Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

I tag all lambs at a day old with a small management tag. I dip the tip of the tag in surgical spirits before applying it and I don't get any bother thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »
    A lot of people not putting them in right. Too young.
    Whatever reason and a lot of holy than though characters less than truthful.

We do them at a day old with the eid and then the ewe lambs we're keeping get the second tag at mating and we can take a sheep inspection any time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

wrangler wrote: »
    We do them at a day old with the eid and then the ewe lambs we're keeping get the second tag at mating and we can take a sheep inspection any time

Ah your the lick arse setting a high bar for a rooter like me! Why tag so young?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

A lot of talk about tagging here last while ... no money in tagging sheep. Any quotes anyone for a man trying to get a few dollars in??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

You are naive and wrangler is also naive to believe that an individual lamb is going to be traced accurately to farm of birth or that there’s practicality to it. Tags fall out, ears get infected and you have to cut them out.
    The only way to cure this is it should be a legal requirement for live sheep sellers to declare if there’s anthelmintics or treatment in sheep at point of sale.
    At least then there might be a grain of sense to it.

The buck stops with the farm that kills them and once they leave the previous owners yard it’s impossible to say who dosed or treated before or after . That’s who’s responsible so it’s up to him to ensure withhold dates are adhered to.

There isn’t one publicised incidence where this system has shown any benefit in tracing anything.

There was a case local, agent bought in the mart. The lambs weren't out of withdrawal. The dept nearly tore him a new ****.
    Bucko that sold them slept easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

148multi wrote: »
    There was a case local, agent bought in the mart. The lambs weren't out of withdrawal. The dept nearly tore him a new ****.
    Bucko that sold them slept easy.

Were they sold as being within withdrawal dates? Or did the seller say anything?

Were they sold as being within withdrawal dates? Or did the seller say anything?

The buyer can’t can’t prove or disprove if he dosed them with something. That’s where the buck stops, and when the lamb is hanging in cold room his flocknumber is the only number on that lamb.

So in my opinion the only tag that should be in a sheep’s ear is the owners flocknumber. All others should be removed.
    Easy read.
    No expense.
    Fully traceable.

Lambs sold without treatment being revealed.

The only people who benefit from the eid tags IMHO are the factorys and the store lamb finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

I saw a lamb with his mouth nearly gone with orf in a discussion forum, That farmer should be penalised and as for the farmer that recommended treating with petrol I'll leave that to your imagination.....all for the want of a scratch with scabivax.

wrangler - do you find Scabivax works well as I was talking to a neighbour yesterday who had used it on his lambs but he now has 6-7 with orf and is not happy after paying so much for it ?

Also do you know if those Tubby Lick Buckets are any good in the treatment of orf ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The buyer can’t can’t prove or disprove if he dosed them with something. That’s where the buck stops, and when the lamb is hanging in cold room his flock number is the only number on that lamb.

So in my opinion the only tag that should be in a sheep’s ear is the owners flock number. All others should be removed.
    Easy read.
    No expense.
    Fully traceable.

I assume the majority of lambs sold go from primary farm to factory?

What happens if the lamb is either sold as a store? Or sold in the mart?

It would mean the lamb would need to be retagged at each step, the way it was before EID tags came in...
    This would be cheaper for the primary producer, buts its still an expense - and its an expense at each step along the chain.

Although, I don't think your issue is with the expense of it, its more the principle of individual tags...

Anyways, EID tagging at source suits me as a store lamb buyer, if the rules change, we'll work with those too...

Sami23 wrote: »
    wrangler - do you find Scabivax works well as I was talking to a neighbour yesterday who had used it on his lambs but he now has 6-7 with orf and is not happy after paying so much for it ?

Also do you know if those Tubby Lick Buckets are any good in the treatment of orf ?

If you look at the lambs scratch after a fortnight you'll know whether you did it right or not, it reacts to the scratch with a scab, it actually gets a mild form of orf.
    If you scatch them with an empty needle it'll barely mark them.
    We've never had orf since we started Scabivax.
    As for the tubby lick buckets, Salt is great for healing so you'd imagine that if the lambs liked it it'd be great for cleaning the wound and they'd be getting a treatment from it daily.
    I got orf on my hand once, it must be terrible on the mouth I'm like the reformed smokers now, I think no one should put a lamb through the pain of orf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Sami23 wrote: »

Always found Scabivax to be very effective, although I'd get the odd case where you might see orf around the mouth. When I catch them I can see that I didn't maybe scratch them properly, you'd not be able to see the scratch marks on their axilla. If you catch a few others you'd see pustules and scabs forming where they had been scratched and they'd never have orf around their mouths. It's a tricky enough method of applying it, making sure the skin is bare enough and the prongs don't get covered in wool balls.

