Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

In fairness, there is truth in what willfarman is saying. Talk is very often cheap in the business of store lambs. Maybe this guy has done well with this gang, fair play if he did. But the question remains, if it was that easy, then why isn't he up scaling and making a fortune off it? Maybe willfarman has been a bit too dismissive, but you cant dismiss completely what he is saying either. Generally, you always hear about the first gang out the gate, but you rarely hear about the last gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

What are store lambs making in the marts. Have around 60 left that I think I might just sell as stores. Very short of grass and going to be busy with work and home so think ill clear them off and keep grass for ewes.

Weights 38 to43

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone at the marts lately ? Wondering what ordinary crossbreed ewe lambs about 40 -45 kgs are making ? Hiltex type of ones. Thinking about sourcing a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

sea12 wrote: »
    What are store lambs making in the marts. Have around 60 left that I think I might just sell as stores. Very short of grass and going to be busy with work and home so think ill clear them off and keep grass for ewes.

Weights 38 to43

Plain types making about €2.20 to €2.30 per kilo on Wednesday night. Which was back 20 cent/kilo from the week before. Small crowd and less stock, everyone must have been baling!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Exporters are looking for ram lambs 40-50kg atm, 3000 to be shipped out by next week from what I hear for Ramadan.

• Advertisement

Ramadan ended back in July, he's pulling your leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There are a few days coming up though
    http://www.calendarlabs.com/islamic-calendar

I heard theres upward pressure on prices. A lot of farmers competing with agents in mart, for anything with breeding potential leading to shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I probably just misunderstood him more likely ha. Doesnt make a difference to me as long as theyre getting exported..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

farming93 wrote: »
    I probably just misunderstood him more likely ha. Doesnt make a difference to me as long as theyre getting exported..
    No, you are correct.There is a muslim festival coming up this month.Think its the week after next.Good few ram lambs being live exported for this.Know some went to northern France last week.
    Don't think it created any major extra demand though.
    +
    Ewe prices coming under a bit of pressure.
    Any quotes for the coming week for lambs?4.80 seems to be the default price for the last few weeks and no real point in starting to feed meal until prices start to creep up to and over 5 euro.
    Sent prob. the last few to be killed off grass last week,mainly rams.
    Surprised at how well they had done over the last couple of weeks but at this stage its hard to get any cover without meal and underfleshed lambs can kill out quiet poorly at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

Sold some ram lambs on Saturday. 40kg went for 78e, 37kg made 74e and 33kg got 67e. Ewe lambs were easily getting over 2e/kg for anything with a hint of quality. Some were getting over 2.50e/kg - just a pity I'd none with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Weather lambs 55kgs 113 euro
    Suffolk cheviot cross
    Born april 1st aprox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

jd06 wrote: »
    Weather lambs 55kgs 113 euro
    Suffolk cheviot cross
    Born april 1st aprox

They were big lambs! Good money. Mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Kilkenny mart

jd06 wrote: »
    Kilkenny mart

5,80 incl qa for lambs this week. Back a little in the week. Thought there would be more to be got with the ploughing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

5,80 incl qa for lambs this week. Back a little in the week. Thought there would be more to be got with the ploughing on.

Are you in France or wha. :confused:
    I'd say you mean €4.80.
    Lamb price is 50c/kg more than this week last year :D

€4.80. Is that about the go of it this week ? Trying to pull together a trailer of lambs and a few culls here. Keep them moving.

4.70 and 2.60 alls I can get this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

Willfarman wrote: »
    4.70 and 2.60 alls I can get this week?

Same, being told lot of lambs available this week. Always same week after ploughing

Just ringing around as well. Looks like the go of it alright. Factory said it's dropped as it's the week after Muslim festival.

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    Are you in France or wha. :confused:
    I'd say you mean €4.80.
    Lamb price is 50c/kg more than this week last year :D

Ah yea wishful thinking. Can only blame the fat fingers on small I phone😉
    Yep it was 4.80. Back 10 cents this week here

€4.80. Is that about the go of it this week ? Trying to pull together a trailer of lambs and a few culls here. Keep them moving.

4.70 here and 2.50 for culls. They are Not too pushed on getting in the culls at all. Must be getting plenty even at that price as lads go through the final check before letting out the Rams

4.70 here and 2.50 for culls. They are Not too pushed on getting in the culls at all. Must be getting plenty even at that price as lads go through the final check before letting out the Rams

That's it ok. I'm booked in for the morning, so early start here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Ah yea wishful thinking. Can only blame the fat fingers on small I phone😉
    Yep it was 4.80. Back 10 cents this week here

I spoke too soon, our base price is back 10c too

Sold ewe lambs in mart yesterday. Light store ewe lambs. 42kgs. 86 euro was best I could get. Lambs 50kg sold between 100-107. Everything else was a harder sell.

14 ram lambs last night in cootehill, 35kg, not the prettiest looking bunch by any means, 73.50. Last of this year's lambs.

They are orchestrating a pull next week.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    14 ram lambs last night in cootehill, 35kg, not the prettiest looking bunch by any means, 73.50. Last of this year's lambs.

Considering the next man will have to put on 10-15kg to get near the €100 mark in the factory, at current prices, I don't think you did too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Whats story with prices coming down and supplies getting very tight???
    Surely the price pull cant last too long if its true supplies tight.... Or can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

eorna wrote: »
    Whats story with prices coming down and supplies getting very tight???
    Surely the price pull cant last too long if its true supplies tight.... Or can it?

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/sheep/Pages/Supply.aspx

Weekly kill is down but annual kill is up. Maybe they have flooded the market

Side note...15% less ewes killed could be even more lambs next year

Advertisement