Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sami23 wrote: »
    FFS

I'd hold tough for a few days. Last week the price was rising every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

I'd hold tough for a few days. Last week the price was rising every day.

Yeah I'm gonna hold off till Monday week in Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

What is the ideal weight for selling factory lambs?

DJ98 wrote: »
    What is the ideal weight for selling factory lambs?

Presume you mean to the factory rather than factory weight lambs in a mart.

I'd say depends if they were getting meal or not also.

Probably 45kgs be there or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

Jesus nothing wrong with 7.10 lads, ye have short memories. The first of mine are starting to come fit now. If ya can get a lamb into 140-150 without creep your laughing. I didn't think around lambing time they would be around the 7 mark approaching July.

• Advertisement

eire23 wrote: »
    Jesus nothing wrong with 7.10 lads, ye have short memories. The first of mine are starting to come fit now. If ya can get a lamb into 140-150 without creep your laughing. I didn't think around lambing time they would be around the 7 mark approaching July.

True but the factories, butchers, wholesalers need to be reminded that our costs have gone up substantially. 150 this week probably has the same buying power of 130 the same week last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

True but the factories, butchers, wholesalers need to be reminded that our costs have gone up substantially. 150 this week probably has the same buying power of 130 the same week last year.

So your saying that for anyone killing 500 lambs say for a example, that's its costing 10k extra this year and that they have nothing extra out of it compared to last year? Go away out of that, costs have increased but not that much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Presume you mean to the factory rather than factory weight lambs in a mart.

I'd say depends if they were getting meal or not also.

Probably 45kgs be there or thereabouts

Price is dropping so fast now and lambs only putting on maybe a kilo dw per week,
    30c drop in price is €6 one kilo gain is only €6.
    We're killing at 40kg

eire23 wrote: »
    So your saying that for anyone killing 500 lambs say for a example, that's its costing 10k extra this year and that they have nothing extra out of it compared to last year? Go away out of that, costs have increased but not that much!!

What I'm saying is that practically everything that you put your hand on from when you open your eyes in the morning til you turn off the light switch at night has gone up one thing with another around 15%. I don't think I'd be too far out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

What I'm saying is that practically everything that you put your hand on from when you open your eyes in the morning til you turn off the light switch at night has gone up one thing with another around 15%. I don't think I'd be too far out with that.

Do you mean in a farming context only in the last year.

If you mean absolutely everything including food for example i think inflation is under 2% and definitely nowhere near 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Price of alot of things has gone through roof. Try and ask a builder for a building quote atm !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Lamb finisher seems to have gone up by €1.50 a bag here. Thats almost 17%

Do you mean in a farming context only in the last year.

If you mean absolutely everything including food for example i think inflation is under 2% and definitely nowhere near 15%.

I don't know exactly how inflation is calculated but I know that, feed, fertiliser, diesel, fencing materials including gates, wire, posts and consumables, plastic, building materials, machinery and machinery parts are all gone up and gone up substantially more than 2% in many cases.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I don't know exactly how inflation is calculated but I know that, feed, fertiliser, diesel, fencing materials including gates, wire, posts and consumables, plastic, building materials, machinery and machinery parts are all gone up and gone up substantially more than 2% in many cases.

Fertiliser is up around 50-60 euro/ton on 2020. Feed up another 40-50 euro/ton. It takes the shine off lamb prices fairly lively.

But god forbid anyone would "talk down" the surge in global food prices by mentioning the increased costs and farmer's margins staying the same.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was watching a bit online earlier. Was in a bad reception area and it was hit and miss.

Stores and lighter factory lambs seems to be back about 7 euro on the week.

Anything heavier attracting butcher interest were a good trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

€7 all in. Larry Maith an fear.

They must of gave a bit of a pull again?
    135 looked to be top of the trade in mart for factory weight lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

See ram lambs are wanted for export by a wicklow based company. Over 40kg. Might underpin the price for a while longer.

Jjameson wrote: »
    They must of gave a bit of a pull again?
    135 looked to be top of the trade in mart for factory weight lambs.

Lambs back nearly 20 euro in mart today alright.
    45kgs only making 125 euro 😞
    Same lambs were making 145 just over a week ago.
    Wonder what price they'll be next week

farming93 wrote: »
    See ram lambs are wanted for export by a wicklow based company. Over 40kg. Might underpin the price for a while longer.

They got a bit of a burning a few years ago. I thought they wouldn’t bother again. Good news in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

6.5 tomorrow I heard

6.5 tomorrow I heard

There has to be resistance/bounce back. Nothing can drop that as quickly with only marginal increase in supply. Icm didn’t kill yesterday. Lambs are thriving no doubt but it’s the singles coming and weaning point is nigh upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

670 for tomorrow for kildare

So the dealers buying them for 125 will make at least 15 euro a head on them just to deliver to the factory

So the dealers buying them for 125 will make at least 15 euro a head on them just to deliver to the factory

they will if every lamb they buy kills out at 21kg,they get a free lorry from mart to factory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Feckers they are putting the knife in now after the high prices from last winter and spring. It would need to steady a bit now .

Tileman wrote: »
    Feckers they are putting the knife in now after the high prices from last winter and spring. It would need to steady a bit now .

think there is a eid festival around the 20th of July,they will pull like hell before that then lift the price before hand to try draw out a bulk of lamb..it seems too be the way they go most years recently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Got €140 before deductions today for 20.4 kgs today

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

Live sale in ballina yesterday was back 35 cent from last week 2.85 the only thing is this time last year it was 2.20 .Had lambs in it today 41kgs €118

• Advertisement

Any price for tomorrow or the coming week

Advertisement