Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

The hoggets you have are more than likely for lowland production. If lambs hold a good price all summer then hogget prices should be strong.

However I be tempted to hang so e if they were mine. Spread less fertlizer. Lower fertlizer on silage ground and cut a larger area. Set stock some of the farm. Mover cattle out if paddocks a day sooner and top them. Some of it entails extra work but savings can be made that will further increase profits

Drystock is a low input game if you can lower inputs it will increase profits to add to profit on those hoggets

Some of mine would be the cream. Their equivalent made 220e last August. The rest be 2nd n 3rd class made 180 ~ 200 last year.

I think cattle will surprise yet. Making silage around here is a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't set the place for love nor money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kk.man wrote: »
    Some of mine would be the cream. Their equivalent made 220e last August. The rest be 2nd n 3rd class made 180 ~ 200 last year.

I think cattle will surprise yet. Making silage around here is a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't set the place for love nor money.

If they are that quality I hold them. Ya cattle may surprise us yet but It not like lamb and hogget prices. We have 200k extra cattle coming on line next year unless we export vast numbers of yearlings this summer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The whole of the healthy price is based on the processors price control mechanism grinding to a sharp halt. The loss of truckloads of UK sheep to guarantee they don’t have to negotiate with a local producer.
    How many times I’ve heard the Icm telephone operators say “we will “do” them for you such and such day”
    The lack of any meaningful rise at retail level blows the theory of large volume small margin that even some beaten Stockholm syndrome suffering producers allude to!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Maybe it's more important to point out what hasn't caused the price rise?

Electronic tags, Bord Bia's 10c/kg, and clipping charges - none of these apparently essential initiatives have contributed to the current price. But "the industry" told us we needed them or we'd all go bust.

Any other new brain-fart from the industry (that is, the Dept, processors, and retailers) that they claim is essential should be laughed out the door.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Electronic tags, Bord Bia's 10c/kg, and clipping charges - none of these apparently essential initiatives have contributed to the current price. But "the industry" told us we needed them or we'd all go bust.

Any other new brain-fart from the industry (that is, the Dept, processors, and retailers) that they claim is essential should be laughed out the door.

Product won't always be scarce and the customer is always right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Excellent point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

wrangler wrote: »

There is a lot of farmers turned off of sheep altogether with what was going on heretofore so its hard to see product increasing at any reasonable rate.

There won't be farms bought from current sheep prices but it may allow for a bit of investment in facilities etc that should have been done ages ago but simply couldn't be afforded.

There is a lot of farmers turned off of sheep altogether with what was going on heretofore so its hard to see product increasing at any reasonable rate.

There won't be farms bought from current sheep prices but it may allow for a bit of investment in facilities etc that should have been done ages ago but simply couldn't be afforded.

Yea, the amount of replacements that are being slaughtered is huge, we'll be doing well to hold numbers for the next two years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Was reading an article that said huge numbers were slaughtered across water ahead of brexit. That means they flooded the market over the last year, reducing the price we should have otherwise got over the last year. So in reality, the extra we're getting now, just balances out with qhat we missed out over the 9 months previous.

Store lamb buyers have done well for the past few years. there's farmers around here with thousands so they'll really cash in and they've done well over the last few years too, they bring their stores from Kerry, they're great animals to grow.
    Western stores wouldn't be in the same category atall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Got rid of the last of my stores today. They were a mixed bag. Couple of runts in it but sone nice fleshy ones too. As I was off work today said I’d take to mart as thought I would get on better with the mixed weights. Now it’s not my normal mart but it was on Monday so just suited me. Only dealt there a few times.
    Got on fierce bad. Auctioneer started them really low and only few bids on them and they were sold subject.
    Now I hadn’t intended staying at mart as have last few ewes lambing. But as numbers were low said I would hang on. Luckily I did.
    Decided to load them back in the trailer and bring them to factory.

Got over €34 a head extra for them in the factory.
    Something odd there.

Came home around lunch and of course a ewe had tried to lamb a big single with the head out. Lamb dead.
    Such a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Tileman wrote: »
    Got rid of the last of my stores today. They were a mixed bag. Couple of runts in it but sone nice fleshy ones too. As I was off work today said I’d take to mart as thought I would get on better with the mixed weights. Now it’s not my normal mart but it was on Monday so just suited me. Only dealt there a few times.
    Got on fierce bad. Auctioneer started them really low and only few bids on them and they were sold subject.
    Now I hadn’t intended staying at mart as have last few ewes lambing. But as numbers were low said I would hang on. Luckily I did.

Something odd there.

Came home around lunch and of course a ewe had tried to lamb a big single with the head out. Lamb dead.
    Such a day.

That’s a pain when that happens. I went to the lab this year with a lamb too and same thing when I came back.
    Was well worth bringing to the factory-at least ya got satisfaction from that! It was some difference

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Tileman wrote: »

Something odd there.

Such a day.

Was that Kilkenny by any chance? There’s a few ***** in there that work together and unless one or two other lads are in there buying your ****ed as the usual idiots in the corner work together.

Horse ****. The individual tag numbers were a brainfart from our civil servants trying to be the biggest lickarses in the eu classroom.
    The eid were a follow on because the reading of them is tedious slow and difficult. The actual lambs never needed individual numbers as the the head goes out with the tags. They are batched by flocknumber only. And that’s all the buyers want.

The Chinese market bull****?? The eaters of all on the table be it offal or rodent, the table and the insects on the floor under it!

The clipping cost along with all this nonsense being passed back to the producer showed the farm reps to be a useful as a chocolate teapots.

Young95 wrote: »
    Was that Kilkenny by any chance? There’s a few ***** in there that work together and unless one or two other lads are in there buying your ****ed as the usual idiots in the corner work together.

