Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Tuam mart looking for lambs for this Tuesday evenings sale at 5 o'clock, lots of customers for store lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

22 kg here this week anyway. Actually have s load to go that should have gone over 4 weeks ago but were dipped by mistake by dipper. More butcher lambs than factory lambs but can't take time off to go to mart. Will be over 22 with a good few I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

sea12 wrote: »
    22 kg here this week anyway. Actually have s load to go that should have gone over 4 weeks ago but were dipped by mistake by dipper. More butcher lambs than factory lambs but can't take time off to go to mart. Will be over 22 with a good few I'd say

Processors threatening a 10c (at least) drop for tomorrow.
    Big numbers going from our group....my own included.
    Obviously lambs throve well for everyone lately....despite the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »

most lambs on meal now id imagine

Factory rang back to say to leave them until tomo night to drop them in as they were full this evening. Can't do tomo or Friday as away with work so will be next week now. Hope they don't drop in the meantime

• Advertisement

Factory rang back to say to leave them until tomo night to drop them in as they were full this evening. Can't do tomo or Friday as away with work so will be next week now. Hope they don't drop in the meantime

ICM and KEPAK dropped them 10c/kg according to the ''journal,'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what price this week and into next week? any chance of 22.5 kg coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what price this week and into next week? any chance of 22.5 kg coming?

Bump , any factory price updates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Only offered 4.70 from ICM camolin. Said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bump , any factory price updates ?

4.70 kepak to 22kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Brought 12 to Navan sunday night got 4;70 to 22kg averaged €103, all ram lambs most were stores bought in late july for 77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Did they get much meal?

Brought a trailer of lambs to factory today. Told overall lambs are killing out poorly at the moment and mine were consistent with this. so think increased meal is the only way ( on my farm anyway ) to finish them this year.

Brought a trailer of lambs to factory today. Told overall lambs are killing out poorly at the moment and mine were consistent with this. so think increased meal is the only way ( on my farm anyway ) to finish them this year.

Agree. Git my kill sheet today and couldn't believe how poor some of them killed out. The next batch will be getting meal.

Agree. Git my kill sheet today and couldn't believe how poor some of them killed out. The next batch will be getting meal.

If you think about it, was the end of May this year before we saw a blade of grass around the place, and we've been back peddling ever since.

If you think about it, was the end of May this year before we saw a blade of grass around the place, and we've been back peddling ever since.

46kgs averaged 21.25 here last week, the rest are getting meal now,

72 cull ewes going in the morning, average weight 78kgs......haven't a clue what ewes kill out at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

72 cull ewes going in the morning, average weight 78kgs......haven't a clue what ewes kill out at

If my sums are right - that's about a 46% kill out?

I wouldn't have thought that was bad at all, given the year and off grass alone.

What % would lambs that are getting meal kill out at?

If my sums are right - that's about a 46% kill out?

I wouldn't have thought that was bad at all, given the year and off grass alone.

What % would lambs that are getting meal kill out at?

I had them on ad lib meal last year and they went to over 50% KO after 5 or 6 weeks on meal, they were indoors with straw for roughage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I had them on ad lib meal last year and they went to over 50% KO after 5 or 6 weeks on meal, they were indoors with straw for roughage

Interesting...

How much weight did they put on per week, when ad-lib? And how much meal did they get through?

Some of mine killed out as low as 42 percent. Either that or my scales is broke.
    Or my lambs got switched in the middle of the night. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Interesting...

How much weight did they put on per week, when ad-lib? And how much meal did they get through?

They were eating about 1kg/day to put on 1kg liveweight per week, but they were fully grown lambs, so they were probably putting on nearly .75kg DW for every kg liveweight.

for example if a lamb killed out at 45% at 40kg or 18kg or feed him meals to 45kg to kill out 50% to kill out 22kg.
    You'd feel better at 22kg......don't know if you'd have any more money though, but you get rid of the crappy little runts

Some of mine killed out as low as 42 percent. Either that or my scales is broke.

My scales must be broken as well. 42 % is what mine ko'd at.

we had a KT meeting today and quite a few were quoting 42% KO,
    A lot are considering either Typhon or feeding meal from mid August in future.
    Any ram lambs on your 42% KO lambs

Don't know about you sea, but all of mine were ram lambs today, average 45 kg . I honestly thought they'd ko better.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

72 cull ewes going in the morning, average weight 78kgs......haven't a clue what ewes kill out at[/quote

Are they vendeen x lambs rangler?

Don't know about you sea, but all of mine were ram lambs today, average 45 kg . I honestly thought they'd ko better.

The balls must weigh 2kgs this time of the year, and they're dumped before the scales,

Ard_MC wrote: »

72 cull ewes going in the morning, average weight 78kgs......haven't a clue what ewes kill out at[/quote

Are they vendeen x lambs rangler?

yea vendeens, good few coming fit now.
    Grass is melting now so i think I'll go with lighter weights, not as attractive to keep them when meals are being fed

we had a KT meeting today and quite a few were quoting 42% KO,
    A lot are considering either Typhon or feeding meal from mid August in future.
    Any ram lambs on your 42% KO lambs

Yea a mixture of ram and ewe lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

When feeding ad lib i always wonder if its better to let them off at lets say 20.5kg DW or make real heavy to kill to kill out as close to 22 as posible..??

• Advertisement

eorna wrote: »
    When feeding ad lib i always wonder if its better to let them off at lets say 20.5kg DW or make real heavy to kill to kill out as close to 22 as posible..??

Crystal ball time.depends on what the factory are paying in the day. 20.5 kg at € 4-80 might be better then 22kg at €4-50 but full of meal. Take a profit when it's there.

Advertisement