Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Well don't know about anyone else but 4.70 was available all last week and for the first two days this week.That's QA inclusive to 22kgs.

Yea I really shoulda done better, Grennans elite lamb nuts seems to be real rocket fuel, never used it before, They're only getting .5kg/day on grass since the ploughing, the ''three in one'' creep feeder is working well too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

How much are the nuts costing?

razor8 wrote: »
    How much are the nuts costing?

€320 in bags delivered, they have a cheaper one at 280, but it wasn't running well in the feeder....a bit dusty

rangler1 wrote: »
    €320 in bags delivered, they have a cheaper one at 280, but it wasn't running well in the feeder....a bit dusty

Using Kiernan blue ribbon and 330 collected. Thriving well on it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Yea I really shoulda done better, Grennans elite lamb nuts seems to be real rocket fuel, never used it before, They're only getting .5kg/day on grass since the ploughing, the ''three in one'' creep feeder is working well too
    Swings and roundabouts really.Nobody gets the best price each week all year round ,despite what people tell you.
    Think it(and cattle price paid) is ,in many cases,a "you tell me yours and then I will boast of the extra 5/10/whatever cents extra I got".Find a lot are reluctant to admit to what they get in case it makes them look guillable or something.

Feeding bulk blown ration here.Think its about 250/260 ish a tonne delivered but would have to check as deal was done a good while ago.Feeding ad lib in bins.
    Finding ram lambs are eating much more and more consistently than the ewe lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

That's a good price. Use roches hi maze finisher here costing €296 a tonne, but find it good. Changes the colour of their coat and all after a few weeks .

That's a good price. Use roches hi maze finisher here costing €296 a tonne, but find it good. Changes the colour of their coat and all after a few weeks .

Only gave away 2kgs meat this week but 9 overweight out of 39 so will have to weigh again next week,
    Got the teagasc update today, Their lambs on grass are only putting on .5kg/week and killing out at 42% average carcase weight 19.5....fair dues to Philip Crieghton in Athenry, he tells it as it is.
    Even that much information reassures everyone that we're not the only ones getting hard to finish lambs

Only gave away 2kgs meat this week but 9 overweight out of 39 so will have to weigh again next week,
    Got the teagasc update today, Their lambs on grass are only putting on .5kg/week and killing out at 42% average carcase weight 19.5....fair dues to Philip Crieghton in Athenry, he tells it as it is.
    Even that much information reassures everyone that we're not the only ones getting hard to finish lambs
    Are those Teagasc lambs on grass only?
    Know they are promoting finishing lambs on grass alone but at this stage of the year is that not cutting off your nose to spite your face if not on meal?
    See a few trying this but even on excellent grass its very difficult to finish lambs on grass alone this time of year.

Any update on prices?Quoted 4.50 early in the week but 4.60 today and heard 4.65 paid today as well.Won't be weighing till next Monday/Tuesday so hopefully they at least remain at this.

Colour is usually the dirt from rooting and rubbing each other at the meal bin!!!!!
    At least it makes it easy to see which lambs are or are not eating.

Colour is usually the dirt from rooting and rubbing each other at the meal bin!!!!!
    At least it makes it easy to see which lambs are or are not eating.

And here's me thinking it was the amount of maize in the product that was causing it. It puts weight up on them fair fast though.

• Advertisement

And here's me thinking it was the amount of maize in the product that was causing it. It puts weight up on them fair fast though.

I'd be agreeing with you, I always find that ration tightens the wool and bring up the oil/colour

Are those Teagasc lambs on grass only?
    Know they are promoting finishing lambs on grass alone but at this stage of the year is that not cutting off your nose to spite your face if not on meal?
    See a few trying this but even on excellent grass its very difficult to finish lambs on grass alone this time of year.

Any update on prices?Quoted 4.50 early in the week but 4.60 today and heard 4.65 paid today as well.Won't be weighing till next Monday/Tuesday so hopefully they at least remain at this.

Ours averaged 4.61 today, now that we've got more inspec, Teagasc have a lot of lambs in, but the ones that are out are only putting on .5kg/week.
    Anyone that fed meal this year in august was paid for it as well as having more grass for this time of the year for ewes.....

as having more grass for this time of the year for ewes.....

Cut open the first bale of silage here 2 days ago. Just to supplement the ewes on grass. The lambs really do reduce your grass options at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

Quoted €4.40 for Monday. They will stay where they are

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Robson99 wrote:
    Quoted €4.40 for Monday. They will stay where they are

I'd think you should cut your losses at this time of year. I don't think they are going up any time soon. Got 4.50 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

adam14 wrote: »
    I'd think you should cut your losses at this time of year. I don't think they are going up any time soon. Got 4.50 today.

navan was lookin for lambs yday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Got 97 a piece for ewe lambs at the mart at the weekend, and only 82 for rams. Ewes were better finished than the rams but we just wanted them gone. They all weighed 44kg+ last time we weighed them (didn't get a chance to weigh them before they went to mart this week). Was mostly mountainy sheep at this mart, we wanted to go to a different one but they changed it from Thursday evening to Thursday noon. Fine for full time farmers but screws us part-timers royally. Got 100 a piece for a few we sent to butcher a few weeks back. Still have 19 to go, very f*cking slow. (March lambs) Haven't decided what we will do with them yet, will weigh them this weekend and see then.

any prices for today?

Look's like prices are starting to rise again !!! Thank god

Look's like prices are starting to rise again !!! Thank god

I thought the price would be up today,but i got the same as last week
    Theres a lot of lambs still out there, price mightn't rise or even stay up if it does rise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

What are butcher lambs making probably around 55 60kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

53kg made 97.50 in mart last Wednesday if it's any good to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

navan and moyvalley lookin for lambs should be good prices around xmas and into new year. seems a lack of lambs this winter begining to show now

Dickie10 wrote: »
    navan and moyvalley lookin for lambs should be good prices around xmas and into new year. seems a lack of lambs this winter begining to show now

What were they offering,, was told today that kildare are on 4.70, hope that's right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

What were they offering,, was told today that kildare are on 4.70, hope that's right

To 22kgs Rangler?

Robson99 wrote: »
    To 22kgs Rangler?

I was at athenrys presentation on feeding store lambs to day and a couple farmers were saying it....wonder is it true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I was at athenrys presentation on feeding store lambs to day and a couple farmers were saying it....wonder is it true

Icm have paid to 4.65 to 23kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What did you make of it . was that about all types of store lamb or just hill lambs ,I got the feeling it was just Cheviots and mountainies

What did you make of it . was that about all types of store lamb or just hill lambs ,I got the feeling it was just Cheviots and mountainies

Yea, it was mainly about hill sheep, but they covered sheep rations and sheep health as well,big variation in weiight gain on the all concentrates, they had hill lambs putting on 400g/day as well as lambs putting on 100g/day,
    There was a good crowd at it , even though it wasn't really pushed and not a KT event.

• Advertisement

Yea, it was mainly about hill sheep, but they covered sheep rations and sheep health as well,big variation in weiight gain on the all concentrates, they had hill lambs putting on 400g/day as well as lambs putting on 100g/day,
    There was a good crowd at it , even though it wasn't really pushed and not a KT event.

Would seeing it make you change anything about finishing lambs ? Just read agriland article here

Advertisement