Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

eorna wrote: »
    When feeding ad lib i always wonder if its better to let them off at lets say 20.5kg DW or make real heavy to kill to kill out as close to 22 as posible..??

Depends on the lamb and condition, would it get there quick or is it short small good conditioned lamb that would take time to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Killed 10 chx and suffolkx lambs today @475c/kg average live weight 46kg average dead weight 18.66...on ad lib meal 3 weeks..quiet dissatisfied to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Killed 10 chx and suffolkx lambs today @475c/kg average live weight 46kg average dead weight 18.66...on ad lib meal 3 weeks..quiet dissatisfied to be honest

More proof that we're all in the same boat .going to mineral drench mine again at the weekend. Won't do them any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Worms?????
    we've had to dose here every 4 or 5 weeks, lambs at this stage of the year should last longer without one, also did a test for a neighbour that used zolvix.....its looking as if it wasn't as effective as it should've been either.
    Could be your scales too,
    what was their fat grade, they'd have to be underfleshed for that KO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

rangler1 wrote: »
    Worms?????
    we've had to dose here every 4 or 5 weeks, lambs at this stage of the year should last longer without one, also did a test for a neighbour that used zolvix.....its looking as if it wasn't as effective as it should've been either.

Would agree with the worms statement. I took my eye off the ball there end august / start September - we had plenty grass, and I assumed lambs were putting on weight... They were on reseeded ground, so some were a bit dirty but I put it down to the grass and the wet...
    But they actually went backwards in that time :(
    Dosed em and they came on again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Worms?????

Possibly not the the same person but was chatting to a man up your area, that was very disappointed with Zolvix as well.

Normally their count would be 3 to 600, but this came back as 3000, this man is also organic so re dosing and caught with treble withdrawal or other option sell normally.

That's worrying is that's breaking down. I use it as my quarantine dose and was expecting no issues with it until at least 10-15 years time

orm0nd wrote: »
    Possibly not the the same person but was chatting to a man up your area, that was very disappointed with Zolvix as well.

Normally their count would be 3 to 600, but this came back as 3000, this man is also organic so re dosing and caught with treble withdrawal or other option sell normally.

Probably the same, figures are similar any way, hope he made an error in the dosing, a bit early for it to be breaking down

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

430 base today in camolin. Absolute disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

adam14 wrote: »
    430 base today in camolin. Absolute disaster.

Id say that's down to sterling collapsing to 90 pence v euro. Could get worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

orm0nd wrote: »

Tested lambs here today.
    These were tested 17th August and showed 800 in one bunch and 50 in the other.Dosed with Noromectin and retested after 2 weeks.Both lots showed up clear.
    Thought a few were getting a bit dirty and not thriving so tested again today.Results came back as 2000 in the lot that had 50 in first test and 4000 in lot that had 800 previous.
    Would have expected a few but this was a surprise.In fairness most samples would have been from the "runniest" lambs but still.Highest figures I have ever had here.
    Noromectin obv. worked in early September but would have expected a bit longer.

As regards lambs killing out,its a regular complaint with most people this year.40 to 42% seems to be the baseline even for those that normally have a much better kill out.
    Sold the first of mine off meal last Monday at 4.80 and was rather disappointed with them.On ad lib 3 weeks and killed a little with 20kgs at 45kg plus liveweight.Fleshy enough but a poorish deadweight.Graded ok at 75%U and 25%R but thats no consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

sea12 wrote:
    Id say that's down to sterling collapsing to 90 pence v euro. Could get worse

That's it exactly , prices on a downward trend. Future is bleak

Worms?????

3rd dose this year was 3 weeks ago..fats were 2s and 3s..

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Where do you get the worm testing done and what is the cost of same?

MD1983 wrote: »

We do our own testing here, but there's load of labs around doing it.
    Heard good reports about
    Paralab in portumna or
    farmlab in Roscommon.

MD1983 wrote: »
    Local vet does it for me.Bring in sample(s) before 12 and have result that afternoon.Costs 10 euro per sample tested.
    Usually have dung from 10/15 lambs in a sample.Use sealable freezer bags.
    Well worth it as although dosing is cheap is most important to know that what you are using is actually working so always retest after 10/14 days depending on product used

Local vet does it for me.Bring in sample(s) before 12 and have result that afternoon.Costs 10 euro per sample tested.
    Usually have dung from 10/15 lambs in a sample.Use sealable freezer bags.
    Well worth it as although dosing is cheap is most important to know that what you are using is actually working so always retest after 10/14 days depending on product used

OH does it here for farmers around, takes a contribution for ''bothar'' and texts the result...takes about 15 - 20 mins.
    Like you, we test ''equal sized'' samples from 15 - 20 lambs bulked together, we find that good enough. often individually tested runny lambs and they wouldn't be any different than the average, some even had less.

ICM quoting 4.70 for tomorrow and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

ICM quoting 4.70 for tomorrow and Wednesday.

with QA bonus on without?

razor8 wrote: »
    with QA bonus on without?
    Including QA bonus.Kepak and Kildare on similar as far as I know.

• Advertisement

475 to 22kg for kildare....what weight are lad drafting at?...im thinking 48-50kgs

475 to 22kg for kildare....what weight are lad drafting at?...im thinking 48-50kgs
    To get anywhere near 22kg kill out most are finding that lambs would need to be 50kg plus even with meal.Poorer kill out this year has only seemed to have improved in the last 2 or 3 weeks with many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

To get anywhere near 22kg kill out most are finding that lambs would need to be 50kg plus even with meal.Poorer kill out this year has only seemed to have improved in the last 2 or 3 weeks with many.

Yep 48+ I'd be thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We do our own testing here, but there's load of labs around doing it.
    Heard good reports about
    Paralab in portumna or
    farmlab in Roscommon.

Is that Like what lost covey did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

OH does it here for farmers around, takes a contribution for ''bothar'' and texts the result...takes about 15 - 20 mins.
    Like you, we test ''equal sized'' samples from 15 - 20 lambs bulked together, we find that good enough. often individually tested runny lambs and they wouldn't be any different than the average, some even had less.

Much to it Rangler or is it fairly straight forward once you have gear?

Cran wrote: »
    Much to it Rangler or is it fairly straight forward once you have gear?

Being able to look in a microscope is what you need, I seem to be unable to do that, the rest is straightforward.
    A poster on here came to us one night to see how it was done and seemed to have no problem reading the slides,

Link to Lost Coveys post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74128331

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Killed lambs today 48-50kilos killed out 21.4kilos average
    On meal 3 weeks all ram lambs

Any factory price updates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

4.65 with QA in Camolin sent lambs there on Tuesday, base price was 4.35. Id say lads with big numbers are getting better prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Mountbellew last Saturday was terrible. No interest from buyers .. even for good lambs. Sold some 45kg lambs for 88 . Absolutely depressing.

Advertisement