Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

arctictree wrote: »
    Trying to get my remaining wethers to 46kg. They were 43kg on 1st Nov and are only 44kg now. One has lost weight. Don't really want to feed them as I have enough grass. Will I be waiting until February at this rate?
    in all honesty will the feeding quality not be gone to crap by now and just enough to effectively sustain them in energy requirements to get them through the day/keep warm??
    IMO in shorter days/colder/wetter weather ive always struggled to finish lambs off grass alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

in all honesty will the feeding quality not be gone to crap by now and just enough to effectively sustain them in energy requirements to get them through the day/keep warm??
    IMO in shorter days/colder/wetter weather ive always struggled to finish lambs off grass alone

I'd agree with this.
    I have been feeding my late lambs about 0.2kg / day, maybe a bit with it. Started sometime in Oct.
    They were doing about 1kg/week on that (plus grass)

Try to time it so you don't run out of grass, cos then it'll get expensive to finish em...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

The initial novelty of feeding them ration soon wears off. Gets very expensive very fast. I've eased back on now much ration their getting and moved mine to ad lib silage plus a small bit of ration. Might take abit longer but will keep the costs more under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Lambs outdoors have hopped out of with thrive the last week since it dried up, I wouldn't be a bit afraid of meal feeding. Lambs eating a kg a day. RTion at 270 a tonne. .27 cent a day. 10 days feeding €2.70. Minimum gain of a kilo carcass gain in that time. Worth €5.00.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Lambs outdoors have hopped out of with thrive the last week since it dried up, I wouldn't be a bit afraid of meal feeding. Lambs eating a kg a day. RTion at 270 a tonne. .27 cent a day. 10 days feeding €2.70. Minimum gain of a kilo carcass gain in that time. Worth €5.00.

What's an e3 grade??

• Advertisement

What's an e3 grade??

BE the top grade possible.

Just back from roscrea mart. sold a batch of 3 year old middling sheep. Not put with a ram this year. Got €90 each, which was cull /breeding price. Lambs made around €110 for 50kg. Saw a really nice batch of ewe lambs with pointy faces sell for €113 at 58kg. A lot of 37-40 kg lambs there made about €80+ .
    Good quality lowland ewes scanned on lamb made €125. No buyers other then dealers for breeding sheep.

Just back from roscrea mart. sold a batch of 3 year old middling sheep. Not put with a ram this year. Got €90 each, which was cull /breeding price. Lambs made around €110 for 50kg. Saw a really nice batch of ewe lambs with pointy faces sell for €113 at 58kg. A lot of 37-40 kg lambs there made about €80+ .
    Good quality lowland ewes scanned on lamb made €125. No buyers other then dealers for breeding sheep.

Breeding ewes are some value at that price given cull price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

A pen of 12 ram lambs 48kg Tuam Mart €108

Breeding ewes are some value at that price given cull price

They were good value alright. I don't think even one farmer was bidding. was tempted but it's hard when you don't really know why ewes are being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

€5.05/kg to 23kg in Camolin this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

sako 85 wrote: »
    €5.05/kg to 23kg in Camolin this morning

Agent quoted me 5.10(inc. QA) on Monday for the same factory

From what I saw at the mart recently a lot of lambs on sale at around the 38-42 kg mark , but they seemed very scarce at the 48-50kg + range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Agent quoted me 5.10(inc. QA) on Monday for the same factory

I was quoted 5.10 include QA up to 23 aswell for Kildare

Similar quotes for today ie 5.10 inc. QA.

Roscrea mart today . 50kg+ lambs making 115-120. Store lambs 30kg lowland x made €75. 3rd crop Suffolk x ewes scanned in lamb at about 1.6 made €185.
    I kept my hands in my pockets.:)

sea12 wrote: »
    I was quoted 5.10 include QA up to 23 aswell for Kildare

My lambs averaged €109 a piece. Only 12 and it was the last of them. Included a couple of lighter ones but graded well. Happy enough all cleared before Xmas for the first time in a few years.

Overall it was a great year. Hopefully next year will be as good.

Last of the lambs went last week, got the cheque yesterday. There was one runty lad that came into 93euro, the rest did well enough.

Glad to be rid of em then. All done now til next year's crop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stonemad222

any word what factorys are given for lambs over the christmas

I got 5.00 + .10 QA last week anyways.

• Advertisement

5.20 this week as far as I know is the going rate.Can't see anything them rising any major amount between now and Feb.

5.20 this week as far as I know is the going rate.Can't see anything them rising any major amount between now and Feb.

They often give a but extra for the week between Xmas and new year to secure numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

sea12 wrote: »
    They often give a but extra for the week between Xmas and new year to secure numbers.

5.20 for next week, best I could get anyway

5.10 'twas all I could get this week, would have held out but fup it if ya get one dead takes a lot of getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy5678

what are the prices like now?

5.25 going for guys with big numbers I hear

tommy5678 wrote: »
    what are the prices like now?

5.25 freely available earlier this week.Some places trying to buy at 5.20 and giving concessions on weight ie paying to 24kgs.

Have the last of my lambs to go next week.Mixture of a few good lambs and a few sh**e ones.These are getting meal for the last 8 to 10 weeks and at this stage its a case of killing them and taking whatever they make.

Decent ones should kill 22 plus whilst a few would surprise me if they killed anything over 16 kgs.These are the ones with chronic foot problems or ones that got major setbacks throughout the year.Keeping them alive was enough so anything they leave will be a bonus.#

Got 5.25 earlier this month and will ring around this evening but from talking to a few who sent lambs this week 5.20 to 5.25 seems to be the general run in the factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

5.25 to 23 for Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

109 for 6x46kg wethers in Baltinglass this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

We sent lambs down last week got €5.25 but we had the numbers

Advertisement