Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

720 is best of what I'm hearing?
    What's being paid atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a bunch of ewe lambs here that I kept, but kept more than required, there weighing between 35 and 45 kg at the moment and are Suffolk X cheviots, I had planned on selling them as breeders during the summer but with current prices would I be aswell to sell now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Tetany be a worry

I have good grass too, I give them Hi mag buckets from the start so they know how to eat them when the big demand comes at 3 -4 weeks old.
    If they have 7 or 8 cms grass under them they shouldn't need meal, soil temp is 8 degrees this morning so grass should be growing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a bunch of ewe lambs here that I kept, but kept more than required, there weighing between 35 and 45 kg at the moment and are Suffolk X cheviots, I had planned on selling them as breeders during the summer but with current prices would I be aswell to sell now?

35 would be too light IMO. 35kg killing at 45% would be just less than 16kg...

40kg at 45% would be 18kg, at 7euro/kg would give you 126euro before deductions...

What mature weight would they come into as sheep DJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

35 would be too light IMO. 35kg killing at 45% would be just less than 16kg...

40kg at 45% would be 18kg, at 7euro/kg would give you 126euro before deductions...

What nature weight would they come into as sheep DJ?

Them sort of lambs should fly now if you had grass for them. I expect that they put on nearly 2 kgs/ week LW. That would make them around 45kg the week after Easter. At present weight they would kill poorly and as well grade badly. They could be heavier than you think as well. I be inclined for good grass and the week after Easter. If prices hold you be looking at 140/ head

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Them sort of lambs should fly now if you had grass for them. I expect that they put on nearly 2 kgs/ week LW. That would make them around 45kg the week after Easter. At present weight they would kill poorly and as well grade badly. They could be heavier than you think as well. I be inclined for good grass and the week after Easter. If prices hold you be looking at 140/ head

If you wanted them gone, horse ration into them as much as you could for a few weeks would be worthwhile as well...

That's what I am doing with some I have that didn't do well. Few weeks of ration and leave them off...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

You need to get as much ration into them as possible. Grass alone won't finish them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Robson99 wrote: »
    You need to get as much ration into them as possible. Grass alone won't finish them

And outside they might use up too much energy in poor weather.

kk.man wrote: »
    And outside they might use up too much energy in poor weather.

It all depends on if you have grass. Lamb will thrive outside of they have access to good grass. I bought hill lambs a few times a n November. They be 20-25 kgs on arrival. I used only buy 4-5 so used to have to take what I get. I feed them 2-300 grams on grass over the winter. They be just trundling along until early February but from that to late March they bomb along. I slaughter them for the freezer the last week in March. The carcasses would be 24-28 kgs DW.

I weight them lambs to be sure of there weight. If only 35 kgs I rise them with a drench like Albex. I have them on grass ( if I had it) and build them.up to a kg of ration. Problem with killing them at 35 kgs LW is you may get penalised for poor flesh cover and they may grade very poorly. Any weight put on with a high level of ration will cost you 2.7-3.5/kg if LW or 6-7 euro/ kg of DW. They will also take a week to get used to the ration. On grass they be costing you 50c/ day Inc ration.

However you will need grass.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

It all depends on if you have grass. Lamb will thrive outside of they have access to good grass. I bought hill lambs a few times a n November. They be 20-25 kgs on arrival. I used only buy 4-5 so used to have to take what I get. I feed them 2-300 grams on grass over the winter. They be just trundling along until early February but from that to late March they bomb along. I slaughter them for the freezer the last week in March. The carcasses would be 24-28 kgs DW.

I weight them lambs to be sure of there weight. If only 35 kgs I rise them with a drench like Albex. I have them on grass ( if I had it) and build them.up to a kg of ration. Problem with killing them at 35 kgs LW is you may get penalised for poor flesh cover and they may grade very poorly. Any weight put on with a high level of ration will cost you 2.7-3.5/kg if LW or 6-7 euro/ kg of DW. They will also take a week to get used to the ration. On grass they be costing you 50c/ day Inc ration.

However you will need grass.

They will perform over twice as well indoors rather than grass and concentrates according to the teagasc research. Id be inclined to agree with it too from what I've seen here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    They will perform over twice as well indoors rather than grass and concentrates according to the teagasc research. Id be inclined to agree with it too from what I've seen here.

