Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭joe35

wrangler wrote: »
    We had a triplet here yesterday, all over 6kg and she lambed the second and third herself, first was breech

Had a triplet Sunday morning, 3 monsters, either one could have been a single. She was getting well fed, meal 3 times a day and beat with them too. She was in poor enough condition all the same. Putting it all into the lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Duke92 wrote: »
    €7:50 tomorrow icm

Fair play. Fantastic prices being got for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Fair play. Fantastic prices being got for stock.

I have 15 ready to go. Were meant to go last week but something happened and to postpone it. Went out this morning and 1 dead in the field. Sicken u. After eating the whole winter and decided now to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Tileman wrote: »
    I have 15 ready to go. Were meant to go last week but something happened and to postpone it. Went out this morning and 1 dead in the field. Sicken u. After eating the whole winter and decided now to drop.

Don't talk to me - went out last week to find a hogget after getting stuck in a tree, and breaking her leg...
    And acourse she was one of the best ones, it wouldn't ever be the raggy bad ones that keel over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Don't talk to me - went out last week to find a hogget after getting stuck in a tree, and breaking her leg...
    And acourse she was one of the best ones, it wouldn't ever be the raggy bad ones that keel over :rolleyes:

Is she in the freezer now

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Is she in the freezer now

She isn’t Bass - to be honest I didn’t think of it.
    But, she wouldn’t have been out of withdrawal for a fluke dose either...

She isn’t Bass - to be honest I didn’t think of it.
    But, she wouldn’t have been out of withdrawal for a fluke dose either...

Was she farm from the withdrawal date. AFAIK you can test meat for residue's. What dose was it and withdrawal length.

Slava Ukrainii

Was she farm from the withdrawal date. AFAIK you can test meat for residue's. What dose was it and withdrawal length.

She was a fine hogget, but she wasn’t fit for killing either.
    Was a triclabendazole based dose, 56 day withdrawal, she had probably 3 weeks to go...

Ah, she was fcuked Bass, she was there for a while and had had pulled her leg half asunder and broke her shoulder as well... The one day an issue came in at work and I didn’t get to see them, so she was there for a day or longer I’d say when I found her...
    Was sickened with myself when I found her...

Was a triclabendazole based dose, 56 day withdrawal, she had probably 3 weeks to go...

Ah, she was fcuked Bass, she was there for a while and had had pulled her leg half asunder and broke her shoulder as well... The one day an issue came in at work and I didn’t get to see them, so she was there for a day or longer I’d say when I found her...

Last year I was carrying a few bullocks to the factory. I carried two up and came back for the other two to find a Friesian had tried to jump a barrier and got his hind leg stuck between the top two bars.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

A few years ago I found one hanging from the electric fence. She got the wire looped around her neck. It was in a paddock entrance where the wire is a little slacker. Anything can happen with sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

spring lambs 46 kgs .€184

underfinished springs starting to appear at marts

orm0nd wrote: »
    spring lambs 46 kgs .€184

underfinished springs starting to appear at marts

How long more you think is in the hogget trade Ormond?

I was planning to send the last of mine mid-April, but maybe I'd be better off sending them sooner...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

I was planning to send the last of mine mid-April, but maybe I'd be better off sending them sooner...

Probably 1st of may feck all spring lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Duke92 wrote: »
    Probably 1st of may feck all spring lambs

might slip a bit but great demand for well fleshed sheep now

stores are slipping each week especially long keep animals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

orm0nd wrote: »
    might slip a bit but great demand for well fleshed sheep now

stores are slipping each week especially long keep animals

Lambs are extremely scase and in the UK. You might even see a rise again.

I'd expect stores to fall alright better be going down to paddy power than purchasing those at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

I'd say there will be a trade till May, possibly middle of the month, lambs not there.

Two mart managers rang neighbour (lge sheep farmer) today begging for lambs/sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

kk.man wrote: »
    Two mart managers rang neighbour (lge sheep farmer) today begging for lambs/sheep.

Got the call earlier, I'm very tempted to fill the trailer in the morning with a few 1 year olds scanned empty and some that lost their lambs...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Rang the factory during the week, they were saying they'd give me 7.30 a kg for my hoggets and to send all the hoggets even the lighter ones.. I only had 15 weather's. They were kind of saying that prices were going to be dropping later in the week and they were doing me a favour.. Needless to say I took my chance and sent them to the mart. I got on a 10er a head better in the mart than I would have in the factory. Averaged €145 for the hoggets. When it seems like the factory is doing you a "favour" run a mile or bargain hard if you have numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

farming93 wrote: »
    Rang the factory during the week, they were saying they'd give me 6.30 a kg for my hoggets and to send all the hoggets even the lighter ones.. I only had 15 weather's. They were kind of saying that prices were going to be dropping later in the week and they were doing me a favour.. Needless to say I took my chance and sent them to the mart. I got on a 10er a head better in the mart than I would have in the factory. Averaged €145 for the hoggets. When it seems like the factory is doing you a "favour" run a mile or bargain hard if you have numbers.

I hope it's 7.30 they offered or we are all ****ed

• Advertisement

Sorry it was 7.30 haha

arctictree wrote: »
    Got the call earlier, I'm very tempted to fill the trailer in the morning with a few 1 year olds scanned empty and some that lost their lambs...

IMO there is more in it. When they call like that it's getting desperate.

Warning;The value of your investment may go down as well as up. You may lose some or all of the money you invest. Past performance should not be taken as an indication or guarantee of future performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

What sort of money would 50 kg ewe hoggets make in the mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Will be interesting to see if there is a rush of people back into sheep when they see the high prices.

Will be interesting to see if there is a rush of people back into sheep when they see the high prices.

It might encourage the mountain Man back into producing the 20-35kg store. However it's unlikely to encourage lowland production as summer prices are not filtered exactly shooting the stars any year.

It might also see some lads switching to April lambing but margins would be very variable as your lamb might still be finished pre Christmas

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I think "trust" or lack of is the main issue with our sector. The prices are good at the moment, but from past experiences farmers know that as soon as the slightest opportunity arises factories will be slashing prices again. There needs to be some certainty or stability in prices. If lads change their operations or increase supply, that they'll be properly rewarded for it and not hammered 12 months down the line. Theres a reason some left the sector in the first place.

I think "trust" or lack of is the main issue with our sector. The prices are good at the moment, but from past experiences farmers know that as soon as the slightest opportunity arises factories will be slashing prices again. There needs to be some certainty or stability in prices. If lads change their operations or increase supply, that they'll be properly rewarded for it and not hammered 12 months down the line. Theres a reason some left the sector in the first place.

Local lad near me,about 300 lowland v.good quality ewes,has a track machine in,digging out a milking parlour/yards etc for next spring

Probably one of best about at sheep,who i could only dream on being close to as good as,still getting out inspite of record prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Had a mixed pen of ewe hoggets in Baltinglass earlier, some very light, some heavy. Average 48kg. Made €140.

DJ98 wrote: »
    What sort of money would 50 kg ewe hoggets make in the mart?

My uncle sold 54 kg Suffolk hoggets in carnew on Thursday, two were very nice the rest were average at best. He got €166 each

• Advertisement

Local lad near me,about 300 lowland v.good quality ewes,has a track machine in,digging out a milking parlour/yards etc for next spring

Probably one of best about at sheep,who i could only dream on being close to as good as,still getting out inspite of record prices
    Know of a fella near me, same as above. I was shocked when I heard it cause they eat and sleep sheep. They will be no mass entry into sheep, youth don't rate them at all.

Advertisement