Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sitting in a queue at cootehill mart.
    Selling for an hour now, and still no more pen room to unload about a dozen trailers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

2000 head of sheep tonight,a lot of smaller lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

IH784man wrote: »
    2000 head of sheep tonight,a lot of smaller lambs.

What's store lamb trade like

I think it's dropping back a bit,72.50 for 33kg for batch of 12 suffolk and texel ram lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I think it's dropping back a bit,72.50 for 33kg for batch of 12 suffolk and texel ram lambs.

In fairness that still not bad money...would they have a bit of a start of flesh on them?

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with it,a bit of flesh on them alright,but something similar last week would have made something like 80 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

lighter lambs making between five euro and a tenner along with 2 euro per kilo.
    Horney lambs a fraction less.
    Heavy lambs at about 2 euro a kg. perhaps 2 euro as well.
    Between 55 and 60 kg lambs rarely making the 100 euro.

Saw one lot of 30 lambs, averaging 28kg reach 70 euro. Seller refused to sell.
    They were re-run fifty lots later and again reached 70 euro, but again the seller would not part with them.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    lighter lambs making between five euro and a tenner along with 2 euro per kilo.
    Horney lambs a fraction less.
    Heavy lambs at about 2 euro a kg. perhaps 2 euro as well.
    Between 55 and 60 kg lambs rarely making the 100 euro.

Saw one lot of 30 lambs, averaging 28kg reach 70 euro. Seller refused to sell.
    They were re-run fifty lots later and again reached 70 euro, but again the seller would not part with them.

4 60kg suffolk lambs made only 95 euro lastnight

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

4 60kg suffolk lambs made only 95 euro lastnight

Should have sold them a month ago and got 110. Stupid carry on.

• Advertisement

Box09 wrote: »
    Should have sold them a month ago and got 110. Stupid carry on.

To be honest, looking round the ring, I would guess a good number of sellers of these really heavy lambs are totally reliant on favours from neighbours etc. for help getting lambs in for weighting and drafting.

Also, when the Auctioneer gets the bit between his teeth, he is hard turned!
    You would nearly need him in a headlock to stop him putting them on the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

which way are factory lambs going ? going to go with a few to the mart this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

which way are factory lambs going ? going to go with a few to the mart this weekend

dropped 10c over the weekend.
    but factory was looking for lambs on friday:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone know what lambs 50-55kg are making??

95 to 100

Not a good price at all so.

You would have got probably more for them at 45kg a few weeks ago

32kg last Monday making 72 Euro. 55kg making only 20 more. Go figure.
    Local butcher boasting that a man brought him six 60kg lambs in a trailer and told him "give me whatever you like for them" so he give the man 90 euro each.

You would have got probably more for them at 45kg a few weeks ago
    I know but as Ive a smallish number I cant take the time off work during the busy periods just to take them to the mart. Might get shut of them now though and hold onto the lighter ones for later in the year.

"32kg last Monday making 72 Euro. 55kg making only 20 more. Go figure.
    Local butcher boasting that a man brought him six 60kg lambs in a trailer and told him "give me whatever you like for them" so he give the man 90 euro each. "
    Not a hope would I be telling anyone give me what you like for them youd be only shooting yourself in the foot sure!

32kg last Monday making 72 Euro. 55kg making only 20 more. Go figure.

And yet lads are still buying them. :confused:

• Advertisement

Watched two lads, both suckler men buy about forty lambs apiece at that kind of price on Monday. In the queue atm at cootehill, we'll see shortly how they're going here tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

farming93 wrote: »
    I know but as Ive a smallish number I cant take the time off work during the busy periods just to take them to the mart. Might get shut of them now though and hold onto the lighter ones for later in the year.

"32kg last Monday making 72 Euro. 55kg making only 20 more. Go figure.
    Local butcher boasting that a man brought him six 60kg lambs in a trailer and told him "give me whatever you like for them" so he give the man 90 euro each. "
    Not a hope would I be telling anyone give me what you like for them youd be only shooting yourself in the foot sure!

Factories have little interest in heavy lambs, They can get rid of a percentage of heavy lambs and do have markets for them but giving the same price perkg as light lambs would only encourage farmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Watched two lads, both suckler men buy about forty lambs apiece at that kind of price on Monday. In the queue atm at cootehill, we'll see shortly how they're going here tonight.

How'd you get on?

rangler1 wrote: »
    Factories have little interest in heavy lambs, They can get rid of a percentage of heavy lambs and do have markets for them but giving the same price perkg as light lambs would only encourage farmers

What live weight would you aim to send them out the gate at rangler ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

What live weight would you aim to send them out the gate at rangler ?

45 kg full and glad to get them to that weight. we're paid up to 21.5 from next week but we don't lose our bonuses until we go over 22

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Sold 31.5 kg @ 73 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

eorna wrote: »
    Sold 31.5 kg @ 73 euro

Nothing wrong with that, anyone know what trade is like for strong lowland cull ewes,lambs off them a few weeks with a bit of flesh on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Antone any factory quotes for this week? some going to 22kgs this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Antone any factory quotes for this week? some going to 22kgs this week

heard €4.40 base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Interesting to see how trade will be in Tuam tonight fairly good in Athenry yesterday

Advertisement