Grass is more powerful this time of year than autumn or winter , grass and meal to finsih

Grass is more powerful this time of year than autumn or winter , grass and meal to finsih

Im not seeing much grass growth here at the moment. soil temp was just starting to rise and we had an absolute deluge of rain the past week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone have any hogget quotes for next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Anyone have any hogget quotes for next week ?

Seems to be a variance in plants this past week.
    Best I heard available in athleague was €7 though heard of other plants paying 20 cent more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Im not seeing much grass growth here at the moment. soil temp was just starting to rise and we had an absolute deluge of rain the past week or so.

Growing backwards here.

Danzy wrote: »
    Growing backwards here.

Lol is that a good or bad thing?. Never heard the saying growing backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lol is that a good or bad thing?. Never heard the saying growing backwards

Never heard it myself till I typed it.

Today was one of the coldest days I've felt in a long time. 6 degrees on the car dashboard but cutting.

Grass went back this week, especially cover from last year.

Today was one of the coldest days I've felt in a long time. 6 degrees on the car dashboard but cutting.

We just experienced a "fools spring"

March many weathers

Right cold out there atm. However milder from sunday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Right cold out there atm. However milder from sunday onwards.

Hope so.Let out 50 ewes with lambs this morning.Not ideal but space was getting tight and next thing would be a heap of trouble.
    All were 3/4 days old so shouldn't be a bother on them although its a raw enough night here at the moment.
    Lovely day up until about 4pm but then the rain came down and the wind started to rise .
    Ones left in the sheds looked cosy though a few minutes ago.

About 50/60 mature ewes left to go here and then ewe lambs after Patricks day for 3 weeks or so.
    Grass scarce enough and land getting wet again after all the drying of the last 2 weeks.
    Hard to complain as most lambed in ideal weather conditions since end of Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any prices for hoggets for tomorrow week coming anyone ??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

What date does Ramadan start and finish this year also if anyone nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

740 hoggets
    750 springs

inc bonus,qa,..etc

really thought springs would start closer to 800 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What date does Ramadan start and finish this year also if anyone nos

12 april-13may

12 april-13may

The lamb is eaten at the end of the festival, every house has a celebration feast the day it finishes.

The lamb is eaten at the end of the festival, every house has a celebration feast the day it finishes.

It also earthen at nighttime. During Ramadan Moslems must not eat from sunrise to sunset. It is particularly hard accross Europe when it falls during late spring as daylight hours are very long.

People eat food that is high in slow release energy, lamb is a fatty meat and qualifies as that. You are right about the big feast at the end but you will not survive a 14+ hour day by eating pasta or potatoes in the morning

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

740 hoggets
    750 springs

inc bonus,qa,..etc

really thought springs would start closer to 800 to be honest.

What weight are they paying the spring lamb quote to? I'm assuming they'll only pay to 20kg compared to 23kg for the hoggets. That's pulling the piss tbh, you'd feel a bit of a tool having fed a ewe all year, lambed her and fed the lambs to only get 10c over the hogget quote and be paid for less kilos.

I saw horned hoggets ram's making €170 during the week that were bought at €85 in October. The man that had them looked after them well since but why would anyone bother lambing ewes out of season and try to compete with that for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What weight are they paying the spring lamb quote to? I'm assuming they'll only pay to 20kg compared to 23kg for the hoggets. That's pulling the piss tbh, you'd feel a bit of a tool having fed a ewe all year, lambed her and fed the lambs to only get 10c over the hogget quote and be paid for less kilos.

I saw horned hoggets ram's making €170 during the week that were bought at €85 in October. The man that had them looked after them well since but why would anyone bother lambing ewes out of season and try to compete with that for the same money.

gave up lambing early 'cos of the factories , both using imports and using hoggets to downside the price of springs

will be interesting this year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

did 2 trials here this year bought 150 hill stores in September average 33kg at €65 each and the other trial was to spong 30 ewes and lamb them the 20th of January...the stores are a great job but definitely wouldn't bother with the earlies ever again

• Advertisement

I always called early lambing as the winter finishing of the sheep world. I totally agree with you on price as above. Apart from that the early lamber has hardship, huge meal costs, hard weather and alot of grass eaten which is hard recover. They would want to be 8e a kg to justify the hardship alone!

Plus the factories and supermarkets will pawn off hoggets as spring lamb in the next week or so to rub salt.

Advertisement