Plus 1

Jjameson wrote: »
    Horse ****. The individual tag numbers were a brainfart from our civil servants trying to be the biggest lickarses in the eu classroom.
    The eid were a follow on because the reading of them is tedious slow and difficult. The actual lambs never needed individual numbers as the the head goes out with the tags. They are batched by flocknumber only. And that’s all the buyers want.

The Chinese market bull****?? The eaters of all on the table be it offal or rodent, the table and the insects on the floor under it!

The clipping cost along with all this nonsense being passed back to the producer showed the farm reps to be a useful as a chocolate teapots.

Whether you use a chocolate tea pot or a bulldozer you wont bully a private company, the sooner farmers grow up and see that the better.
    Tags are a great management tool, '' If you can't measure it, you can't manage it''

tbf the clipping charge was always going to appear,we all seen lambs at marts/factories which were a disgrace

Lads need to have some bit of pride in what they produce........recent prices kind of show,what factories were always capable of giving,but wouldnt

Anyone dare a guess on what the june-july finished lamb price will be?

tbf the clipping charge was always going to appear,we all seen lambs at marts/factories which were a disgrace

Lads need to have some bit of pride in what they produce........recent prices kind of show,what factories were always capable of giving,but wouldnt

Probably back around or below 6/kg. There is.one thing however as ration prices are crazy lads may be less likely to feed it to draft lambs earlier. There will be little fear of letting lambs fatten away at there own rate and kill later in the year. Processor's however will reduce there committment to contracts which will allow them more price conyrol

Slava Ukrainii

Whether you use a chocolate tea pot or a bulldozer you wont bully a private company, the sooner farmers grow up and see that the better.
    Tags are a great management tool, '' If you can't measure it, you can't manage it''

The sooner more farmers realise that we are the dog that shouldn’t be wagged by our tail the better.

The majority of lambs are tagged on day of sale and the only management tag a ewe needs is a red cull tag.
    I see no advantage for anyone. Are they individually tagged elsewhere in the eu?

I agree some lambs are/were a disgrace but I had lambs in a straw bedded shed for weeks(a couple of years back), agent loaded them and factory docked me clipping charge.

I rang the manager of the factory and got no hop.

As I said if they introduce uniformity in the rules I have no problem. This was one of the wettest years going and hey presto no clipping charges

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    I agree some lambs are/were a disgrace but I had lambs in a straw bedded shed for weeks(a couple of years back), agent loaded them and factory docked me clipping charge.

I rang the manager of the factory and got no hop.

As I said if they introduce uniformity in the rules I have no problem. This was one of the wettest years going and hey presto no clipping charges

Clipping charges were always a racket, installing anything in a production line only costs labour as depreciation of capital expenses only adds pennies to a charge in the long-term. In a production line would a lad clip 100+ lambs/ hour, at 15/ hour t( to get include holidays and employer prsi) you are looking at sub 15c/ carcase at the most. How any production business cannot absorb that costs is shocking. If you charge you charge to encourage lads to present clean lambs. To do that you charge lads with first lambs not lads with clean lambs. In the case of cattle it has to be accepted that dirt on slats will require clipping.

Slava Ukrainii

The sooner more farmers realise that we are the dog that shouldn’t be wagged by our tail the better.

The majority of lambs are tagged on day of sale and the only management tag a ewe needs is a red cull tag.
    I see no advantage for anyone. Are they individually tagged elsewhere in the eu?

What way are they tagged in the north, I should know, I've seen enough of them in the lairage, but I'm nearly sure the norther lambs were more tagged than the southern ones for a long time.
    We had an EU audit here years ago with a team of EU vets and despite the good record keeping and individual tagging they weren't satisfied. Can't remember why but department told us after that they were lucky they didn't send them anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any prices for the week? 8.20 going for hoggets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

What way are they tagged in the north, I should know, I've seen enough of them in the lairage, but I'm nearly sure the norther lambs were more tagged than the southern ones for a long time.
    We had an EU audit here years ago with a team of EU vets and despite the good record keeping and individual tagging they weren't satisfied. Can't remember why but department told us after that they were lucky they didn't send them anywhere else

We've been using EID tags up here for at least ten years now, complete waste of money as the factory never gave you a print out of each individual lamb carcase against their EID tag. They just provided a list from 1 to whatever, despite all the lobbying done by unions they couldn't force them to implement it.

We've been using EID tags up here for at least ten years now, complete waste of money as the factory never gave you a print out of each individual lamb carcase against their EID tag. They just provided a list from 1 to whatever, despite all the lobbying done by unions they couldn't force them to implement it.

dawn ballyhauinis do....i always cross check as i weigh as im tagging and they do tend to kill out as expected

Surely its a pointless exercise orherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

dawn ballyhauinis do....i always cross check as i weigh as im tagging and they do tend to kill out as expected

Surely its a pointless exercise orherwise

ICM do too & will email document by end of day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

razor8 wrote: »

Oh, I didnt know they emailed...

How do you get them to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Young95 wrote: »

It was indeed .

razor8 wrote: »

And bless than one minute after the carcass is weighed the carcass gets a batch number(as is correct and right and makes sense) the individual tag number means nothing. They have made something very simple very complicated for no purpose.
    Yes wrangler the uk lambs always had similar tagging to our own.

Because of the nonsensical system we allowed be inflicted on us the eid is a godsend for reading the little numbers. And the Chinese can tuck into their paddy whack with local roasted bat safe in the knowledge that somewhere on landfill there’s an ear with a plastic eid tag buried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

the Chinese can tuck into their paddy whack with local roasted bat safe in the knowledge that somewhere on landfill there’s an ear with a plastic eid tag buried!

Chinese aren't eating our lamb. Their too busy buying nz lamb, who afaik do not tag their lambs.

Advertisement