Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Yeah - would defo agree with this.

Also - if your fields are lacking, they'll grow grass ok in the summer, but come autumn they'll shut down.
    Seen it in a few here, vs ones that got fertiliser.
    i know am low in p, some got 0-16-0 in the autumn, some this spring. The ones that got the P in autumn had twice as much grass this spring as the others almost, an they were reseeded the same time... I was surprised at the difference between em.

Do most places stock that 0-16-0 or is it a special order John ? I wouldn't mind spreading a few bags on a field to see the results next year . Think would it be ok to spread gramlime at the same time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

moy83 wrote: »
    Do most places stock that 0-16-0 or is it a special order John ? I wouldn't mind spreading a few bags on a field to see the results next year . Think would it be ok to spread gramlime at the same time ?

Hi Moy,

I dunno would places have much of it. They get it down here for lads growing maize, as maize needs P apparently? :confused:
    But I'd say anywhere could order it in I'd imagine...
    Its dear tho, dunno what price I paid now, but I rememeber thinking "fcuk" at the time...

I think Yara have a 18-14-14 product, which they don't stock in the local co-op. Anyone ever use it? Would be good if you could get it.

EDIT : Ye have slurry as well dont ye Moy? You'd imagine places that get slurry wouldn't be too bad for P. I think every 1000 gallons slurry has 7 P is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Hi Moy,

I dunno would places have much of it. They get it down here for lads growing maize, as maize needs P apparently? :confused:
    But I'd say anywhere could order it in I'd imagine...
    Its dear tho, dunno what price I paid now, but I rememeber thinking "fcuk" at the time...

I think Yara have a 18-14-14 product, which they don't stock in the local co-op. Anyone ever use it? Would be good if you could get it.

EDIT : Ye have slurry as well dont ye Moy? You'd imagine places that get slurry wouldn't be too bad for P. I think every 1000 gallons slurry has 7 P is it?

We have slurry alright but these gardens wouldn't get it . But I could throw out a few loads in some of them .
    I must ask the lad we buy it off to get a tonne in just to see .

moy83 wrote: »
    We have slurry alright but these gardens wouldn't get it . But I could throw out a few loads in some of them .
    I must ask the lad we buy it off to get a tonne in just to see .

Hi Moy,

Not telling you yer business now, but would you be better off getting a few soil samples done?
    Might be easier to get them done for about 15euro each, rather than pay 400 odd euro for a ton of something you might not need?

Did you get the Galways?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Sold 20 Charolais lambs today in kk mart 44 kg got €128

• Advertisement

Good price, they must have been nice lambs Eddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

That's the stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

killed 51 tuesday morn

av 19.4kgs made a little along with €118

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Heard a disconcerting story about a factories antics during week,several men had well bred Suffolk lambs that had Krunch eaten all Spring killed thru producer group...lot of the lambs came back grading O !!!!...men kicked up and after hassle got extra cheque in post...that's some carry on,lambs would have been U's.

Heard a disconcerting story about a factories antics during week,several men had well bred Suffolk lambs that had Krunch eaten all Spring killed thru producer group...lot of the lambs came back grading O !!!!...men kicked up and after hassle got extra cheque in post...that's some carry on,lambs would have been U's.

Where were they killed? That crap would madden me now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Was it in the south east

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

rangler1 wrote: »
    Was it in the south east
    For possible legal reasons won't say much;)....but a lad called Anthony Rainbow used to play for same county....imagine tho if 300 farmers got lambs graded O on any given day and only 20 complained...that's a lot of free money for the factory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

For possible legal reasons won't say much;)....but a lad called Anthony Rainbow used to play for same county....imagine tho if 300 farmers got lambs graded O on any given day and only 20 complained...that's a lot of free money for the factory!

