Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

wrangler wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what they do, they're a private company.
    What they should do though is tell the farmers to try selling their own feckin lambs, it's an absolute joke what's going on.
    Farmers have a choice, they can sell to the factories or the consumers, there's no gun to their heads to put them into ICM.
    I'm pricing jeeps at the moment and I'm treating the garages the same way as ICM's treating the farmers and if they don't like it they needn't deal

Their using irish lamb to subsidise english lamb,they arent buying any cheaper over there

If i was in a producer group,signed into suppling x amount of lamb,id be doing best to pull the plug.....bad enough being being up all night in the cold and wet,then rear and feed said lambs to simply subsidise english lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What's the story with bringing over UK lamb carcass to be processed here, in this new post Brexit world?

It goes back out as 'UK lamb', what exactly does this mean?

Does that attract any tariffs, or do tarrifs not come into play for a while yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Their using irish lamb to subsidise english lamb,they arent buying any cheaper over there

If i was in a producer group,signed into suppling x amount of lamb,id be doing best to pull the plug.....bad enough being being up all night in the cold and wet,then rear and feed said lambs to simply subsidise english lambs

ICM are a business, they know no one will compete for their groups, It is a huge job to get a deal out of them. You wouldn't throw the deal away too easily

What's the story with bringing over UK lamb carcass to be processed here, in this new post Brexit world?

Does that attract any tariffs, or do tarrifs not come into play for a while yet?

Is beef and lamb not tariff free anyway, I took it to be so anyway.
    With all the cheap beef we're pushing on the UK it sounds a bit silly to be complaining about taking their lamb

ICM are a business, they know no one will compete for their groups, It is a huge job to get a deal out of them. You wouldn't throw the deal away too easily

Its neither here nor there,if i was in a group,id be wanting plug pulled anyway

Why should irish lamb producers subsidise english lamb,because icm are unable to fill their order book??

As yous say,they are a big business,why do they want us to pay for their poor management?

• Advertisement

Its neither here nor there,if i was in a group,id be wanting plug pulled anyway

Why should irish lamb producers subsidise english lamb,because icm are unable to fill their order book??

As yous say,they are a big business,why do they want us to pay for their poor management?

Is it not good management to bring carcases to where they have the infrastrure.
    If you ever toured their factory you'd see the amount of money tehy've put into slaughter and processing lambs.
    It's poor management on farmers part not to develop another market , to be so dependent on ICM,

Is it not good management to bring carcases to where they have the infrastrure.
    If you ever toured their factory you'd see the amount of money tehy've put into slaughter and processing lambs.
    It's poor management on farmers part not to develop another market , to be so dependent on ICM,

Its poor management to sign a contract for x amount lambs and being unable to supply it,and thus expecting your suppliers to subsidise lambs needing sourced at high cost (prices are record high in england too)

Looks to me,your happy to subsidise english lamb producers and expect others to do so too,the fact icm have shiny processing facilities is neither here nor there in terms of a defence,there should be parity or more for paid out for irish lamb

Its poor management to sign a contract for x amount lambs and being unable to supply it,and thus expecting your suppliers to subsidise lambs needing sourced at high cost (prices are record high in england too)

Looks to me,your happy to subsidise english lamb producers and expect others to do so too,the fact icm have shiny processing facilities is neither here nor there in terms of a defence,there should be parity or more for paid out for irish lamb

We don't have a contract to supply any amount, we just say roughly what we'll supply each month, it has worked for fifty five years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The labelling won’t bother a french or Belgian consumer.
    The problem is this is a few pricks trying to give the illusion that there’s 4 ends on one piece of string.

Transporting lamb from there to here to drag Irish farm gate price, dragging our export price back,
    Uk price then falls to compete,then larries minions can repeat, and keep going until they have us farmers here and the uk working for nothing.

