Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Why no Suffolks?

Don't know why, but keeping my opinions to myself, could be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

its because tullow mart is racist :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDg07hd0BhQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Any quotes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Got the lamb cheque this morning
    €101 -€3 deduction for lambs delivered last Thursday
    av price €4.91/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

rangler1 wrote: »
    av price €4.91/kg

Your post gets delivered early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

av price €4.91/kg

How did you get €4.91? ICM offering 4.60 plus bonus with bargaining.

adam14 wrote: »

Producer group, like the IFA, a few working hard for the benefit of many

adam14 wrote: »

Don't often put up my prices but our coordinator is getting a lot of flak about the 'poor' deal and there's better to be got, just thought I'd check it out with you guys.
    It seems some people are never satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Don't often put up my prices but our coordinator is getting a lot of flak about the 'poor' deal and there's better to be got, just thought I'd check it out with you guys.
    It seems some people are never satisfied

had one of your producer group members here the other day, he's v. happy with his returns , but he spends a lot of time each Tuesday picking & sorting lambs & any lamb not 100% is left back

finished selling here ( bar a few I'll let off as stores ) but I reckon €4.70 to 4.80 flat. is the going rate.

on a side note ,I read on another website where a guy bought stores from Kerry, end of July delivered in the gate @ €72

1 dose , 2 cobalt drenches & possibly blackleg vaccine. and walk through foot bath

he's now getting €100 for those in the factory. kinda makes one reconsider

orm0nd wrote: »
    had one of your producer group members here the other day, he's v. happy with his returns , but he spends a lot of time each Tuesday picking & sorting lambs & any lamb not 100% is left back

finished selling here ( bar a few I'll let off as stores ) but I reckon €4.70 to 4.80 flat. is the going rate.

on a side note ,I read on another website where a guy bought stores from Kerry, end of July delivered in the gate @ €72

1 dose , 2 cobalt drenches & possibly blackleg vaccine. and walk through foot bath

he's now getting €100 for those in the factory. kinda makes one reconsider

Yes we have to spend a bit of time picking lambs and do it often
    We wouldn't sell too many fat score 2s before we'd get our knuckles rapped.
    Any one that doesn't keep sheep or even lowly stocked with sheep and then puts stores on the land get's a very cheap thrive

• Advertisement

I'd take that with a packet of salt!!

Willfarman wrote: »
    I'd take that with a packet of salt!!

what are you referring to ?

I saw the kill sheets & he posted the price the day he bought them

What weights and types of lambs were they when purchased? Why did he feel the need to put up kill sheet?

What weights and types of lambs were they when purchased? Why did he feel the need to put up kill sheet?

texel type , don't know the weights

he just showed for point of info as do a lot of posters , had lambs of his own as well in the bunch & told us which tag number were his , just for comparison

was at roscrea earlier for the suffolk sale

top price 910, champion made 880 , some very correct & right rams sold for 450 to 550 , good value there for commercial buyers

End of July all 72 euro would buy is 28 to 33 kg in the way of a lowland type lamb. Now unless he managed to codd someone I can't see any grossing 30 eur off lambs with just grass in one month.

End of July all 72 euro would buy is 28 to 33 kg in the way of a lowland type lamb. Now unless he managed to codd someone I can't see any grossing 30 eur off lambs with just grass in one month.

he bought 200 I guess they were varying weights , this was the first draw

I know I have bought bundles of stores in the past & pulled factory lambs in a week or so with a nice profit

one day last year I bought a mixed lot in the mart pulled the wethers there & then in the mart yard and put them on a lorry that was going to the factory when I got their cheque i had a cheap bunch of ewe lambs

anyhow finished commenting on the matter now, I don't care if you believe it or not , but I'd appreciate if you keep your pinch of salt comments for else where

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Your very cynical willfarman, I also seen the guys posts and wouldn't have any reason not to believe him as he is always very forthcoming with info and he posts what prices he got for lambs backed up with a picture of print out. He certainly doesn't come across as boastful like some people may do

I must also add he would own some of the best land in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

