Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

orm0nd wrote: »
    '

depends on location

some guys drop the lambs off to the haulier late the night before or early morning , more arrange a couple meeting up at one farm or even at a point on route ,

myself & 2 other neighbours move on the same day one guy has small numbers and a tight yard so he drops them here ,

the factory pays us , in about 3 days, they deduct the haulage fee and pay the agent

I got caught for payment for 30 heavy lambs about 20 years ago , the banks pulled the plug on a private abattoir, wouldn't mind but I had the cheque over a week & if I had lodged when I got it, it was good

finished up getting about 30% of the value about 12 months later , only time I ever had problems

Was that an abbatoir in the south, a week was a very short time to have a cheque if it was, some of the suppliers had cheques 3 and 4 mths, you'd wonder about farmers sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

rangler1 wrote: »
    Was that an abbatoir in the south, a week was a very short time to have a cheque if it was, some of the suppliers had cheques 3 and 4 mths, you'd wonder about farmers sometimes

yes in the south east, used to buy a lot of sheep ,

2 of us got stung here

a member of your producer group got caught for a biggish number

sea12 wrote: »
    That's for hoggets not lambs. Lambs are only upto 21.5

what's the definition of hogget for factory, ?

all milk teeth in place or no permanent teeth up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

No permanent teeth erupting ( I think) . The vet department can downgrade it to cull meat price. The icsa were flagging it the other day on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Anyone hear quotes for the coming week- lambs & hoggets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

520 & 580

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

No permanent teeth erupting ( I think) . The vet department can downgrade it to cull meat price. The icsa were flagging it the other day on their website

cull price going in lamb comming out:mad:

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    cull price going in lamb comming out:mad:

The department vet makes them split the carcass in half so it cannt be sold as full carcass, the way I think lamb is normally sold in trade. Now what happens to it after that is any ones guess :rolleyes:

The department vet makes them split the carcass in half so it cannt be sold as full carcass, the way I think lamb is normally sold in trade. Now what happens to it after that is any ones guess :rolleyes:

ah thats a horse of a different colour:D

How much different a lamb of 12months tastes compared to a lamb of 11 months is anyone's guess. :confused: its not an accurate science and there's variances from hogget to hogget as to exact time of eruption.

• Advertisement

flavor and texture wise it stops being lamb long before 12mths.In reality the majority of sheep meat is mutton,lovely tasty juicy young mutton don't tell bord bia:)

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    flavor and texture wise it stops being lamb long before 12mths.In reality the majority of sheep meat is mutton,lovely tasty juicy young mutton don't tell bord bia:)

+1
    A lot of chefs say that the season for irish lamb is up till September, after that they get complaints

I actually prefer the taste of a hogget. Did one for family freezer last year. Over 35 kg k.o . was exceptionally tasty. Lovely flavour and plenty of meat. I think it's really underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sold 7 feb lambs today, Suffolk x 42kgs - €108 euro. Texel and ch lambs seemed to making €5/€6 Euro a head more. First sheep mart this year so not sure if a decent price or not.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Sold 7 feb lambs today, Suffolk x 42kgs - €108 euro. Texel and ch lambs seemed to making €5/€6 Euro a head more. First sheep mart this year so not sure if a decent price or not.

Athenry ?

orm0nd wrote: »
    Athenry ?

Yep, suits with work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Did you put much meal into em?

arctictree wrote: »
    Did you put much meal into em?

€6 euro a head but have them almost a month earlier than last year. Have about 25+ around the 35kg's which I'm hoping will be ready in 2/3 weeks again (weather atm not helping), which would be almost 5 weeks on average better than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Quotes we're getting dropped a lot from last week to this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Shower of cnuts. Where's the the justification for a cut.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I read supplies are tight and demand is lifting ?

Journal is reporting that they are orchestrating a pull.

I'm sure I read supplies are tight and demand is lifting ?

You wouldn't think it by the way the factories are behaving

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/factories-try-to-pull-lamb-prices-181700/

:eek: A for flip sake . So much for building trust in a stable environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

:eek: A for flip sake . So much for building trust in a stable environment.

I agree green farmer. Fairly dis hear ting to be cutting so much already.

Seems the they orchestrated a very successful pull anyway the bxtards. 5.30 all I could get for 25 lambs yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sold six at 44 kg tonight. €106. That's about €13 less than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Sold six at 44 kg tonight. €106. That's about €13 less than last year.
    Not good.
    Sadly factories have being pulling in a while.
    Much stock about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Only about 38 lots. Mixture of fat ewes, few hoggets, ewes and lambs and lambs for killing. Hoggets making less than they were going for in November.

• Advertisement

I sent a load last Thursday. meal fed, weighed 39kg full...€112 before deductions,
    Our haulier's supposed to be upping the price as well

Advertisement