Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

440+bonuses to 22kg kildare chilling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

440+bonuses to 22kg kildare chilling

They were paying a bit more then others last week and looked flat out when I was there, so maybe their fairly well stocked now and aren't as bullish this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Was looking after the groups lambs yesterday, 1000 lambs, long day.......
    Loaded our own at 5.45 AM, 116 lambs, 46.2 kgs , they throve very well since we put them on the feeder
    killed out 21.77, grossed €100 less €3 expenses, alot of fatscore 4s and overweights.
    would've done better selling the previous week

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

rangler1 wrote:
    Was looking after the groups lambs yesterday, 1000 lambs, long day....... Loaded our own at 5.45 AM, 116 lambs, 46.2 kgs , they throve very well since we put them on the feeder killed out 21.77, grossed €100 less €3 expenses, alot of fatscore 4s and overweights. would've done better selling the previous week

So you got 4.60 Rangler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

rangler1 wrote: »
    Was looking after the groups lambs yesterday, 1000 lambs, long day.......
    Loaded our own at 5.45 AM, 116 lambs, 46.2 kgs , they throve very well since we put them on the feeder
    killed out 21.77, grossed 100 less 3 expenses, alot of fatscore 4s and overweights.
    would've done better selling the previous week

Never heard of lambs killing out like that this time of year!...what breeds and feeding were they getting???

• Advertisement

adam14 wrote: »
    So you got 4.60 Rangler?

Our group is priced on a grid, so 4.60 would be an average price of all kilos,
    Started them on meals a fortnight ago, LW gain went up and the KO went up nearly 2%, so we got caught out,
    an overfat overweght lamb only got 4.25 /kg and an inspec U3 got 4.80 kg.
    to make it worse I dosed the rest, so have to wait a fortnight to go again.

The way we weigh here is put the lambs in for two to three hours to get rid of some gut fill so KO is probably better than some but it makes a more accurate weight to work off when you're trying to get near the max.

Never heard of lambs killing out like that this time of year!...what breeds and feeding were they getting???

Getting a pound of meal for the last fortnight, lambs were mostly vendeens.
    Scales is right but they'd be starved for two to three hours before weighing.

It's a good trial to do weighing them and then again two hours later,
    You'd be surprised what they lose, partiularly if your weighing in the evening when they are full of wet grass.
    we always weigh in the morning, not near as much gut fill

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Is there any signs/ expectations of a recovery ?

Is there any signs/ expectations of a recovery ?

I was looking at the bord bia historical prices chart a week or two ago and it seems to suggest that this is a weak time of year. Seems to recover mid November onwards probably because lamb supplies start to dry up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I was looking at the bord bia historical prices chart a week or two ago and it seems to suggest that this is a weak time of year. Seems to recover mid November onwards probably because lamb supplies start to dry up.

Trying to figure out whether to sell a few as stores now or feed on and send to butcher, so am watching prices very closely too.

It was mid-to-end of Oct in 2014 when prices started to rise according to chart in the Journal. Yearly kill to-date is about same as last year so looks like no huge numbers left to come out and cause factories to drop price again.

I'd say we'll send a few to mart as stores next week but will probably keep the rest for 2 reasons: (1) Store buyers might start drying up, (2) Prices for finished animals will improve.

Hardly an original idea and tis all relative anyway, but sure you have to take an semi-educated guess at some stage!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Trying to figure out whether to sell a few as stores now or feed on and send to butcher, so am watching prices very closely too.

It was mid-to-end of Oct in 2014 when prices started to rise according to chart in the Journal. Yearly kill to-date is about same as last year so looks like no huge numbers left to come out and cause factories to drop price again.

I'd say we'll send a few to mart as stores next week but will probably keep the rest for 2 reasons: (1) Store buyers might start drying up, (2) Prices for finished animals will improve.

Hardly an original idea and tis all relative anyway, but sure you have to take an semi-educated guess at some stage!

