Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Jjameson wrote: »
    Did they quote you at all?

They just didnt want them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

The issue that drives farmers mad is importing and exporting beef/lamb live by the factories when we as individuals farmers can't do the same. God knows what labels are being used in either jurisdiction. It's makes a joke or Bord Bia a red Tractor schemes.

Burning of property belonging to anyone is uncalled for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

kk.man wrote: »
    It's makes a joke or Bord Bia a red Tractor schemes.

This is the big issue. I don't think the retailers buying meat from processors are that concerned about Bord Bia or Red Tractor labels. They seem happy to use them if the price is right, but they're just as happy to use non-QA stuff.

Price dictates all. If a processor can throw in some QA label, then it's a bonus for the retailer.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

This is the big issue. I don't think the retailers buying meat from processors are that concerned about Bord Bia or Red Tractor labels. They seem happy to use them if the price is right, but they're just as happy to use non-QA stuff.

Price dictates all. If a processor can throw in some QA label, then it's a bonus for the retailer.

It is my opinion they still use either label as there is a anomaly in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I couldn’t care less about the labelling between us and the Uk. Similar producers, similar products, similar production standards.
    It’s all foreign to the french where the vast majority of uk and Irish lamb is consumed. (Whose farmers would have no qualms about burning trucks if aggrieved)

The point is market manipulation. We don’t give a fup what’s on the label.
    We need a twist of the retail price that’s all that matters to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Tried to book in lambs on friday and factory didnt appear to want them. Makes more sense now. Amazing how fast the haulage company took down the picture from its social media once it started circulating around.
    They just didnt want them

They're acting the d1ck ,

we've a lot of issues happening here just now I normally move lambs sunday evening for Monday morning but couldn't this week 'cos of other happenings

inquired about mid week and got story , very hard to get lambs away

told him that's fine, and I'l try else where, done a bit of inquiring there at lunch time and the said agent, was buying in the mart this morning,

orm0nd wrote: »
    They're acting the d1ck ,

inquired about mid week and got story , very hard to get lambs away

told him that's fine, and I'l try else where, done a bit of inquiring there at lunch time and the said agent, was buying in the mart this morning,

You dont know what the marts were like this morning ? Your right though. Then they wonder why farmers dont trust them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just got prices there from IFA,7 - 7.40 for hoggets and7.60 - 8.10 for spring lambs
    Same as other weeks you probably have to be a lick a..e to get those top prices
    Be interesting to see tomorrows quotes on the Indo

wrangler wrote: »
    Just got prices there from IFA,7 - 7.40 for hoggets and7.60 - 8.10 for spring lambs
    Same as other weeks you probably have to be a lick a..e to get those top prices
    Be interesting to see tomorrows quotes on the Indo

There was supposed to be a few ifa heads in Icm this morning and a statement coming on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

There was supposed to be a few ifa heads in Icm this morning and a statement coming on it?

Cant lodge an ifa statement in the bank.

• Advertisement

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

It would light a fire in a tar barrel though if get wind of the when the next load is coming..

We won’t let the Kilkenny men pee in it either kkman!

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

You'd think that farmers'd eventually learn..... factories will do as they like and continue to do so until farmers build their own factories.

Do you think that factories will tell them the truth.
    Price will probably drop more before our guys get to factory gate
    Been there, got the t shirt on that little stunt

Do you think that factories will tell them the truth.
    Price will probably drop more before our guys get to factory gate
    Been there, got the t shirt on that little stunt

You were only there for the t shirt and a picture for the pamphlet.. we have learned since them days.

Hold that truck on the road for a day or two and be interesting to see whatd happen

You were only there for the t shirt and a picture for the pamphlet.. we have learned since them days.

Hold that truck on the road for a day or two and be interesting to see whatd happen

There for the t shirt , picture and free lunch you mean.
    One manager that i used to meet now owns the local hotel, and another manager buys sheep from me for his farm, so we often have the crack about the good old days and the fights therein

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Apart from all the complain
    Anyone any prices on hoggets in factory
    Marts were fairly poor today I taught

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

You dont know what the marts were like this morning ? Your right though. Then they wonder why farmers dont trust them

Over 40 kgs with flesh were making 105 to 115 over the weight. Poor demand for light underfleshed stock.

Athenry wasn't on so that might have helped trade in a couple of marts in the west.

Bank Holiday weekend coming up, another excuse to play down prices.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Over 40 kgs with flesh were making 105 to 115 over the weight. Poor demand for light underfleshed stock.

Athenry wasn't on so that might have helped trade in a couple of marts in the west.

Bank Holiday weekend coming up, another excuse to play down prices.