Just like us dragging their beef farmers into the gutter with us because we won’t stand up to a small enough cartel of processors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It doesn't matter what they do, they're a private company.
    What they should do though is tell the farmers to try selling their own feckin lambs, it's an absolute joke what's going on.
    Farmers have a choice, they can sell to the factories or the consumers, there's no gun to their heads to put them into ICM.
    I'm pricing jeeps at the moment and I'm treating the garages the same way as ICM's treating the farmers and if they don't like it they needn't deal

You always come out wth these bullsh!t line's every time you lose the argument. Every company has to abide by rules and regulations resturants, pubs and farmers . We are all private business and sole traders. We have been down this road before with processors bending the rules and when they get caught out its Irish farmers that pay the price just like the f@@king horse meat.

High prices will naturally fix high prices. but retailers and processors want to continually control prices. Retailers want the product, they just want to maintain there excessive margins as do processors. its the same with Beef British retailers want our beef because most of there customers want traceability and some specification it just that them selves and our processors want to maintain there margin.

One thing taht is surprising me this spring is the amount of lads that were finishing a few cattle over the winter that are taking a long hard look at it. most are p!ssed off. As one lad said to me over the weekend that plain bullocks under 36 months are only receiving cow prices. What was more interesting was that he said good quailty suckler cows nearly make as much as 30-36 month continental bullocks if you have a few or you go to the mart with them.

There a lot of lads that passed in with loads of cattle during the last strike might be first to blockade factories this time and the rest of us can sit back and watch

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You always come out wth these bullsh!t line's every time you lose the argument. Every company has to abide by rules and regulations resturants, pubs and farmers . We are all private business and sole traders. We have been down this road before with processors bending the rules and when they get caught out its Irish farmers that pay the price just like the f@@king horse meat.

High prices will naturally fix high prices. but retailers and processors want to continually control prices. Retailers want the product, they just want to maintain there excessive margins as do processors. its the same with Beef British retailers want our beef because most of there customers want traceability and some specification it just that them selves and our processors want to maintain there margin.

One thing taht is surprising me this spring is the amount of lads that were finishing a few cattle over the winter that are taking a long hard look at it. most are p!ssed off. As one lad said to me over the weekend that plain bullocks under 36 months are only receiving cow prices. What was more interesting was that he said good quailty suckler cows nearly make as much as 30-36 month continental bullocks if you have a few or you go to the mart with them.

There a lot of lads that passed in with loads of cattle during the last strike might be first to blockade factories this time and the rest of us can sit back and watch

The jokes on you and every other farmer that thinks they can make the slightest difference to the operation of a meat factory.
    ICM told our PG the exact same thing two years ago as they told Agriland last week, That they take carcases from Ireland and UK for boning and yet I'm accused of being a liar.
    I've been aware of the pointlessness of schoolyard behaviour against meat factories for a long long time, no other business would persist in it, It's a complete waste of time. I often had to listen to Henry Burns spoofing on and on in a meeting, and farmers downright insulting him because he wouldn't do what was impossible and what they themselves were too lazy to do.
    Just because I lose an argument here doesn't mean I'm not right, I told you you'd get nothing from the last protest, need I say more

The jokes on you and every other farmer that thinks they can make the slightest difference to the operation of a meat factory.
    ICM told our PG the exact same thing two years ago as they told Agriland last week, That they take carcases from Ireland and UK for boning and yet I'm accused of being a liar.
    I've been aware of the pointlessness of schoolyard behaviour against meat factories for a long long time, no other business would persist in it, It's a complete waste of time. I often had to listen to Henry Burns spoofing on and on in a meeting, and farmers downright insulting him because he wouldn't do what was impossible and what they themselves were too lazy to do.
    Just because I lose an argument here doesn't mean I'm not right, I told you you'd get nothing from the last protest, need I say more

The farm reps have to listen to a lot I agree.
    But the closing of the live import option(and be sure the barons are fighting like hell to turn this back) has corrected the market to a correct supply balance situation.
    Whatever you say or claim were told the tonnage of carcasses imported across the water was negligible prior to this. These lamb would be costing 8.00€ kg minimum + processing and transport. (The plant they purchased them from hardly settled for 5th quarter for killing them!)

There’s a major Muslim festival in 2 weeks, and sheep aren’t there to meet demand.
    The way to quell a rising market is to artificially depress it. Competition authority are a joke.