Sold some of mine as stores there 2 weeks ago. Kinda for the reason you outline above of store lamb buyers maybe drying up... still have some left, will hold onto them til the new year...

Price won't recover much unless sterling strengthens

You'd imagine supplies of English lamb will have to dry up the same as Irish lamb as season goes on, hopefully !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eire23

Being able to look in a microscope is what you need, I seem to be unable to do that, the rest is straightforward.
    A poster on here came to us one night to see how it was done and seemed to have no problem reading the slides,

Link to Lost Coveys post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74128331

Only seeing this now. Never took the plunge and bought my own kit yet. It appeared easy enough that night but then ye were there guiding me through it! I'm still testing with this crowd http www.westlab.ie. They are seven euro a sample and if you have more than three 6 euro after that and will have the results emailed the next day.

450 including QA today!

450 including QA today!

I see on a post somewhere else that Camolin gave 4.70 yesterday, I haven't got the results of my lambs yesterday, but they'll be doing well to average 4.60.
    Sent 85 lambs weighing 45.75kgs..., sent 43 ewes as well €2.35/kg

eire23 wrote: »
    Only seeing this now. Never took the plunge and bought my own kit yet. It appeared easy enough that night but then ye were there guiding me through it! I'm still testing with this crowd http www.westlab.ie. They are seven euro a sample and if you have more than three 6 euro after that and will have the results emailed the next day.

That'sa good service and not dear,
    Worm counts are easy enough to do, just my eyes don't seem able to use a microscope, haven't as good vision in my left eye so get a weird view.
    Easier to leave it to the other half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

450 including QA today!

Is that all in? I think you were done if it is.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Is that all in? I think you were done if it is.

Is 4.70 easily available. OH gone to collect my cheque so will know shortly,
    Hopefully not as many overfats/overweights as the last load

Historical data would indicate it's bottomed out and we'll see a gradual strengthening from here on out. That's what I'm going with anyway as I sunk a few quid of meal into them and hoping to see it reflected abit better then current prices.

• Advertisement

Again i had a lot of overweights, average price €99.70 - €3 expenses,
    Average price €4.59kg, average weigh 22.28, feckers got 30 kgs free meat
    Ewes were light €64

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ewes were light €64

It's good to know we are not all infallible!...i was kicking myself a few weeks back with something similar...

Ewes were light €64

At least their gone now and you've a clean sheet to move on. Sent ewes a few weeks back and got similar results. Think it's a reflection of the type of ewes we're running as apposed to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Historical data would indicate it's bottomed out and we'll see a gradual strengthening from here on out. That's what I'm going with anyway as I sunk a few quid of meal into them and hoping to see it reflected abit better then current prices.

historical data is out the window with the brexit situation at the moment

At least their gone now and you've a clean sheet to move on. Sent ewes a few weeks back and got similar results. Think it's a reflection of the type of ewes we're running as apposed to anything else.

Kill out percentage has gone up from 45% when i introduced meal to 48.7% today and had them dosed before i realised the increase, Had to wait for the withdrawal period then....

razor8 wrote: »
    historical data is out the window with the brexit situation at the moment

There's always some international situation that shakes things up. brexit didn't cause any more or less lambs to be born this year. As long as the French keep eating lamb, thinks will pick up. ( I hope ) . In the end all we can control is what goes out our gates, and make the best if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

4.70 easily got last week and for Monday in ICM.KIldare seem to be on 4.65 early in the week but easier to get 22.5kg weight.
    Killed early this week at 4.70 to 22kgs and pleased with the killout.They killed roughly 47% going by the scales here.
    Averaged 102.90(21.9kg) before stoppages of 1.02 per head so 101.88 net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

4.65 flat is it as far as I know.

4.70 is not easily got. Have good lambs quality assured. You ring them and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

4.70 is not easily got. Have good lambs quality assured. You ring them and see!
    Well don't know about anyone else but 4.70 was available all last week and for the first two days this week.That's QA inclusive to 22kgs.

Advertisement