Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Got 4.60 today for lambs 10c extra for u's to 22kg dawn ballyhaunid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

was passing roscrea to day checked the mart for a while

51kgs .106 euro
    40 kgs . 83.5 euro
    28 kgs .. 65 euro
    45 kgs . 91 euro
    52 kgs . 105 euro
    57 kgs .. 100 euro
    47 kgs . 90 euro
    46 kgs.. 90 euro
    52 kgs .. 106 euro
    53 kgs .. 107 euro

on appearance most lambs with the exception of a few heavier lots would appear to be grass fed only

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

rangler1 wrote: »
    What were they offering,, was told today that kildare are on 4.70, hope that's right

Got 4.70 today up to 22.5 kg Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭kk.man

I asked an agent yesterday and he said 4.60 never mentioned plus 22kgs so doubt it was an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Would seeing it make you change anything about finishing lambs ? Just read agriland article here

No just went for a day out, I was interested in their lowland flocks, they still have 50% of the lambs left from the high stocking rate (14 ewes/ha) trial as well as poor thrive in the other two flocks, so was talking to the lads about it, (it wasn't part of the days event) They don't seem to have any answers either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 keysersoze1

Got 4.60 today for lambs 10c extra for u's to 22kg dawn ballyhaunid

Are you in a producer group or working on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

No just went for a day out, I was interested in their lowland flocks, they still have 50% of the lambs left from the high stocking rate (14 ewes/ha) trial as well as poor thrive in the other two flocks, so was talking to the lads about it, (it wasn't part of the days event) They don't seem to have any answers either
    Think I mentioned it before but it (poor thrive) seems to be an issue on many farms this year.Allied to a poorer than normal killout for grass only lambs.
    So much for global warming and the"warmest year on record"
    As regards price,think most are on 4.70 at this stage ,with either 22.5 or 23 cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

gazahayes wrote: »
    Got 4.70 today up to 22.5 kg Kildare

Gaza did that include QA bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Are you in a producer group or working on your own
    producer group

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Robson99 wrote: »
    Gaza did that include QA bonus?

It did yeah vet in the factory said suppliers are getting tight

• Advertisement

gazahayes wrote: »
    It did yeah vet in the factory said suppliers are getting tight

lamb kill is down 8% on this time last year, wonder when the rest are goin to come, Very high ewe slaughterings this year, up 25% on last year!!!!!,
    Sent lambs yesterday, if they're inspec (which is proving to be a problem this year) they should average over 3.75/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Sent lambs yesterday, if they're inspec (which is proving to be a problem this year) they should average over 3.75/kg

4-75 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

rangler1 wrote:
    lamb kill is down 8% on this time last year, wonder when the rest are goin to come, Very high ewe slaughterings this year, up 25% on last year!!!!!, Sent lambs yesterday, if they're inspec (which is proving to be a problem this year) they should average over 3.75/kg

You mean 4.75? What was the base?

adam14 wrote: »
    You mean 4.75? What was the base?

yea 4.75, base 450, will have the cheque today

Just got the cheque
    They came into €101 - €3 exp for 42.5kgs liveweight
    average price 4.77c/kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

What did the 42.5s bring if you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lads is the QA as important with lambs as it is with cattle.
    Never asked in local factory whether they are QA or not when ringing for quote. I'm in BBia for cattle but not for sheep

IH784man wrote: »
    What did the 42.5s bring if you don't mind me asking

The 27 lambs averaged 42.5 kg. and made €101, I fast them for 2 -3hrs before weighing to get rid of some gutfill, they killed out at 50%
    Theyre on meal and grass since the ploughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Is there a big reduction for the gut fill in the factory?Any sheep we'd send away here would be standing on a lorry for 3/4 hours anyway

Is there a big reduction for the gut fill in the factory?Any sheep we'd send away here would be standing on a lorry for 3/4 hours anyway

There's a huge variance in different lambs, so it's nearly impossible to get an accurate weight of them full
    A few years ago we weighed them full and then empty after 4 hrs and the highest loss was 4kg and the lowest was 1kg, so we fast them for a few hrs every time we weigh now and we get a more even group of lambs now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

they're weighed after the gut has been taken out so ya it has a large impact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I used to bring em to mart before and was sure they had their scales rigged as they'd always be 2-3 kg lighter then when I weighted them that morning. Now I know why. These days I go to factory and try and have em at 45kg going out gate belly full to get 20kg minimum

I used to bring em to mart before and was sure they had their scales rigged as they'd always be 2-3 kg lighter then when I weighted them that morning. Now I know why. These days I go to factory and try and have em at 45kg going out gate belly full to get 20kg minimum

When lambs are being fed with meal...they always get their last feed before lorry arrives for the factory (same with cattle)...agent laughs at me

kk.man wrote: »
    When lambs are being fed with meal...they always get their last feed before lorry arrives for the factory (same with cattle)...agent laughs at me

We take the lambs of the field at dark into the shed on wednesday evening,
    lorries first pickup is here if I've over 50 at 6am on thurs and they don't get killed till 12oc or if the other lorry gets in first, ours are not killed till 2oc. +
    Don't think the long fast makes any different to KO

You can take that there's 2kgs gone in the first few hours anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

when we're goin to the factory they get dropped on sunday evenin for killing monday and they wouldn't be the only pen there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The only thing that might make a difference on a long fast would be dehydration.

Willfarman wrote: »
    The only thing that might make a difference on a long fast would be dehydration.

I thought of that too but isn't there water troughs at the factories and some modern lorries...

kk.man wrote: »
    I thought of that too but isn't there water troughs at the factories and some modern lorries...

Mine would have water in the shed and in the pens when they unload......wouldn't be that long without water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Any quotes for this week better than 4.70 to 22.5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Have 19 goin to kildare tonight for the morning at 475c to 22.5kg..

Advertisement