Jjameson wrote: »
    The farm reps have to listen to a lot I agree.
    But the closing of the live import option(and be sure the barons are fighting like hell to turn this back) has corrected the market to a correct supply balance situation.
    Whatever you believe or were told the tonnage of carcasses imported across the water was negligible prior to this. These lamb would be costing 8.00€ kg minimum + processing and transport. (The plant they purchased them from hardly settled for 5th quarter for killing them!)

There’s a major Muslim festival in 2 weeks, and sheep aren’t there to meet demand.
    The way to quell a rising market is to artificially depress it. Competition authority are a joke.

Would the carcases not be coming from their own factorY in England same as navan

Would the carcases not be coming from their own factorY in England same as navan

There’s a bit of work being put in at the minute to find that out and when the next is coming.

But they didn’t come because there’s a shortage of facilities across the water in any case and there’s a cost to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Any quotes for tomorrow or Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would there be any hope of lads holding lambs back from slaughter for a week?

Would there be any hope of lads holding lambs back from slaughter for a week?

If we could only get no one to move below €8 before this festival it would be a start and it would at least put a platform under the thing for the early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I dont know how to copy it, but the ifa have put an update on their website. Their putting pressure on the authorities, bord bia, department etc, to ensure all labelling regulations are being adhered to. Good on them !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If we could only get no one to move below €8 before this festival it would be a start and it would at least put a platform under the thing for the early summer.

Very easy say that when you don't have lambs fit , lambs go over fit in a few days never mind a few weeks

I dont know how to copy it, but the ifa have put an update on their website. Their putting pressure on the authorities, bord bia, department etc, to ensure all labelling regulations are being adhered to. Good on them !!!

Here's a link,

https://www.ifa.ie/farm-sectors/ifa-meet-icm-and-call-on-authorities-to-validate-imports/

• Advertisement

Very easy say that when you don't have lambs fit , lambs go over fit in a few days never mind a few weeks

When I used to chair meetings, I'd ask 'Is there anyone here with cattle to sell that want to block the factories'. TBF it was no one elses' business

The authorities would have to be in the factory 24/7 to do that.
    During the time there was intervention the factories would be moving more meat at night than during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

During the time there was intervention the factories would be moving more meat at night than during the day

Theres a paper trail for everything these days. Regular auditing and spot checks to confirm compliance of laws and regulations. Monitoring imported tonnage and ensuring corresponding tonnage is correctly labelled out the other side. Any company would only be delighted to proving their following all proper regulations.

I know that’s a problem when they get up on 46 kg they just rocket after that. The few I’ve left are around 42 to 45 and I’m letting them sit till week after next. In for a penny in for a pound. Kildare paid 8.10 yesterday to guy Icm wouldn’t quote on Friday.

Have ewe hoggets that didn’t go in lamb or went wrong and would move them if they were up over the 170 Mark but no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's the avenue to go. The whole issue of Labelling must be addressed given more so that UK is a non EU state.

Theres a paper trail for everything these days. Regular auditing and spot checks to confirm compliance of laws and regulations. Monitoring imported tonnage and ensuring corresponding tonnage is correctly labelled out the other side. Any company would only be delighted to proving their following all proper regulations.

From asking around I’m told that yes the labelling would be ok and there’s no real incentive not to.

The bord bia label and flags mean zilch in France and Belgium.
    But I agree with wrangler in that given precedence there’s no way civil servants and definitely not bord bia would be able to keep them in check if there was money in fiddling.
    The IFA are on the ball in fairness to them and were there straight away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Attached is the pic from the IFJ this week

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

A man that worked as a buyer for a now closed factory during the 90’s told me recently they smuggled a lot of lambs down from the north at night back then. Smuggled was his word.

A man that worked as a buyer for a now closed factory during the 90’s told me recently they smuggled a lot of lambs down from the north at night back then. Smuggled was his word.

That was VAT fraud back then.

Apparently these lamb carcasses are coming from a halal plant near Yorkshire. And there will be more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

That was VAT fraud back then.

Apparently these lamb carcasses are coming from a halal plant near Yorkshire. And there will be more.

I think your suggestion of no lamb for less than €8/kg is realistic. Bringing in UK lamb is more expensive so the blackguarding won't last long.
    For once the farmers actually have the ability to win this one.

Advertisement