Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

650 all in to 21kg kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

650 all in to 21kg kildare

44kgs got it hard to make €120 on saturday in Baltinglass, big difference to thursday when I got €140 in ICM for 42kg
    If that's the run of it, they'll be only quoting €6 or less tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    44kgs got it hard to make €120 on saturday in Baltinglass, big difference to thursday when I got €140 in ICM for 42kg
    If that's the run of it, they'll be only quoting €6 or less tomorrow

6.40 for tomorrow lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

factory agents getting value in the marts this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Brought a few to kilkenny this morning 46kg 127 ram lambs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

6.70 all in ICM this morning, but booked on Friday

6.25 upto 21kg ballyhauinis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sold a few stores in New Ross this morning.

36kg, mix of ewe lambs and wethers, good solid lambs with tight wool, out of Charollais ram, made €100.

Bit of drop from the last ones I sent but happy enough overall considering they weren't getting meal and there was no work with them (no dosing/minerals, footbath, maggots, etc.)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sold a few stores in New Ross this morning.

36kg, mix of ewe lambs and wethers, good solid lambs with tight wool, out of Charollais ram, made €100.

Bit of drop from the last ones I sent but happy enough overall considering they weren't getting meal and there was no work with them (no dosing/minerals, footbath, maggots, etc.)

How much of a drop back in price were they from last stores?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

How much of a drop back in price were they from last stores?

Sold 34kg about 5-6 weeks ago for €117

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sold 34kg about 5-6 weeks ago for €117

Would you not consider finishing those weight lambs. We are probably at the low ebb price wise. Are they 10-12 kgs LW off finishing weights.the ones sold 5-6 weeks ago yes was a good judgement call. Bit the 36 kg one for a 100 euro probably have a nice touch in them. 20 kgs even at 6/ kg leaves 120 euro. You be hoping that prices hold at 6/ kg minimum. Would those lambs do 2 kg/ week so 5-6 weeks to finish. Even let them run on grass only until early September no meal they should finish.

If they a averaged 20 kgs DW at6.3- 6.5 / kg they be 125 euro plus

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Lambs definitely at a bit of a low ebb at moment....traditionally store lamb and fat lamb prices dipped from the beginning of July on.....with Cattle a very good trade,with the rain that has already fallen over the last few days and is forecast for the next few there should be a fresh burst of grass growth,especially on the many farms they got forage saved in the good spell last week.
    I’ve a feeling store lamb prices will strengthen in around a fortnights time when men with aftergrass have to buy something to eat it.....when you see bucket fed sucks making good money,lambs are a better bet to eat that kind of grass and offer a quicker return on money imo.
    Based on avg land in Leitrim here but would I be right in thinking that a lot of men in midlands and South East will have lots of aftergrass coming on track soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i dont know what im going to do for store lambs i usually buy around 200, bought 223 last late july and august but the prices im hearing are crazy, i killed the first load of heifers this morning so probably buy a few cattle then hopefully prices will have cooled for the store lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i dont know what im going to do for store lambs i usually buy around 200, bought 223 last late july and august but the prices im hearing are crazy, i killed the first load of heifers this morning so probably buy a few cattle then hopefully prices will have cooled for the store lamb.
    There won't be a year like last year for a while so don't base this year on last.

Cattle prices are crazy as well. I see little value in cattle out there at present. 330kg+ Friesian's making 2/kg. Store lambs area risk however what are crazy prices compared to twist they left last year.

I perfer to be gambling on they type of lambs Siamsa is selling than anything else at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

This is the reason that farmers who are changeing from lambing ewes to buying stores should think again, I like the steadiness of breeding your own stock and not having to compete with headers in the sales ring.
    It's not that long ago that Green Farmer was experiencing poor prices right through the spring and that'll come again

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Sold 45kg ram lambs at €128 in Carnaross mart today.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

This is the reason that farmers who are changeing from lambing ewes to buying stores should think again, I like the steadiness of breeding your own stock and not having to compete with headers in the sales ring.
    It's not that long ago that Green Farmer was experiencing poor prices right through the spring and that'll come again

Your dead right wrangler. They’ll be more lads looking to buy store lambs this year than there will be of lots of store lambs ., gona be a good year for selling them !!

IME stores can be a fairly mixed bag as regards untreated lamness/footrot etc,dosing,orf,lice/mange/scab.needing to train to eat meal...and can easily add up as much work as lambing down ewes due to the larger numbers being handled

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

Sent the first of the lambs there this morning, would have been born paddy's day on amd off grass. Had 47 to go but 15 were ewe lambs so pulled them off. Right or wrong, what would ye think? To me their the best performing lambs so have good genetics but what's others people take on it. Kill them amd keep later ones or keep them?

• Advertisement

eire23 wrote: »
    Sent the first of the lambs there this morning, would have been born paddy's day on amd off grass. Had 47 to go but 15 were ewe lambs so pulled them off. Right or wrong, what would ye think? To me their the best performing lambs so have good genetics but what's others people take on it. Kill them amd keep later ones or keep them?

Keep your best genetics. As well prices are hitting lowest ebb, later/poorer ewe lambs may make as much or more than the ones you choose. One cavet is that ewe lambs that are singles should not be kept

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Keep your best genetics. As well prices are hitting lowest ebb, later/poorer ewe lambs may make as much or more than the ones you choose. One cavet is that ewe lambs that are singles should not be kept

Unless you are getting too many triplets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    [/B]

nonsense

Id be inclined to agree, if I see a ewe lamb I like I keep her, waterever she was. Always scan about 1.9-2.1. We're sort of going off topic a bit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Did u get into sheep in last year bass or did u always have them?

Tileman wrote: »
    Did u get into sheep in last year bass or did u always have them?

It's years since I had a few. But it was always only a small few

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

clonagh wrote: »
    Sold 45kg ram lambs at €128 in Carnaross mart today.

Were you happy with that

Id be inclined to agree, if I see a ewe lamb I like I keep her, waterever she was. Always scan about 1.9-2.1. We're sort of going off topic a bit here.

I suppose I should qualify if the mother had a history of bearing twins then yes. If she had a history of singles I would not be inclined to keep her. The other factor singles will have a natural higher weight gain because of being a single it may not mean they have better genetics than a lighter twin lamb

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ill prob buy 200 again out of kenmare and hope for the best , i can always run them extensive more than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Keep them for sure

Advertisement