What site is this? Wouldn't mind joining!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Store lambs tonight at cootehill
    14 @ 36 kg 87.50
    14 @ 34 kg 83.50
    6@29kg 79. (Ewe lambs)
    10@31kg 68.50

No I said packet of salt. And I was correct. There was a lot more to the story. Cynicism is one thing realism is another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

orm0nd wrote: »
    texel type , don't know the weights

he just showed for point of info as do a lot of posters

95% of them probably wont be sold till spring. A lad will always tell you about the good 1 or 2. Never hear a word about the poor 98 or 99 that was bought with them
    Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see when it comes to farmers and prices

Robson99 wrote: »
    95% of them probably wont be sold till spring. A lad will always tell you about the good 1 or 2. Never hear a word about the poor 98 or 99 that was bought with them
    Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see when it comes to farmers and prices

well there's 7% of them gone already so don't be talking sh1te unless you have facts to back it up

I saw a pic of the original bunch & they are even , as stated this guy has the best land in Irl & is a top class operator

my original post was to point /discuss the fact that's good money in sheep other than producing lambs

I posted on the strength of FACTS that I know & now have been backed up by another member, yet a person who knew sfa on the matter decided to contradict

He picked 14 out of the 200. Wheres the picture of the 50 smallest ones. Swings and roundabouts. The devil is in the detail.. And you are entitled to believe in fairy tales if you wish we can agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

He picked 14 out of the 200. Wheres the picture of the 50 smallest ones. Swings and roundabouts. The devil is in the detail.. And you are entitled to believe in fairy tales if you wish we can agree to disagree.

of course all the costs aren't there but what ormond put up is the starting point. the list of things you can add in as costs are flipping endless starting with haulage.

I wouldn't be selling lambs for the price/kg he bought them at due to the extra bit of dough to be got easily enough.

ganmo wrote: »
    of course all the costs aren't there but what ormond put up is the starting point. the list of things you can add in as costs are flipping endless starting with haulage.

I wouldn't be selling lambs for the price/kg he bought them at due to the extra bit of dough to be got easily enough.

I buy a few lambs this way every year. 240 come on the lorry. There'd be a few nearly fit to kill and there'd be little bratty ffers to balance them out. Taking last year for example Between expenses and losses you'd clear around a tenner a head on ones killed befor Christmas one with the other. And around 20 for ones after. And all killed before mid April. Allowing nothing for labour now.

Rough figures. It's no get rich quick but like anything if you get the right hop of the ball you'd get a twist outa it.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Store lambs tonight at cootehill
    14 @ 36 kg 87.50
    14 @ 34 kg 83.50
    6@29kg 79. (Ewe lambs)
    10@31kg 68.50

I got nearly €104 in the post this morning for this weeks lambs, all llyens, so hope the store trade keeps underpinning the trade.
    Should have better weights and grades in next weeks lambs as we'll be picking from the vendeens.
    Thrive very slow here and still have to dag the lambs....don't know whether the farmer or the land is sheep sick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

.don't know whether the farmer or the land is sheep sick

Excellent !

Although more like the Factory price underpinning the store trade.

I said they were a even bunch so they are no smaller ones, if you don't want to believe that's fine , other members on here know that & the person involved

go back and stir sh1t in the beef price tracker & ifa threads, that seems to be your goal on boards ,

I buy a few lambs this way every year. 240 come on the lorry. There'd be a few nearly fit to kill and there'd be little bratty ffers to balance them out. Taking last year for example Between expenses and losses you'd clear around a tenner a head on ones killed befor Christmas one with the other. And around 20 for ones after. And all killed before mid April. Allowing nothing for labour now.

Rough figures. It's no get rich quick but like anything if you get the right hop of the ball you'd get a twist outa it.

OHHHHHHHH just spotted this post

not too good at your job and you think other people was crap farmer like yourself . so you got a grudge

get over it & move on

BTW I don't PMS

• Advertisement

I had moved on old chap. Now argue and defend your point of view fine. Prove my rough figures to be a mile off if you can. But childish insults are just making you look sillier and sillier. When I say clear I mean clear profit just to clarify.

Advertisement