Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Lambs thrive here has slowed down as they're a long time on meal, but they killed out at over 50% this week so they're putting on carcase weight at least.
    43kg made €112 -3 expenses.
    The last 19 will go the week after Christmas and I won't be sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

rangler1 wrote: »
    Lambs thrive here has slowed down as they're a long time on meal, but they killed out at over 50% this week so they're putting on carcase weight at least.
    43kg made €112 -3 expenses.
    The last 19 will go the week after Christmas and I won't be sorry

Are you sure that scales of yours isn't weighing light rangler. That's a phenonimal kill out for the conditions and time of year.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Are you sure that scales of yours isn't weighing light rangler. That's a phenonimal kill out for the conditions and time of year.

The scales is a prattley on tru test weigh cells and we'd often test it with a bag of meal.
    The lambs are in since early nov and have two bags meal each eaten at this stage, so taking €14 off the price knocks the gloss of them. I came to the decision that the weather was affecting the thrive.

Are they late lambs? Yes the meal bill would cool ones kecks now all right..

Are they late lambs? Yes the meal bill would cool ones kecks now all right..

Five were the some of the Lleyn runts from the march lambs and seven were the ewe lambs lambs born through april,
    10 Us 2 Rs av price €5.13kg.

• Advertisement

Last of the lambs gone now,€103/lamb for the mid season lambs over the year compared with 96 last year.
    Didn't have a great crop, but still sold 600 lambs plus 115 ewes over the year off 50ha.
    Also sold the pedigrees but kept 170 ewe lambs instead of 120 , so back around the same number ewes again so had a good year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

rangler1 wrote: »
    Last of the lambs gone now,€103/lamb for the mid season lambs over the year compared with 96 last year.
    Didn't have a great crop, but still sold 600 lambs plus 115 ewes over the year off 50ha.
    Also sold the pedigrees but kept 170 ewe lambs instead of 120 , so back around the same number ewes again so had a good year

Nice to have them all gone before the next batch starts to arrive.
    Have the last few on meal in the shed. Hope to have them gone in the next 2-3 weeks. Could do with a price rise to pay for all the meal they've eaten.

The job is staying stubbornly sluggish.. 5.20 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

The job is staying stubbornly sluggish.. 5.20 tops.

The wet weather is probably pushing lads to sell lambs. However this might make them scarcer later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

went with 11 this mmorning to navan got 5.20, weighed them a week ago and brought only 50+ kgs, hope they kill out near 23kg, some were not over fat, 2 of them were the last of the lambss from the ewe lambs from april, hampshire down x lleyn great cover of fat on these compared to the stores i bought. hampshire seems as good for late april born lambs as it is for early lambs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Dickie10 wrote: »
    went with 11 this mmorning to navan got 5.20, weighed them a week ago and brought only 50+ kgs, hope they kill out near 23kg, some were not over fat, 2 of them were the last of the lambss from the ewe lambs from april, hampshire down x lleyn great cover of fat on these compared to the stores i bought. hampshire seems as good for late april born lambs as it is for early lambs

yep a big fan of the hammies here,

after seeing my success with them, a couple of neighbours bought HD rams last year

hope you get on good with the lambs

very happy with the lambs they averaged 115euro, one killed out at just 21kg but was U3 so prob wouldnt have put on much more that brought the average down 7 of the 11 killed out over 23kg so i got the 117 for them. the meal which was being fed sonce early decmeber was worth it, i actually thought they were some on the underfleshed side but 6 were fat score 4 and 5 fat score 3. nice to be getting around 116 euro for lambs it feels worth the work.

very happy with the lambs they averaged 115euro, one killed out at just 21kg but was U3 so prob wouldnt have put on much more that brought the average down 7 of the 11 killed out over 23kg so i got the 117 for them. the meal which was being fed sonce early decmeber was worth it, i actually thought they were some on the underfleshed side but 6 were fat score 4 and 5 fat score 3. nice to be getting around 116 euro for lambs it feels worth the work.

Well done dickie. Nice to getting that amount but as you were feeding them since December, you'd want it.
    Is that the last of them or have you a few more to fatten.

By the way you got your kill sheet very quick. Always takes it to the third day before I get mine from Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

sea12 wrote: »
    Well done dickie. Nice to getting that amount but as you were feeding them since December, you'd want it.
    Is that the last of them or have you a few more to fatten.

By the way you got your kill sheet very quick. Always takes it to the third day before I get mine from Kildare

We normally get the kill sheet the day of kill from icm

yeah another 23 left there last of a around 50 store i bought in august, there is about 10 that were 45-50 10 days ago so another weigh at the end of the week and il see what they are, definitly want them around 52kg to get 23 kg cold, then ready for new lambs to pop!

to get 23 kg cold, then ready for new lambs to pop!

Is kildare or other factories paying to 23kg now ? Have a trailer of lambs to go in next few weeks here.

ICM Navan are paying 23

The extra kilo sweetens the price

Is kildare or other factories paying to 23kg now ? Have a trailer of lambs to go in next few weeks here.

Kildare were paying upto 23 two weeks ago anyway. Don't imagine it will have changed

Icm 5.25 to 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

KIldare and Kepak both supposed to be paying 5.30 and a little more for some.

KIldare and Kepak both supposed to be paying 5.30 and a little more for some.

Anyone get quotes for this week

Anyone get factory prices for this week ?

going with some tommorrow getting 5.60 at 23 kg but mine wont reach 23 prob between 21-22.5, but there in my way at this stage

but mine wont reach 23 prob between 21-22.5, but there in my way at this stage

I find It hard to the females up to the weights here. They do be lighter framed then the Rams.

these are stores prob a few screws in it bought last august to eat excess grass, definitly think i will lamb a batch of 30 ewes next easter and see how their lambs do as store types, i figure that the ewes wont need much feeding after lambing and lambs should come on stream from mid sept to december thus getting a fairly decent price lift as the glut begins to wane. il give it a go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Sold a mix of Pb nd cross Lleyn ewe lambs 44kg (114 euro) only sold as they were not in lamb. Cheviot ram lambs 52 kg not a lot of flesh on them at all 122.50 happy with that. Some lambs were up to 63 kg going for 134 euro

Good prices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

What price are ewes scanned empty doing in marts this weather?
    Debating if to mart them or factory them..

• Advertisement

Any prices for lamb this week. Trying to see will it get to 6 soon or will I let the last few off now as they are eating quite a bit

Advertisement