I sent a load to camolin last week and the tag nos come back on the docket, KO ranged from 38% to 64%, But they had a disclaimer on the end of the docket about not being responsible for mistakes in the tag nos.
    To be fair the grades, weights and everything were right for my lambs, but if they're not accurate with the tag nos, it leaves you wondering

rangler1 wrote: »
    I sent a load last week and the tag nos come back on the docket, KO ranged from 38% to 64%, But they had a disclaimer on the end of the docket about not being responsible for mistakes in the tag nos.
    To be fair the grades, weights and everything were right for my lambs, but if they're not accurate with the tag nos, it leaves you wondering

killed some there also,

killed some light enough lambs (anticipating a price drop in june :( ) & was very pleased with their ko,.... but against that a couple lambs I thought were well over weight had a disappointing ko

had a few ewes also , no tags no. here and they were all about 38 kgs d/w looking at them live would have thought there was a much bigger difference

had no help due to silage making, so gave them to a haulier, next lot I intend drawing my self and following them down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I've never sold into a factory. Mainly because I'm a long distance from any of them. Always go through the mart. Only advantage is your getting paid while their still alive, and hoping the butchers might provide some competition to the factory men. Their are times though I think I'd get better prices from the factory. Especially when it comes to cull ewes .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Good trade in Tullow last week but lambs had to be fat, got €117 for 40 kgs , saw 35 kg make €99,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

As a matter of interest how are prices compared to first week of June last year for people who would be killing this time every year?

As a matter of interest how are prices compared to first week of June last year for people who would be killing this time every year?

Last year was an unmitigated disaster. We had schmallenberg then the worst spring in 100 years. And an overhang of hoggets. This year is better thank God. Price would be up 10€ a head. Be no one getting rich but it is better than the nightmare that was the spring of 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Last year was an unmitigated disaster. We had schmallenberg then the worst spring in 100 years. And an overhang of hoggets. This year is better thank God. Price would be up 10€ a head. Be no one getting rich but it is better than the nightmare that was the spring of 2013.

Quotes dropped .40 cents according to paper today. Anybody selling this week. How much have they actually dropped by.

jt65 wrote: »
    killed 51 tuesday morn

Killed the few early lambs I had left last Thursday, got cheque today

av 19.6kg, €113.5

A fiver less than you JT :(

Maybe there was a difference in base price between the factories we went to to.
    But I think it shows that bigger numbers will always win (as I assume you were able to negotiate a better price, rather than just send em in blind so to speak)

Still, all early lambs gone now... and happy enough to be rid of em to be honest...

Edit : Should also point out that I was 2 days later than you JT, so maybe the price dropped as the week went on?

• Advertisement

You in Bord bia scheme John, ? factories pay abit more apparently, for quality assured lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Any idea where can you buy a whole lamb butchered.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

Any idea where can you buy a whole lamb butchered.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

your location would help

we supply a few deep freeze orders ....usually in the autumn (when lamb prices are low). we are Bord bia Quality Assured

mid west region

most family butchers will supply a full lamb , but would be more expensive than buying direct from the farm

You in Bord bia scheme John, ? factories pay abit more apparently, for quality assured lamb.

Yeah, am Bord Bia approved. That's a extra 10c per kilo.

If you were going to supply the factory, would defo recommend it. Wasn't that difficult, as long as all your stuff is in order I guess... ;)

I'm approved as well. Mainly because it was a condition of the discussion group. Keeps paper work in order as well on the off chance the department Ever decided to turn up on an inspection. I think being approved also sends out a statement of the approach we take to sheep farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

jt65 wrote: »
    killed 51 tuesday morn

Random Browser(er) here,

51 lambs for a total of €118??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Random Browser(er) here,

51 lambs for a total of €118??

that's the price EACH !:D

Plus the 19.4 kilos is the weight of the lamb carcase after the skin, head, feet, internal organs and so on are removed. Usually that little lot weights nearly the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    that's the price EACH !:D
    Ah grand. That's what I thought till username johns post earlier.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Six lambs tonight, 40kg live weight, €107.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Sold lambs today in kk mart had 43 got €115 was goin to bring them home felt I gave them away , brought in 10 49 kg lambs for neighbour he got €131

Advertisement