of the wettest winter in many a year. Did anyone get caught with clipping charges?

It's amazing when product is scarse.

Bit like the QA bit.When its wanted its wanted and terms and conditions are flexible.
    Thats the same in all things though,even farming.Like the cow man who is waiting for the sugars to rise,the grass to get a tedding and a wilt and no mowing when the dew is down.Very fussy and no issue with leaving the contractor sitting idle .
    All out the window when the forecast is a wet week.Its when can you come and horse it in quick as possible .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Recent prices are nice and appreciated, but average sheep farmer makes 8k a year. With recent prices, this might rise to 9k. Compare that to the average industrial wage of €38k a year. I suppose it is what it is. It ain't the money keeping us at it.

At 38k/yr you're working 40hr weeks, the 8k/yr sheep enterprise you'd do after work, if you're making 8k plus all the glas BPS sheep welfare, etc it's a nice top up.
    whether it's worth your while is up to the individual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    At 38k/yr you're working 40hr weeks, the 8k/yr sheep enterprise you'd do after work, if you're making 8k plus all the glas BPS sheep welfare, etc it's a nice top up.
    whether it's worth your while is up to the individual

Does that 8k include or exclude bps, glas etc. It seems very high for an average figure without them. €66 profit / ewe would need an average flock of 1200 and €66 would be a better than average profit.

At 38K your into the top tax bracket or close to it depending on your circumstances so it's down to half or say €80 a week take home equivalent. It's a nice top up and whether it's worth it depends on whether you like working with sheep.

Does that 8k include or exclude bps, glas etc. It seems very high for an average figure without them. €66 profit / ewe would need an average flock of 1200 and €66 would be a better than average profit.

At 38K your into the top tax bracket or close to it depending on your circumstances so it's down to half or say €80 a week take home equivalent. It's a nice top up and whether it's worth it depends on whether you like working with sheep.

1200 x 66 = 79200??

Nice money,if you make it......would it be equal to money off 180 to 200 cows,assuming you havnt same payouts in term electricty etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

1200 x 66 = 79200??

I assume he meant 120.... lots of different ways of arriving at €8k, 200@€40 or 1000 store lambs at €8 There’s no two farms profits/head will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

1200 x 66 = 79200??

Nice money,if you make it......would it be equal to money off 180 to 200 cows,assuming you havnt same payouts in term electricty etc?

Sorry my mistake, it would be that for 120 ewes. 8k excluding bps etc. Seems more plausible now.

• Advertisement

Sorry my mistake, it would be that for 120 ewes. 8k excluding bps etc. Seems more plausible now.

Yea, A neighbour has 200 in his spare time and I'd expect him to be making €40/hd +, he's using typhon and all the gimmicks and he'd have another €40/hd+ in subs/glas on top of a good job.
    He's doing well despite being a ''forgotten farmer''

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Lambs €6:80

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Dickie10 wrote: »
    $6:60 in ICM tomorrow. brought another 28, average weight live 48kg

If they were average 48kg did they kill close to 23kg if you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

I kill from 50kgs plus most make the 23 kgs slays a few in load that don’t and some that kill heavy
    Usually die 45% or a big along with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

I take it all lads are getting paid to 23kgs....if not insist on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

We are insisting on 23.5 atm

Duke92 wrote: »
    Lambs €6:80

They be a huge temptation to off load ewe lambs intended for hoggets at these prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

They be a huge temptation to off load ewe lambs intended for hoggets at these prices.

Was thinking that my self but then the men turning big numbers will be stuck for something to eat the grass. Most won't buy cattle or sell silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

7 euro for Monday now

7 euro for Monday now

Near double the price of beef. :D

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Near double the price of beef. :D

Shush!!!

Them fcukers will all get in and flood the market

Shush!!!

and block the gates of the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Shush!!!

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

7 euro for Monday now

This time next year we will all be millionaires Rodney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I've half a dozen ewe lambs myself that scanned empty. Would be very tempted at these prices....

arctictree wrote: »
    I've half a dozen ewe lambs myself that scanned empty. Would be very tempted at these prices....

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think we will see this price for a while if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

7?? keep calm and complain about the hardships of having sheep to any beef man you meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I've been thinking about current prices. €7 a kilo is good money and we might actually make a few pound out of them, but prices of other commodities go up all the time and theres nothing thought of it, like meal. They seldom if ever go back down. €10 a tonne was added a few years ago because a mineral factory burnt down in europe. I assume the factory is rebuilt by now, but I ain't seen the price reduced back down afterwards.... anyway whatever we earn, it's hard earned. Still no easy money to be made out of sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Any quotes / prices paid this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Robson99 wrote: »
    Any quotes / prices paid this week

hearing €7 is available in some plants

Advertisement