Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »
    That was VAT fraud back then.

Apparently these lamb carcasses are coming from a halal plant near Yorkshire. And there will be more.

Our group sent 250 today and even the spring lambs wouldn't have got €8 if ICM adhered to the deal and hogget 50c less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I think your suggestion of no lamb for less than €8/kg is realistic. Bringing in UK lamb is more expensive so the blackguarding won't last long.
    For once the farmers actually have the ability to win this one.

I based it off this

https://ahdb.org.uk/beef-lamb/individual-finished-auction-markets

Lambs would of been killed last midweek to end of week and avg uk deadweight old season lamb price ending previous Friday of 6.79.5 sterling, roughly 7.90€.
    It will continue while Irish sheep farmers load up and sell. Because lambs go overweight, lambs die and the factory will likely have them cheaper next week.
    There’s no indication of increased supply or fall off in demand that I am see. The contrary. Peak demand is in 2 weeks and hoggets are getting like holly with berries.
    Uk price has fallen this week.
    I would bet anything there’s British lamb in Icm on Monday.

wrangler wrote: »
    Our group sent 250 today and even the spring lambs wouldn't have got €8 if ICM adhered to the deal and hogget 50c less

The “lamb” from uk was hogget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The “lamb” from uk was hogget.

They have to take anything we give them, 60hggets 14 ewes , the rest spring lambs we get the group breakdown emailed here

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any prices for hoggets and springs for this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Any prices for hoggets and springs for this week

Hear 720 for hoggets but thats second hand info .

Judging by the Mart today hoggets have to be at least in the 7.50.
    And lamb 8€.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi, I’ve 10 lambs ready for the off tomorrow. There around 42kgs. I’ve another 15 average 36kgs. I’m tempted to let these off aswell. There handling well. Any thoughts. (Mart sale)

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi, I’ve 10 lambs ready for the off tomorrow. There around 42kgs. I’ve another 15 average 36kgs. I’m tempted to let these off aswell. There handling well. Any thoughts. (Mart sale)

I’d put a cut off of 40kg for the lightest. Let them all in together if they anyway uniform at all. Dividing only cheapens the heavy ones for them. You will be up on 160 if they avg 40 in the ring. If it’s Kilkenny mart wait for Tuesday and go to Tullow.

I’d put a cut off of 40kg for the lightest. Let them all in together if they anyway uniform at all. Dividing only cheapens the heavy ones for them. You will be up on 160 if they avg 40 in the ring. If it’s Kilkenny mart wait for Tuesday and go to Tullow.

Galway based here, so Athenry, Gort and loughrea would be the order. Will probably watch and see how lighter lambs will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

160 for 40 ?

They will need to be very nice ...imo

orm0nd wrote: »
    160 for 40 ?

They will need to be very nice ...imo

They’ll be there or thereabouts for the early part of the week.
    Thursday is the Muslim festival..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Will there be a bit of a drop off in the price of hoggetts in marts that aren't fed enough for killing in next week when all Muslim festivals are over do people think?Would be ones to graze for the Summer.

Have to buy 10 for an elderly neighbour to replace ewes that he had losses with in Spring but he isn't willing to give the mad prices that were going of say 150 euro for horned hoggetts 50 kg weight which I saw online a few weeks back.

Would be alright to give that kind of money for Suffolk x or other lowland crosses but it's a bit much to be giving for horned ladies:)

41.5kgs - €147.50

41.5kgs - €147.50

That's about their value. Sent 26 to the factory last night.they were about 42.5 straight from the field so some gut fill. some on meal some not.

Fellow that took them up for me , said lairage was nearly full.

41.5kgs - €147.50
    It’s good money but not mad money.
    I sold 42.5 kg in Carnew last Thursday @ 159.
    Seen big long in the wool lads 48.5 at 169.

That's about their value. Sent 26 to the factory last night.they were about 42.5 straight from the field so some gut fill. some on meal some not.

Icm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

It’s good money but not mad money.
    I sold 42.5 kg in Carnew last Thursday @ 159.
    Seen big long in the wool lads 48.5 at 169.

Watching Fermoy this morning, they were making that , around 3.8 or 3.85/kg dropping back to 3.5/kg for 50kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

47kgs 163 mart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yea I find Tullow has more completion for fat lambs. Kilkenny has smaller numbers and limited buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Will there be a bit of a drop off in the price of hoggetts in marts that aren't fed enough for killing in next week when all Muslim festivals are over do people think?Would be ones to graze for the Summer.

Have to buy 10 for an elderly neighbour to replace ewes that he had losses with in Spring but he isn't willing to give the mad prices that were going of say 150 euro for horned hoggetts 50 kg weight which I saw online a few weeks back.

Would be alright to give that kind of money for Suffolk x or other lowland crosses but it's a bit much to be giving for horned ladies:)

They might drop back a bit but they'll hardly drop much more than €20 a head imo. It takes a fair horned hogget to make 50kg or more and tbh if I couldn't average €130-140 a head for fair type horned ewe hoggets in May I'd reckon you were at nothing. You'd be better off holding them for the summer and chancing the breeding sale's in the autumn if they were nice types imo. Granted you'd buy middling tail end type feeding hoggets for circa €100 atm but they'd hardly make desirable breeders in the backend.

kk.man wrote: »
    Yea I find Tullow has more completion for fat lambs. Kilkenny has smaller numbers and limited buyers.

Trade looked to be back 5 to 10 euro.

How’s you fair out? Did you give away any free meat?

How’s you fair out? Did you give away any free meat?

lambs nett. 159.55

ewes nett. 141.45

about 2.8 kgs free meat total on the lambs and 1 ewe was 2 kgs over

really delighted with the lambs by the hybrid ram , great K.O % and very constant across different ewe types.

most likely will have to give €50 for transport or return the favour at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any quotes for this week?

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Any quotes for this week?

We're going to night 8.15 to 21 kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

We're going to night 8.15 to 21 kgs.

Was that price hard got? That’s a rise again from last week isn’t it-8e last week?

40.5 kgs........€147

Would have paid slightly better price per KG if 43-44kgs......but what with the weather and the glut of lambs to come that are getting nearer for sale.....happy to take it.

Trying to put weight on lambs atm is not easy.......torrential rain, very cold at night and a shortage of grass do not help:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

40.5 kgs........€147

Would have paid slightly better price per KG if 43-44kgs......but what with the weather and the glut of lambs to come that are getting nearer for sale.....happy to take it.

Trying to put weight on lambs atm is not easy.......torrential rain, very cold at night and a shortage of grass do not help:mad:

They could do with a bit of sun on their backs now alright

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Was that price hard got? That’s a rise again from last week isn’t it-8e last week?

Went with an agent , gave him a miss for the last 2 lots as he tried to bullsh1t me a few weeks back.

My late mother always used to say " never put all your eggs into the one basket".

Advertisement