Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anybody sell hoggets in mart lately and know what prices are like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

was talking to a friend that sold 20 in Roscrea last Wed. 58 kgs €140

he said back approx 5 to 7 € from 2 weeks previous

I'd often go to roscrea myself. Now that lambing is nearly finished , better start cleaning out some hoggets knocking around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Anybody sell hoggets in mart lately and know what prices are like ?

Sold a few 50-60Kg - €135-140
    Fat ewes €127

Saw some spring lambs make from €120 (38kg) to €150 (43kg)

Sold a batch of 52kg ram hoggets in roscrea today. Struggled to make €120. The factories must be playing games again. Saw people bringing spring lamb home unsold. €125 for 44kg spring lamb was what they were making. Might see can I start selling directly to factory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Sold a batch of 52kg ram hoggets in roscrea today. Struggled to make €120. The factories must be playing games again. Saw people bringing spring lamb home unsold. €125 for 44kg spring lamb was what they were making. Might see can I start selling directly to factory.

Hi Green,
    As spring lamb is out now - I would be afraid that hogget prices are only going to go down from now on?
    I could be wrong, but I would expect the factories to start dropping the price for hoggets..

I don't know john , the hoggets should be safe for a month or so until that happens. Thing is they were skinning the price paid for spring lambs also. Was back about €25 a head from what Farrell above witnessed in recent marts. From lamb/ hogget numbers on offer today, sheep appear to be scarce out there.

spring lamb are thriving very well & I can see a big kill coming on stream

just what the factories want

keep lambs moved as they come fit

I don't know john , the hoggets should be safe for a month or so until that happens. Thing is they were skinning the price paid for spring lambs also. Was back about €25 a head from what Farrell above witnessed in recent marts. From lamb/ hogget numbers on offer today, sheep appear to be scarce out there.

I dunno Green - another month would be pushing it...
    Like, its the middle of April now. I think hogget prices will be well down by mid-May.

But - I could be very wrong, I have been before and will be again ;)

But - I could be very wrong, I have been before and will be again ;)

I'm not much better. Flipping a coin, would probably be more accurate. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Ffers were really acting the cNt in Enniscorthy mart today. Your lot my lot. Fat ewes bringing 130 and savage qaulity thumpers of lambs 46kg only being bid upto 120. Would make your blood boil watching these dealer parasites trying to blackguard guys that endured the hardship that goes with lambing ewes in the short dark days of January and looked after them so well to have supply premium qaulity out of season product.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I rang around and the prices achieved today appear to be back €20 to €25 a head from what was being achieved in marts two days ago, for both hoggets and lambs.
    Could they be doing this to try and panic guys to flush out lambs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Think it's going to be like this for the year. There is allot of extra lambs in the system this year. Factories will use it to their advantage. Usual story. Supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Willfarman wrote: »
    Ffers were really acting the cNt in Enniscorthy mart today. Your lot my lot. Fat ewes bringing 130 and savage qaulity thumpers of lambs 46kg only being bid upto 120. Would make your blood boil watching these dealer parasites trying to blackguard guys that endured the hardship that goes with lambing ewes in the short dark days of January and looked after them so well to have supply premium qaulity out of season

was the manager around will ?
    note to say I never stood in that mart. Prob 150 miles away

Ffers were really acting the cNt in Enniscorthy mart today. Your lot my lot. Fat ewes bringing 130 and savage qaulity thumpers of lambs 46kg only being bid upto 120. Would make your blood boil watching these dealer parasites trying to blackguard guys that endured the hardship that goes with lambing ewes in the short dark days of January and looked after them so well to have supply premium qaulity out of season

was the manager around will ?
    note to say I never stood in that mart. Prob 150 miles away

He was about. And I think there's not a lot he can do. If these dealers go there's no buyers left and no mart at all. The problem is there is no factory beyond one 10 miles away for another 150 miles. And only a couple of butcher abbatoirs.

