Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Ballybofey/stranorlar mart in donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Sold 45kg lambs for €100 - Athenry, have the last few going tomorrow to the factory. 43kg quote is €4.80. Don't have a lot of them but glad to see the back of them.;)

Mate of mine was there with a trailer of lambs Monday aswell and brought them home , they were just making the €100 but he wanted another €2 to cover the commission and couldn't get it . Bringing them to the factory instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Got some cull ewes killed this week at €2.90 a kilo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Bullocks wrote: »
    Mate of mine was there with a trailer of lambs Monday aswell and brought them home , they were just making the €100 but he wanted another €2 to cover the commission and couldn't get it . Bringing them to the factory instead

I assume if you don't sell - you don't have to pay commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

after paying for fuel he won't gain a lot, actually might be lucky to break even
    I assume if you don't sell - you don't have to pay commission?

No sale no fees

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    after paying for fuel he won't gain a lot, actually might be lucky to break even

No sale no fees

He is only about 10 mins from the mart so dsl mightn't kill him too much . But he is so stubborn when it comes to dealing that he would fall out over €2 on the full trailer if he didn't get it . And fair play to him for not being a soft seller , if some of us were as principled when it comes to selling we would fare out better in the lean times playing hard ball with factories and marts . I know it's not always possible when money is needed for bills though

He is only about 10 mins from the mart so dsl mightn't kill him too much . But he is so stubborn when it comes to dealing that he would fall out over €2 on the full trailer if he didn't get it . And fair play to him for not being a soft seller , if some of us were as principled when it comes to selling we would fare out better in the lean times playing hard ball with factories and marts . I know it's not always possible when money is needed for bills though

"you got know when to hold & know when to fold"

"you got know when to hold & know when to fold"

Funny enough , I found one of his CDs in the wife's car during the week and have been giving that song welly since ! He's not a bad lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

The problem for nearly all of us is that we are price takers, we need to get more organised and militant to boot.:D
    Wonder how long before the competition authority would be on us then.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    The problem for nearly all of us is that we are price takers, we need to get more organised and militant to boot.:D
    Wonder how long before the competition authority would be on us then.

What could they do , if you dont sell you don't. They don't do much to the factories or supermarket's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What could they do , if you dont sell you don't. They don't do much to the factories or supermarket's

I'd put money they'd find some way, we have small numbers and they have us over a barrel, realistically is there a market for Irish lamb given all the issues in some of our markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

anyone get a price for this week yet?

razor8 wrote: »

http://icsaireland.ie/livestock-prices/sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

razor8 wrote: »

450+ bonus

Kildare chiling

450+ bonus

Kildare chiling

paying to 21 ?

96-97 € max so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

paying to 21 ?

96-97 € max so

Yea think its to 21...not looking good for the near future either..pens full of lambs in there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

paying to 21 ?

96-97 € max so

ICM were paying 21.5 for the last while.Think they were on 4.60 for today.

ICM were paying 21.5 for the last while.Think they were on 4.60 for today.

still wouldn't get to €100, read a couple of mart reports on line

36 to 38 kg ( I presume farmers buying) nearly making as much as factory weights

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Country lad

Just wondering what are store lambs making in the marts around 35kilos in weight

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I was at Carnaross Mart today and here is some prices.

44kgs    91 euro
    48kgs   94 euro
    50kgs   100 euro ewe lambs
    56kgs     98 euro
    51kgs   100 euro ewe lambs belclare
    45kgs      97 euro ewe lambs belclare
    46kgs 85 euro

A lot of lambs 50kgs and over.

I don't know why some farmers keep lambs over 50kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I was at Carnaross Mart today and here is some prices.

44kgs    91 euro
    48kgs   94 euro
    50kgs   100 euro ewe lambs
    56kgs     98 euro
    51kgs   100 euro ewe lambs belclare
    45kgs      97 euro ewe lambs belclare
    46kgs 85 euro

A lot of lambs 50kgs and over.

I don't know why some farmers keep lambs over 50kgs.

Those ones at 56kg are a bit too heavy all right, they would have been better gone a few weeks ago, and prob would have gotten more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

The price drop is disgraceful. All that work and lambs barely able to get 100 euro. 17 euro in 2 weeks. Completely wiped away your profit.

I thought part of the reason is over supply as allot of cattlemen got burned last year and got back into sheep, these things are cyclical I know but it's a killer to see top quality lambs going for 90 euro.

Wonder where it's going to bottom out though?

sea12 wrote: »
    The price drop is disgraceful.

I thought part of the reason is over supply as allot of cattlemen got burned last year and got back into sheep, these things are cyclical I know but it's a killer to see top quality lambs going for 90 euro.

Wonder where it's going to bottom out though?

I'm not sure the cattle lads who got in last year, are going to stay in now the cattle trade has rebounded and the lambs prices have headed south. I read the demand on the continent is down and lamb supplies have shot up. The pendulum can swing the other just as fast with sheep thought. Hopefully this is the bottom .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'm not sure the cattle lads who got in last year, are going to stay in now the cattle trade has rebounded and the lambs prices have headed south. I read the demand on the continent is down and lamb supplies have shot up. The pendulum can swing the other just as fast with sheep thought. Hopefully this is the bottom .

Was on bb website there, we've killed 1.8% more lamb than last year(to date) so over supply may be an issue. Ni down 3k lambs which is strange because they hardly came south with the way the euro is

Ganmo, When you look at the lamb price graph on the bord bia site it don't make for pretty reading, particularly when you look at the 2014 prices and the correlation as to where prices might be heading this year. :( if historical data is to go by , could be february 2016 before we see €5 a kilo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ganmo, When you look at the lamb price graph on the bord bia site it don't make for pretty reading, particularly when you look at the 2014 prices and the correlation as to where prices might be heading this year. :( if historical data is to go by , could be february 2016 before we see €5 a kilo again.

I wouldn't argue with ya(I'd hope for jan)
    My dad always said the most he got paid for lambs was €127 the year the euro came in, why is 100 their magic number?

From now on, this season, any day I get €100 for my lambs, I'll be relatively happy. I'll just have to concentrate on increasing the lamb number output. Mind you, cull ewes are still worth a few quid, as previously mentioned got €2.90 last week , which is a lot better then the €40 a ewe I was getting in the marts a year or two ago .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

From now on, this season, any day I get €100 for my lambs, I'll be relatively happy. I'll just have to concentrate on increasing the lamb number output. Mind you, cull ewes are still worth a few quid, as previously mentioned got €2.90 last week , which is a lot better then the €40 a ewe I was getting in the marts a year or two ago .:)

Heard of 56kg lambs in Elphin mart the other night struggling into €92:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Heard of 56kg lambs in Elphin mart the other night struggling into €92:(

Called into the mart last night as i was dropping off wool, good 22kg texel lambs struggling to make £62. At a euro rate that makes them 87 euro. Doesn't sound like it's hit the floor yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

I bought two dorset ewe lambs for breeding for 82 a piece,neighbour bought 9 texel lambs like Antrimglen describes for 62 euro a peice

Advertisement