Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Duke92 wrote: »
    That’s a shocking bad price at moment most on 7:50 to 23.5 kgs

Sorry am more update now €7:70 is going

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OnDtown

Have taken €7.80 from Kildare for this Thursday for the last of this years hoggets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

€ 7.30 in athleague

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

OnDtown wrote: »
    Have taken €7.80 from Kildare for this Thursday for the last of this years hoggets

Heard same but man has to travel from Wexford, Icm man started “emmm 7.20+ 10 ah il give 7.40..”
    The cartel has crumpled unbeknownst to him.
    Trying to save Larry a few euro and he ain’t but a number to Larry! 40cent is a lot to a farmer.
    A buyer he calls himself. What all he buys is his weeks shopping. arrogance personified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Some trade in roscommon mart today. Hoggets making over €180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Store lambs and ewe lambs will be making more than fat lambs next autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Store lambs and ewe lambs will be making more than fat lambs next autumn

Ah dont say that Wrangler... ;)

The poor farmer buying store lambs must make a bit of money too... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ah dont say that Wrangler... ;)

The poor farmer buying store lambs must make a bit of money too... :)

Wait till you see, you'll be fighting over them next year. no one better than farmers to lose their money where they made it.
    The factories are losing their shirt now but they'll be rubbing their hands next autumn when the numbers start to rise, I'm sure they're swearing vengeance already so we'll be depending on you guys to drive them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I generally sell most of my sheep in Jan/Feb/Mar. Neighbours used to think I was mad. Worked out this year and long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Wait till you see, you'll be fighting over them next year. no one better than farmers to lose their money where they made it.
    The factories are losing their shirt now but they'll be rubbing their hands next autumn when the numbers start to rise, I'm sure they're swearing vengeance already so we'll be depending on you guys to drive them

Plus 1

• Advertisement

Store lambs were e90 plus at 33 kg last augest.....finished lamb was barely scraping e105 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Is this the new norm though ? Why have prices risen. Is it down to brexit ? or is it down to the fact that most nz meat is now going to china instead of europe and theres a europe wide shortage of lamb ?

Is this the new norm though ? Why have prices risen. Is it down to brexit ? or is it down to the fact that most nz meat is now going to china instead of europe and theres a europe wide shortage of lamb ?

https://ahdb.org.uk/gb-deadweight-sheep-prices

Uk prices are every bit as strong??

It could be the chinese government clamping down on eating bats etc,while still not recovered from the 2018-2019 swine flu outbreak and mass cullings,who remembers the chinese meat factory inspections in middle of beef protests?

(dogs and cat meat consumption is being phased out aswell)

It could be an increasingly affulent india aswell,where eating cow would be taboo??

https://ahdb.org.uk/gb-deadweight-sheep-prices

Uk prices are every bit as strong??

It could be the chinese government clamping down on eating bats etc,while still not recovered from the 2018-2019 swine flu outbreak and mass cullings,who remembers the chinese meat factory inspections in middle of beef protests?

(dogs and cat meat consumption is being phased out aswell)

It could be an increasingly affulent india aswell,where eating cow would be taboo??

Exactly. Our levels of production are soo small in comparison to the demands of china, I dont think it would make any difference if we doubled our capacity overnight. Theres a way bigger picture then us out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Store lambs were e90 plus at 33 kg last augest.....finished lamb was barely scraping e105 iirc

I have given up trying to predict what markets might be like in farming... No idea why the price is so strong now, it could be stronger in August or it could be on the floor...

I'll see what things are like in August / September and we'll see what to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Strore lambs come off mountains in general. Its the light store lamb that 15-sub 30kgs that you need for this time of year to kill sub 23kg carcase weight. Price all winter has been good but only on fire now. Trying to get lads to put sheep back on mountains will take a while it would be two years time before you see an increase in supply

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

can't see the sheep trade dropping off much too be honest,an awful lot medium to large flock in the Midlands and South East gone from sheep to dairy.Also with the age profile of a lot of sheep farmers i have seen in marts over the past few years further expansion is hardly on the cards for the vast majority of them

can't see the sheep trade dropping off much too be honest,an awful lot medium to large flock in the Midlands and South East gone from sheep to dairy.Also with the age profile of a lot of sheep farmers i have seen in marts over the past few years further expansion is hardly on the cards for the vast majority of them

As well over the last 10+ years lads have got rid of mountain flocks. The return on hill lambs was brutal. With maybe a 70% weaning to see rate and hill lambs often struggling to manage a euro/kg LW in the autumn it was easier to get rid of them and stock an extra Suckler cow or two. With the reduction in lowland herds there was no demand for breeding hoggets either

It's very hard to restock mountains as it's hard to get sheep to become native to the area. As well with prices so strong we see lads that traditionally held onto hoggot ewe's for to see for breeding now selling them for slaughter. Higher ration prices will discourage early spring lamb. While prices may not be as hot next year the day of the 4-5euro/ kg DW lamb during the winter is gone for a while

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

As well over the last 10+ years lads have got rid of mountain flocks. The return on hill lambs was brutal. With maybe a 70% weaning to see rate and hill lambs often struggling to manage a euro/kg LW in the autumn it was easier to get rid of them and stock an extra Suckler cow or two. With the reduction in lowland herds there was no demand for breeding hoggets either

It's very hard to restock mountains as it's hard to get sheep to become native to the area. As well with prices so strong we see lads that traditionally held onto hoggot ewe's for to see for breeding now selling them for slaughter. Higher ration prices will discourage early spring lamb. While prices may not be as hot next year the day of the 4-5euro/ kg DW lamb during the winter is gone for a while

Maybe it’s the thing to get into? I buy light store bullocks to graze and make very little. Not going to milk so maybe an easy care lambing flock. Ch ram on llyns or something.