orm0nd wrote: »
    spring lamb are thriving very well & I can see a big kill coming on stream

just what the factories want

keep lambs moved as they come fit
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. I rang around and the prices achieved today appear to be back €20 to €25 a head from what was being achieved in marts two days ago, for both hoggets and lambs.
    Could they be doing this to try and panic guys to flush out lambs ?
    No
    unfortunately my prediction came true

was on the agent earlier and factories are booked out,

we hope to get them killed Monday but no quotes until late tp morrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Looking at the report from Markethill Mart on Wednesday spring lambs were a strong trade in NI , but the factories will always try pull prices after Easter, talking to a vet recently and he said sheep numbers will be down this year due to numbers of ewes put through factories in the last year

Looking at the report from Markethill Mart on Wednesday spring lambs were a strong trade in NI , but the factories will always try pull prices after Easter, talking to a vet recently and he said sheep numbers will be down this year due to numbers of ewes put through factories in the last year

Takes very little to tilt the balance in favour of the processers unfortunately. They closed the thousands of small butchers abbatoirs and there is no live export so the farmer is a lamb to the slaughter really.

Takes very little to tilt the balance in favour of the processers unfortunately. They closed the thousands of small butchers abbatoirs and there is no live export so the farmer is a lamb to the slaughter really.

if we were left to deal with the factories alone we would manage them, however when they can source undervalue lambs in the marts.. like they did at some venues this week , that's what puts the ball back in their (the processors ) court

I think that's a very valid point. I just don't see big numbers of sheep in the mart. The mart I was at on Wednesday was finished at least 1 hour earlier then normal. It just looked half empty of sheep.it's not the first time I've noticed it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Jeepers Tabby, I wouldn't consider NI prices strong at all and they are back at least £25 head on last year. Also this week due to the labelling issues that were raised last year in both beef and lamb trade between NI/ROI, Southern processors are now very reluctant to take in NI lamb as they're having difficulties finding a market for it. This coupled with the strong £ leaves NI lamb in a very weak position for the early part of the year and will leave the number of lambs leaving NI for Southern factories at least half of what it has been previously. This obviously leaves you guys in a stronger position to play hardball with the factories/agents but whether they pay up is a different story. It leaves us looking for a new market now as over half of all our lamb here in NI was traditionally exported south for cutting and sending onto France.
    I know I'm glad I quit the spring lamb production last year and this year everything will be taken through as stores, no meal feeding this year.

€6.20 to €6.30 paying to 20 kgs , spring lamb monday

they're still ok as a lot less creep was needed this year , question now is will they continue to fall or bottom out

my agent reckons this glut might be over in a week or 2 ,

they're still ok as a lot less creep was needed this year , question now is will they continue to fall or bottom out

my agent reckons this glut might be over in a week or 2 ,

Fingers crossed, I'm going to hold faith. the other thing Antrim mentioned recently is the labelling thing changed, not as many lambs coming down from up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Fingers crossed, I'm going to hold faith. the other thing Antrim mentioned recently is the labelling thing changed, not as many lambs coming down from up north.

It looks like we'll be electronically tagging lambs soon, I'm told England have started doing it and subsidising it, so we'll have to do the same......cost a euro a lamb more to tag them :mad:

rangler1 wrote: »
    It looks like we'll be electronically tagging lambs soon, I'm told England have started doing it and subsidising it, so we'll have to do the same......cost a euro a lamb more to tag them :mad:

FFS,

I presume just 1 tag (EID) will do

FFS,

I presume just 1 tag (EID) will do

nothing would surprise me.......is English farmers Electronically tagging lambs????

Yea, just looked it up, They're using EID.....one tag.

Will it eliminate the need for reading tag numbers when you kill purchased store lambs?

• Advertisement

Will it eliminate the need for reading tag numbers when you kill purchased store lambs?

At least you'll be able to read them with a reader.
    There's something going on now, we had two govt departments yesterday phoned us to ask us how they would sell it to the farmers........both of them aware that we tag at birth and use the records extensively in our management.
    If you could get the reader with a 40% grant through TAMS it wouldn't be that dear....don't know why farmers don't put EID in cattle....scraping tags in housed cattle to read them used to drive me mad

Advertisement