People bought lamb for easter sunday that won't be buying it now

The Muslim market is where its at and demand is rising with the end of Ramadan. The real deal for sheep meat demand in the world.
    This fall isn’t coming from that end.
    It’s Icm trying to ratchet back the price, from the guys bleary eyed and shell shocked from lambing and now the post lambing tetany, joint I’ll, mastitis and random deaths and miscellaneous hardships.

No respect for the hand that feeds them.

End of Ramadan would be the busiest week of year across europe for lamb demand and we're in the run up to it now.

• Advertisement

End of Ramadan would be the busiest week of year across europe for lamb demand and we're in the run up to it now.

I'm just after reading the Indo, ICM said exactly as I said.
    They bring in a lot of carcases in Camolin as they have the facilities to cut them up. I've often seen the lorries unloading

I'm just after reading the Indo, ICM said exactly as I said.
    They bring in a lot of carcases in Camolin as they have the facilities to cut them up. I've often seen the lorries unloading

It’s a price control measure for the suppliers who feed them. I know a few guys working there and this is a very recent development. They always came in on the hoof from uk up to feb this year.
    And what would bring you to that side of the plant regularly wrangler? There’s no way you got regular sight of that unloading sheep or going to the offices.

It’s a price control measure for the suppliers who feed them. I know a few guys working there and this is a very recent development. They always came in on the hoof up to feb this year.
    And what would bring you to that side of the plant regularly wrangler? There’s no way you got regular sight of that unloading sheep or going to the offices.

Fridges are coming in there all the time, I used to go down with teh groups lorries to sort and I'd be there all day. we'd have to wait until the last lambs are killed and sort the numbers. We wouldn't do it every week but only when the coordinator wouldn't be there.
    There was full fridges coming in there during the last protest, where do you think they were coming from

They take in lambs from navan. Sister plant, used to take in from kepak but never before from Britain. Never.
    Since the redevelopment 9 years ago it’s a completely separate building no farmer would be next to near inside to see loading or unloading of trucks nor would you left hanging atound there to sort any numbers.
    Are you against Sean Denaghy on this?

They take in lambs from navan. Sister plant, used to take in from kepak but never before from Britain. Never.
    Since the redevelopment 9 years ago it’s a completely separate building no farmer would be next to near inside to see loading or unloading of trucks nor would you left hanging atound there to sort any numbers.

I always say I'd never stand at their gates, I've sold almost every lamb to them for 30 years, I often stroll around there and have never been put out. Up until Covid we've stood on the killing line every time we went. It's not an easy day I can tell you I don't know how the coordinator did it every week
    I never knew I wasn't supposed to be there

John walsh told us in 2019 that they brought carcases over form england to be cut up and go back to england as english lamb for those that want it.
    It came up because he had exports to england on his presentation and I queried it

John walsh told us in 2019 that they brought carcases over form england to be cut up and go back to england as english lamb for those that want it.
    It came up because he had exports to england on his presentation and I queried it

Lamb came in live for processing and went back to them. Never carcasses.

Lamb came in live for processing and went back to them. Never carcasses.

How do you know which of the statements are lies, you haven't a clue.
    Where did the full fridges come from during the protests,
    Until the farmers get their finger out and sell their own lamb they haven't a clue. They'd just prefer to blame IFA and Bord Bia than their own laziness.

How do you know which of the statements are lies, you haven't a clue.
    Where did the full fridges come from during the protests,
    Until the farmers get their finger out and sell their own lamb they haven't a clue. They'd just prefer to blame IFA and Bord Bia than their own laziness.

I think the basis of your anger is that I do actually have a clue and the problem with bluffing and bull****ting wrangler is that you have to try remember it all or you trip yourself up.
    And then bull****ters try deflection when desperate.
    The IFA are on the ball on this no one said differently.

The live imports were their price control.
    That’s gone and this is a new tactic.
    It’s a price control effort before a major Muslim festival.

• Advertisement

I think the basis of your anger is that I do actually have a clue and the problem with bluffing and bull****ting wrangler is that you have to try remember it all or you trip yourself up.
    And then bull****ters try deflection when desperate.
    The IFA are on the ball on this no one said differently.

The live imports were their price control.
    That’s gone and this is a new tactic.
    It’s a price control effort before a major Muslim festival.

It doesn't matter what they do, they're a private company.
    What they should do though is tell the farmers to try selling their own feckin lambs, it's an absolute joke what's going on.
    Farmers have a choice, they can sell to the factories or the consumers, there's no gun to their heads to put them into ICM.
    I'm pricing jeeps at the moment and I'm treating the garages the same way as ICM's treating the farmers and if they don't like it they needn't deal

Advertisement