Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

at a guess id say 43-45
    second lad 48-50ish

weve(dad won the arguement) often held back lads at 50 that didnt have the confirmation(joys of cheviots)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

What weight would the ideal or first lamb be ? Compared to the over fat lamb ? Kg live weight wise.

Totally missed the point of the question green, didn't cop the vid-Joe above... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Reason for asking is, my lambs at 43-45 kg usually get hammered in the mart, in comparsion to the 50kg lambs. I was just trying to figure out in my own head the ideal weight to carry lambs to.

ya the pricing structure isn't reflective of what the 'markets' want
    but there is the extra cost of bringing them to the weight. if selling through the mart i've rarely seen lighter lambs getting the same attention as those 48+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Reason for asking is, my lambs at 43-45 kg usually get hammered in the mart, in comparsion to the 50kg lambs. I was just trying to figure out in my own head the ideal weight to carry lambs to.

Killing them here at 46kg to average 21.75 -22 kg, av price this wk €105

• Advertisement

Usually €10 a head, ganmo .Reckon I'd be better rewarded selling to factory , pity I'm 100 mile from nearest one :D joking aside I prefer to get them to the mid 40kgs and give them the road. A lot of feed needed to bring them above that, judging by the video only to put on fat

Usually €10 a head. Reckon I'd be better rewarded selling to factory , pity I'm 100 mile from nearest one :D

Going to the factory is an education too for a while, until you get used to what they want, lambs are getting 1 lb meal/ day for last mth, glad I had them used to it in this weather

Fields are starting to deteriorate fast alright at this time of year and grass supplies go bare.

rangler1 wrote: »
    Killing them here at 46kg to average 21.75 -22 kg, av price this wk €105

46kg?
    I was taking mine to 49 - 50kg the last while, as they were killing poor coming off grass.
    rangler1 wrote: »
    Going to the factory is an education too for a while, until you get used to what they want, lambs are getting 1 lb meal/ day for last mth, glad I had them used to it in this weather

Feeding mine a small bit of meal now as well the past few weeks. I think 46kg would be a bit light for my lambs, I would be afraid they wouldnt reach max weight.
    The way I see it is I prefer to give a little away, than not get as much as I can. I know some may disagree with this, but there's only one chance to make as much as you can on the lamb.

46kg?
    I was taking mine to 49 - 50kg the last while, as they were killing poor coming off grass.

Feeding mine a small bit of meal now as well the past few weeks. I think 46kg would be a bit light for my lambs, I would be afraid they wouldnt reach max weight.
    The way I see it is I prefer to give a little away, than not get as much as I can. I know some may disagree with this, but there's only one chance to make as much as you can on the lamb.

We'd be pushing as far as we can too, but they're ewe lambs lambs and inclined to go to 4s, eg 4 overfats this week losing €6 apiece, €24 outa 12 lambs,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Anyone prices for tomorrow?Or even what was going for today.

Was offered 5 euro to 23kgs and just wondering how that compares with what anyone else is being quoted.Might squeeze another 5 cents out of them but that seems to be about it.

go for the weight if they're pushing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

ganmo wrote: »
    go for the weight if they're pushing it

?

Any one know what the hill ewe lambs are making at the moment. Blackface type ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Had to get herself to sell some store lambs in the mart today as I can't get time off work and am starting to run low on grass. Did really well don't know how anyone is gonna make money out of them tho!
    Wethers 31kg € 80.50
    Wethers 35kg € 92
    Ewe lambs 33kg € 87
    Ewe lambs 29kg € 80
    All from lleyn cross ewes some were beltex and some texel aswell

gazahayes wrote: »
    Had to get herself to sell some store lambs in the mart today as I can't get time off work and am starting to run low on grass. Did really well don't know how anyone is gonna make money out of them tho!
    Wethers 31kg € 80.50
    Wethers 35kg € 92
    Ewe lambs 33kg € 87
    Ewe lambs 29kg € 80

Jaysus, 92euro for 35kg - savage prices, well done herself :)

Seeing as how there's no money to be made from buying stores at those prices, anyone know what hogget prices are like at the mart at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Jaysus, 92euro for 35kg - savage prices, well done herself :)

It was her first time to sell at the mart too there were other lads trying to get her to sell theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Wethers 31kg € 80.50
    Wethers 35kg € 92
    Ewe lambs 33kg € 87
    Ewe lambs 29kg € 80

Jes I am going the weekend with a few 40kg but I have a lot of ones between 35 and 39 . Maybe I'll bring some of them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Seeing as how there's no money to be made from buying stores at those prices, anyone know what hogget prices are like at the mart at the moment ?

The breeding hoggets are all but finished. If you have a run for them The store lambs would still be ok if your around the 80 euro. 5.30 a kg next February at 22.5kg is 119 eur.. Which is 40 euro margin and is conservative. Could be 6 euro a kilo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Wethers 31kg € 80.50
    Wethers 35kg € 92
    Ewe lambs 33kg € 87
    Ewe lambs 29kg € 80

That woman could have a new career in the pipeline :)

well done must have been fancy stock

sent the last of this years lambs to the factory .. was a bit disappointed with k/o at just over 20 kgs , they had been on meal and were handling well

over all it's been a great year for sheep and if 2015 comes near we won't complain

Willfarman wrote: »
    The breeding hoggets are all but finished. If you have a run for them The store lambs would still be ok if your around the 80 euro. 5.30 a kg next February at 22.5kg is 119 eur.. Which is 40 euro margin and is conservative. Could be 6 euro a kilo..

Your more then likely right. I got €120 for my few stores last April. But, sheep can be unpredictable at times. Some times January and February can be poor months for selling sheep. You still have to put the work in to get them over the winter and the costs don't be long adding up. In addition to that you need to make a margin to cover your labour. I wouldn't be comfortable paying €80 for them, but that's only me personally. it's up to everybody to look at their own setup and overheads to see if they can make stores pay. I've a feeling the prices will stay high early next year, but it ain't guaranteed .i know the feeling of meeting a bad day in the mart only too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

93 for 41kg today . Happy with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

93 for 41kg today . Happy with that

10 kilos more on them and they are worth 113. Just sayin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

+1

often hard to find that last 10 kgs though at this time of year, especially on a sheep farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

That 10 kilos if they at 50%kill.out should in reality be worth e25??
    5kg at e5 a kilo...you will not be getting paid for the extra feeding etc...it is false economy imo to push all your lambs to 50 kg ...unless you have a butcher lined up to buy them beforehand

Though does anyone have quotes for the factories for good well finished lambs??

Though does anyone have quotes for the factories for good well finished lambs??

quoting 5 to 5.10 so i reckon a fair bit more to be got

orm0nd wrote: »
    quoting 5 to 5.10 so i reckon a fair bit more to be got

Sent lambs away last week - 4.90 :(

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    often hard to find that last 10 kgs though at this time of year, especially on a sheep farm

+1
    Take a fair bit of feeding to put on that 10kg.
    You wouldn't be long spending 10euro on feed out of the 20, and that's assuming you have grass for em to feed along with a bit of ration.
    All it takes is for one for em to go back or die and you're worse off...
    That 10 kilos if they at 50%kill.out should in reality be worth e25??
    5kg at e5 a kilo...you will not be getting paid for the extra feeding etc...it is false economy imo to push all your lambs to 50 kg ...unless you have a butcher lined up to buy them beforehand

I am taking all lamb to 48 at least, to kill at 22kg
    That's about 45% kill out. Unless you are feeding a lot of ration or are killing straight off the ewe, then I dunno is 50% achievable?

Advertisement