Maybe it’s the thing to get into? I buy light store bullocks to graze and make very little. Not going to milk so maybe an easy care lambing flock. Ch ram on llyns or something.

Ya might be an option. However on low land most lambs would finish by October at the latest. Weight limits in factories limit the weight you can carry jambs to. Ta you might squeeze a few away in marts at heavier weights as butcher lambs. However the day is gone of carrying Border Leicester lambs to 75-80 kgs live weight as an aunt of mine used do with her husband. Autumn glut may still impact prices but its the autumn store lamb in the 25-30 kg mark where the action may be

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Dawn 780 for Monday hoggets

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Very basic question: has the price of lamb gone up in the supermarkets?

That is, are the processors just charging the supermarkets more for lamb? And then the supermarkets pass on the extra costs to the consumer?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

148multi wrote: »
    Dawn 780 for Monday hoggets

Heavy hoggets topped out at €191 @ 56kg in Manorhamilton last night and circa €180-185 was common place for fleshed hoggets. By my reckoning €191 is the equivalent of €8.10 if killing to 23.5kg and pay haulage and commission afterwards. There's a serious push on for number's atm and it's a simply a case of getting them bought. One man that feeds and kills a lot of sheep all year round said he never believed he'd see the day when he'd be the under bidder on fat sheep at €190 and fail to buy them.

That is, are the processors just charging the supermarkets more for lamb? And then the supermarkets pass on the extra costs to the consumer?

I keep telling you all the supermarkets are fleecing the factories. They will maintain their margin. It's hard to believe that the factories are getting hit but they are.

There may be supply contracts or Supermarkets often take a short term hit on a meat price if they think prices will reduce back in the short term. In general they dislike to rise and drop prices continually. If prices remain high in the medium term they will rise prices.

Beef prices have remained constant over the last 2-3 years even though prices are 10% off prices 3-4 years ago. You win some you lose some

Slava Ukrainii

There may be supply contracts or Supermarkets often take a short term hit on a meat price if they think prices will reduce back in the short term. In general they dislike to rise and drop prices continually. If prices remain high in the medium term they will rise prices.

Beef prices have remained constant over the last 2-3 years even though prices are 10% off prices 3-4 years ago. You win some you lose some

I can remember talking to a butcher who bought lambs off me a few years back. At the time lamb prices were good and I joked to him about having to pay me a high price for the lamb. He just shrugged his shoulders and said he didnt mind paying a bit extra for the lamb because he was saving on what he was able to buy his beef at. So all balances out really was his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Don't think so. Most reduced prices for Easter.
    You'll get leg of lamb for less in supermarket than the factory is paying for it and leg of lamb.

I'm not sure about the price of chops but don't think they're gone up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Why do you think lambs will be cheap in autumn wrangler? Do you not see the strong trade continuing into next year at least? I’d have thought everything lining up nicely for a year for the sheep farmer for once

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think the game changer is Brexit. Its not economical for the likes of ICM to go to Carlisle mart and but lambs during february and march and april when supply was low , and bring them up to Straraer and over to Larne and kill them in Navan or Camolin. thats what was keeping a floor on the market some years.It will get very hard to do that now with tarrifs on live animals from outside the EU into the EU, but the French market is massive and British lamb was our main rival into France, thats gone now. Also other big emerging markets are Germany, Belgium, Holland and Scandinavia, these places have had serious amounts of Muslim migration so thats a savage help, instead of trying to break into Muslim markets in North Africa or the Middle East the market has come to us , or at least a small share.

The next trick is to get Irish lamb into USA or other North African states if they begin to improve their economies and their population becomes more affluent to buy good lamb peices. How does Ireland stack up statisitcally with the rest of Europe as a sheep meat producer? or the world for that matter? theres also been a big cull in ewe numbers throughtout Britain, most state owned farms have culled ewe numbers heavily as they were first to see the writing on the wall i suppose, so less competition again from Britian.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think the game changer is Brexit. Its not economical for the likes of ICM to go to Carlisle mart and but lambs during february and march and april when supply was low , and bring them up to Straraer and over to Larne and kill them in Navan or Camolin. thats what was keeping a floor on the market some years.It will get very hard to do that now with tarrifs on live animals from outside the EU into the EU, but the French market is massive and British lamb was our main rival into France, thats gone now. Also other big emerging markets are Germany, Belgium, Holland and Scandinavia, these places have had serious amounts of Muslim migration so thats a savage help, instead of trying to break into Muslim markets in North Africa or the Middle East the market has come to us , or at least a small share.

The next trick is to get Irish lamb into USA or other North African states if they begin to improve their economies and their population becomes more affluent to buy good lamb peices. How does Ireland stack up statisitcally with the rest of Europe as a sheep meat producer? or the world for that matter? theres also been a big cull in ewe numbers throughtout Britain, most state owned farms have culled ewe numbers heavily as they were first to see the writing on the wall i suppose, so less competition again from Britian.

Don't think Brexit has had effect yet. Sheep is just as scarce at Carlisle mart as any mart in this country. But the dynamics of the customer base has changed. Australia/New Zealand is shipping product to Asia en mass. Muslim population in Europe is also a factor.

Advertisement