Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Willfarman wrote: »
    10 kilos more on them and they are worth 113. Just sayin.....

I've been 2 months watching these get from 35kg to 41 . Feeding them a bit at grass all that time ( up to .5kg now) .

These lambs I have this year don't seem to be doing any of they work themselves . Someone else can feed them in a shed for a month and spend €10on them and sell for an extra €20
    I have to look out for the ewes I have in lamb at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They are paying up to 22.5,at the moment..in a few weeks that going to be 23 and in a couple months time price could be 7.00 eur a kilo.

The store lamb finishers are a hardened bunch. Not many fools stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

€7 per kilo? why do u think this? i hope ure right, im aiming for the window of opportunity that is may and first 2 weeks of june 2015. im planning for this since last august, bought a HD ram and have a suuflok , plenty of grass held up . hopefully a mild spring and it might all work out!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    €7 per kilo? why do u think this? i hope ure right, im aiming for the window of opportunity that is may and first 2 weeks of june 2015. im planning for this since last august, bought a HD ram and have a suuflok , plenty of grass held up . hopefully a mild spring and it might all work out!

Look back to price last March and lambs are going to be a lot scarcer next spring I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Look back to price last March and lambs are going to be a lot scarcer next spring I hear.

I looked at the Bord bia data. Prices appear to have peaked at 5.50 a kilo for period in April may 13 and 14 in ireland. You may have read prices paid in France in error, where 7 a kilo was paid.
    I'd love to see that kind of money paid, but wouldn't base my whole farming year on it.
    No two years are ever the same in sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Tullow today, good stores 38-45 kgs € 47-51 over, fat lambs 45-50 kgs €55-60 over, about 80 lots in total, not a lot of finished lambs out.
    A nice pen of lleyn/texel ewe lambs 40kgs made € 110.

I looked at the Bord bia data. Prices appear to have peaked at 5.50 a kilo for period in April may 13 and 14 in ireland. You may have read prices paid in France in error, where 7 a kilo was paid.
    I'd love to see that kind of money paid, but wouldn't base my whole farming year on it.
    No two years are ever the same in sheep.

I know 7 euro wasn't paid but 6.50 was paid in February. I hung up hoggets that netted 145 squid at the time. Hoggets are going to be scarcer this spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Got my cheque today from the lams I sent off last week.
    Av 108euro - pleased enough with that.

They were on a bit of ration the past few weeks, but they mostly killed out well. More U grades than normal.

Got my cheque today from the lams I sent off last week.
    Av 108euro - pleased enough with that.

They were on a bit of ration the past few weeks, but they mostly killed out well. More U grades than normal.

They died v well. What breed sex and live weights john?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

do u get paid more for u grades? i dont so i just go for weight

• Advertisement

They died v well. What breed sex and live weights john?

Suffolk / Hampshire
    Mix of ewes an wethers
    Live weights from 47 to 54kg - to be honest, the factory got a good bit of free meat (over 22.5kg) from the heavier ones.

One lamb didnt get the bonus of 10c, he was R4, but another R4 got the bonus. Does anyone know when the bonus is and isn't applied?

No, well, I don't anyways. I only go for weight same as yerself.

I only said it as I would normally have R, with an occasional U. But there was a good few U in this bunch, which I assume was due to the extra bit of feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I don't anyway :(
    I don't see the point of it...as all.I've ever gotten is u3/r3....is there u1&2 and r1&2s ???
    What is the point in grading/trying to improve your lambs/buying better rams if you don't get paid for it???

As an aside...how do you find the Hampshires for lameness/dirty arses???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

sold 10 in Ennis 45kg hardgotten 99 Euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

farming93 wrote: »
    Ive a couple of lambs averaging 40kg, there is a couple 45kg anyone any idea what they are fetching in the marts right now or is the factory the best place for them?

It's a good idea. You can just sell them to factory .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone know what in lamb ewes are making these days ? Running with the ram type of ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Anyone know what in lamb ewes are making these days ? Running with the ram type of ones ?

I'm getting a few this week and have a choice of singles, twins or triplets . He didnt give me any price bar the twins will be a bit over €200 .
    My question is are ewes scanned to triplets worth any more than twins ?
    I think he wants to get rid of the triplets TBH . The wife and kids are mad to bottle feed if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Atone sell lambs this week in factory. What are people actually getting quoted

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm getting a few this week and have a choice of singles, twins or triplets . He didnt give me any price bar the twins will be a bit over €200 .
    I think he wants to get rid of the triplets TBH . The wife and kids are mad to bottle feed if needs be

The triplets are definitely worth no more than the doubles. But if you have time for them they can work out lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

sea12 wrote: »
    Atone sell lambs this week in factory. What are people actually getting quoted

e5 a kilo was quted Tuesday up to 22.5kg

• Advertisement

Keep away from the triplets. Never thrive on the bottle. If u want to make a few pound. Get the doubles if they are reasonably priced

Keep away from the triplets. Never thrive on the bottle. If u want to make a few pound. Get the doubles if they are reasonably priced

No harm in a few spares for fostering.

No harm in a few spares for fostering.

I might have taken the op up wrong. Thought he was just buying a few sheep for first time. If he is I Woulnt recommend the hassle of trying to foster.

I might have taken the op up wrong. Thought he was just buying a few sheep for first time. If he is I Woulnt recommend the hassle of trying to foster.

Yup 1st timer . I can chance a few singles and try fostering and if it doesn't work out the kids and wife would love bottling them .
    Thanks for the advice lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

My advice would be buy the triplets for the price of the twins and sell all the 3rd lambs as bottle lambs at a couple of weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

if you're buying scanned ewes in lamb with triplets make sure ya have a supply of colostrum(use cows colostrum before the bought stuff) to give all the lambs a fair chance. then make twins out of them soon(after 24h)

do you have a neighbour that you can call if ya run into a difficult lambing?

ganmo wrote: »
    if you're buying scanned ewes in lamb with triplets make sure ya have a supply of colostrum(use cows colostrum before the bought stuff) to give all the lambs a fair chance. then make twins out of them soon(after 24h)

do you have a neighbour that you can call if ya run into a difficult lambing?

I have cows beastings alright , is that definitely better than the stuff from the chemist ?
    No neighbours with sheep I'm afraid but I don't mind calling the vet if I'm stuck , he can show me the ropes the first time and educate me for again .
    Is it any harm to be nutting them before they lamb ? More to get them used to me and quiet than anything , yer man I'm getting them off said a ewe and lamb nut will do no harm but I dont want to make them to fat either

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

you really should feed them ewe &lamb or equivalent before they lamb.

Usually you start 4-6 weeks out. You need to watch the level of feed you give.. there are graphs online or in IFJ - start about .2kg/day and up it as you get closer anything up to .8kg or so, depending on littersize.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I have cows beastings alright , is that definitely better than the stuff from the chemist ?
    No neighbours with sheep I'm afraid but I don't mind calling the vet if I'm stuck , he can show me the ropes the first time and educate me for again .
    Is it any harm to be nutting them before they lamb ? More to get them used to me and quiet than anything , yer man I'm getting them off said a ewe and lamb nut will do no harm but I dont want to make them to fat either

Yes definitely especially if it's from your own cows.
    when you buy the nuts ask the miller for the feeding guidelines(it might be slightly different). make sure ya get the estimated lambing date from the seller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Trying to get my remaining wethers to 46kg. They were 43kg on 1st Nov and are only 44kg now. One has lost weight. Don't really want to feed them as I have enough grass. Will I be waiting until February at this rate?

Advertisement