Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Theres a good amount of younger girls and early 20s begining to get into it similar to Britain about 15 years ago. Theres absolutely no stigma in ireland anymore about female farmers thank God.
    I teach in an all girls secondary school and theres 2 girls already started their own small flocks and their only 17 and lots others very skilled shepherds on their home farms already. Great to see the passion and interest a lot of the girls have for agriculture in general. I always found women make great sheep farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭joe35

What's fat ewes making, 2 here that must be empty. Wool falling off them and they're in great form, jumping through the field. Not worth going to mart or factory so might give them to a local agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any prices for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Any prices for tomorrow

800 spring
    750 hoggets

Cheers . We’re is that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Cheers . We’re is that ?

kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Are hoggets prices beginning to ease a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

k mac wrote: »

They are acourse - how do I know, cos I have a few to sell next week...

FFS...

They are acourse - how do I know, cos I have a few to sell next week...

FFS...

Same as that..how much are they cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

No there not 7:30 yesterday morning
    Today they’ll give you 7:50 in icm couldn’t get enough sheep yesterday no spring lambs coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Any quotes for cull ewes?

Duke92 wrote: »
    No there not 7:30 yesterday morning
    Today they’ll give you 7:50 in icm couldn’t get enough sheep yesterday no spring lambs coming

Thanks, reading this had me worried

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/sheep-trade-hogget-quotes-ease-again-while-spring-lamb-prices-drive-forward/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Haven't been to dawn ballyhaunis in ages and dont see quotes for them in the papers. They still do sheep and are they competitive ?

Haven't been to dawn ballyhaunis in ages and dont see quotes for them in the papers. They still do sheep and are they competitive ?

They still do sheep. I did not get yesterdays Independent but they are always quotes for Ballyhaunis in it, i think last week they were 7 euro plus the 10c QA bonus for hoggets. They seem to be around the same price usually as the other factories bar kildare chilling which always seem to be about 20 or 30 cent more

They still do sheep. I did not get yesterdays Independent but they are always quotes for Ballyhaunis in it, i think last week they were 7 euro plus the 10c QA bonus for hoggets. They seem to be around the same price usually as the other factories bar kildare chilling which always seem to be about 20 or 30 cent more

That's good. Its agriland articles I look at and they only quote kildare, icm and kepak. Good to have another option to go to.

Any more than 7.50 going for hoggets for next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Any more than 7.50 going for hoggets for next week ?

Anyone selling for any less than 7.50 to 23.5 is being screwed. Bring them to the mart and lartvthem compete and pay commission, and for the full weight in the average. ( Mix up the heavy and lighter liveweights if they look anyway uniform at all)
    The buyers can’t stand in ring or near scales to handle them now. An ill wind blows in someone’s favour!!

Ringing yday evening looking them for tue morn. I have a feeling there is more to be got

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ringing yday evening looking them for tue morn. I have a feeling there is more to be got

The Spring lamb is not in it (factories screwed them for years) and anything that resembled a hogget here or the UK is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

What's happening out there?
    Is there 3 weeks left in hoggets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Isn’t there a special hogget sale in Tullow today? Keep us posted if anyone watches. Thanks

Any prices for this week?

720 including qa ballyhaunis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Isn’t there a special hogget sale in Tullow today? Keep us posted if anyone watches. Thanks

Are they back so? I thought they were a bit more?

Ya get 7.50 in plenty of places . Worth more than 7.20 in any mart

Def not less in any mart. Bit more if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ya get 7.50 in plenty of places . Worth more than 7.20 in any mart

Def not less in any mart. Bit more if anything

You'd imagine the heat would be off the trade now,, a lot of people buy lamb for easter and butcher shops will give any money for it just to provide the service.

wrangler wrote: »
    You'd imagine the heat would be off the trade now,, a lot of people buy lamb for easter and butcher shops will give any money for it just to provide the service.

I think it’s the Ramadan trade is the big one now.
    I think the big Easter lamb market here is gone. Maybe it was higher this year, with more people eating at home, but as a reliable market I‘d say it’s finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

That’s a shocking bad price at moment most on 7:50 to 23.5 kgs

• Advertisement

I think it’s the Ramadan trade is the big one now.
    I think the big Easter lamb market here is gone. Maybe it was higher this year, with more people eating at home, but as a reliable market I‘d say it’s finished?

Heard alot of tesco ads on radio promoting easter lamb last week, which is good. But over last few years the end of Ramadan was peak demand. I always had a few hoggets kept aside for it and the factories would be flat out on the run up, when I'd be dropping hoggets for it . Also get lads ringing looking for hoggets. Hopefully this year wont be any different.

Advertisement