I assume the majority of lambs sold go from primary farm to factory?

What happens if the lamb is either sold as a store? Or sold in the mart?

It would mean the lamb would need to be retagged at each step, the way it was before EID tags came in...
    This would be cheaper for the primary producer, buts its still an expense - and its an expense at each step along the chain.

Although, I don't think your issue is with the expense of it, its more the principle of individual tags...

Anyways, EID tagging at source suits me as a store lamb buyer, if the rules change, we'll work with those too...
    Yes I think every time a sheep changes owner it should be retagged with one tag with the same 8 digit flocknumber for every sheep you own or sell.

Eid is a godsend for reading them in the factory or large groups but it’s all pointless in the first place. Eid was just an expensive solution to a stupid idea.

The brainfart of individual numbering for small animals that are for the most part sold in groups makes something very simple very complicated.

If the sheep has your flocknumber in its ear you own and bear responsible for that sheep.

Where or what the farm reps were at 20 years ago when this nonsense started I don’t know.

Yes I think every time a sheep changes owner it should be retagged with one tag with the same 8 digit flocknumber for every sheep you own or sell.

Eid is a godsend for reading them in the factory or large groups but it’s all pointless in the first place. Eid was just an expensive solution to a stupid idea.

The brainfart of individual numbering for small animals that are for the most part sold in groups makes something very simple very complicated.

If the sheep has your flocknumber in its ear you own and bear responsible for that sheep.

Where or what the farm reps were at 20 years ago when this nonsense started I don’t know.

I was on the sheep commitee then, got a trip to France and Edinburgh, ah the good old days.

I was on the sheep commitee then, got a trip to France and Edinburgh, ah the good old days.

Didn’t you want all the sheep registers handed back into the dept one specific day and it came a haymaking day so there wasn’t strength in numbers so the poor divils who handed them had to go knee bent asking for them back!!?

Didn’t you want all the sheep registers handed back into the dept one specific day and it came a haymaking day so there wasn’t strength in numbers so the poor divils who handed them had to go knee bent asking for them back!!?

Our county didn't do that, we went our own way before any action was decided, I nearly got thrown out for leading that. The department ran an information meeting in the county on the register and we walked out in protest after ten minutes.
    The minister for agriculture said about the handing in that he didn't realise the farmers were so confused that they didn't know the difference between the Farmers Journal and they flock register. Obviously some replaced the Flock register with the Farmers journal in the big envelopes when they were handing them in

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

What price are 40 kilo lambs getting at the moment?

What price are 40 kilo lambs getting at the moment?

Stores or finished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The ifa were opposed to any form of tagging, most likely we would got a flock tag situation.

Roll on foot and mouth outbreak 2001 and we had to accept what we got to market the sheep so the door was open for the dept to introduce individual tags.

Most likely would have been changed since anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

148multi wrote: »
    Stores or finished

Stores

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

With prices the way they are at the minute what do people think breeding hoggets will be making next back end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

k mac wrote: »
    With prices the way they are at the minute what do people think breeding hoggets will be making next back end

I'd say many of them are/will be killed. But you still have a cohort of ppl that will hold them. It looks promising but a few years back hoggets made good money in the spring and breeding sales were nothing to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

k mac wrote: »

Breeding hogget prices are determined more by the lowland price. That is because a lot of hoggets sales are dominated by crosses more suitable for lowland. These the price of these will be decided by lowland lamb prices over the coming months

However any lad with Cheviot or Blackface hoggets will do well. Some lads wl be tempted on mountain land to up numbers or start back into them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any quotes for next week ?

Any quotes for next week ?

Have a few going tomorrow night for Monday morning

Springs 8.40 +qa
    Ewes 3.40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

orm0nd wrote: »
    Have a few going tomorrow night for Monday morning

Springs 8.40 +qa
    Ewes 3.40

They give you any hoggets quotes ?

They give you any hoggets quotes ?

I didn't ask tbh... haven't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

orm0nd wrote: »
    I didn't ask tbh... haven't any.

8euro 24 kgs ballyhaunis
    I'm hearing there is more but can't confirm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

epfff wrote: »
    8euro 24 kgs ballyhaunis
    I'm hearing there is more but can't confirm

At 8.60e for spring lamb as previously mentioned, hoggets got to be 8e plus.

Advertisement