Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭kk.man

I texted an IFA man on the board of that organisation of the info I had...I got no reply...your right Rangler there is no point...no wounder the Brits left the EU with decisions like big business can do what they want. I for one was abit sorry for the IFA but after the no reply to my text...its bye bye IFA membership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

kk.man wrote: »
    I texted an IFA man on the board of that organisation of the info I had...I got no reply...your right Rangler there is no point...no wounder the Brits left the EU with decisions like big business can do what they want. I for one was abit sorry for the IFA but after the no reply to my text...its bye bye IFA membership

Well it is pointless, ICSA''ll find out that too, I wouldn't stand at a gate now;
    Hope I'm proved wrong

Nothing to stop english farmers from throwing irish beef into the irish sea either, we're not helping their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »
    Tbh it's a waste of time, I was involved in loads of things to highlight it, we'd be tipped off on a lorry coming into a factory, we'd setup a stake out, the lorry would go to ground somewhere, spent plenty of nights waiting for a lorry.
    One of our crowd was given a camera by RTE and they followed a lorry right into the factory and the footage was put out over the news.....didn't make a bit of difference and then the lorry overturning was around the same time

Think we need to take a leaf of out the French farmers book

To put in the work lambing sheep and be pissed on and take it isn't the answer either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/factories-putting-the-boot-in-by-needlessly-importing-sheep/

Make sure to comment on it on Facebook.. Not that it makes much differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

icm rang me this evening for lambs only offered 4:70 told them i just dosed. goin to let them sit for another couple of weeeks

• Advertisement

Well it is pointless, ICSA''ll find out that too, I wouldn't stand at a gate now;
    Hope I'm proved wrong

Nothing to stop english farmers from throwing irish beef into the irish sea either, we're not helping their prices
    The Irish Factories don't allow Irish born beef into British factories that's the difference !

Is he from your county, is he converting to dairying from sheep

Dickie10 wrote: »
    icm rang me this evening for lambs only offered 4:70 told them i just dosed. goin to let them sit for another couple of weeeks

Heard they were down a bit alright

Is he from your county, is he converting to dairying from sheep

He is...didn't hear about the conversation bit...that's not to say your right though

The Irish Factories don't allow Irish born beef into British factories that's the difference !

A certain supermarket cleared all the shelves of Irish beef in london a couple of years ago when IFA upset them in Ireland, a delegation had to go over to basically grovel to get it back on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

At the very least you'd hope that bord bia or the factory vets are keeping a close eye on this to make sure no english lamb is diced up and mixed with irish lambs and sold as quality approved ?

Labelling is one thing but anti competitive practices is another. what are theses lambs costing per kg after purchase transport and mortality is factored in? Is it just a means of guaranteeing supply to keep our lambs on the floor?

whats a 52 kilo lamb costing in a uk market last week?

http://www.harrisonandhetherington.co.uk/primestock-report-070217/
    This is Carlisle market report. Scroll down to the bottom for the fat lambs. Lambs bringing over 100 sterling but even at 90 pounds it's 105 euro plus commission plus surely a fiver in haulage... It stinks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

should we pull all lambs from marts and factories for a few weeks? i think sheep farmers are more united than beef lads.

should we pull all lambs from marts and factories for a few weeks? i think sheep farmers are more united than beef lads.

If farmers would unite it would work.

Willfarman wrote: »
    If farmers would unite it would work.

There's northern lambs in every week, what's the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

There's northern lambs in every week, what's the difference

I think if lads could unite - it'd work...

But - it would only work for a short while, til the price rises a little bit and one lad thinks he'll cash in early before everyone takes in their lambs and the house of cards collapses...

Any price updates ? Regardless of the messing the factories are doing, lambs must be getting scarce on the ground ?

Any price updates ? Regardless of the messing the factories are doing, lambs must be getting scarce on the ground ?

4.70 to 22.5 Icm. Cut to 4.50 if they're over 25 kg.

4.70 to 22.5 Icm. Cut to 4.50 if they're over 25 kg.

That's terrible penalty ......Goodmans influence in sheep business.

• Advertisement

Just read in the journal this evening that agents started week at €4-70 but have moved to €4.75 and €4.80 if the quality is there. Hope their right. Scarcity has to be setting in.

Just read in the journal this evening that agents started week at €4-70 but have moved to €4.75 and €4.80 if the quality is there. Hope their right. Scarcity has to be setting in.

15 v nice qaulity ewe hoggets Carnew today. 55kg @ €104.50.

They knew how to treat producers with contempt long before the goodmans took over.,

They knew how to treat producers with contempt long before the goodmans took over.,

That's cheap compared to next Aug , if you have the money

IMO if they took that long to reach that weight there genetically poor stock and probably got meal to reach it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

razor8 wrote: »
    IMO if they took that long to reach that weight there genetically poor stock and probably got meal to reach it
    I dunno...

You think ewe lambs that only weigh 55kg now are poor? Surely would depend on a lot of factors?

I wouldn't have said tho that lambs under 55kg would be poor - I hope not, as I have ewe lambs at home, that would be under it that am hoping to sell for breeding stock next summer ;)

Probably opening up a can of worms but yes. If for killing fine but for breeding they should be coming close to mature weight

It depends on breed etc so I'm assuming there lowland stock

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    Probably opening up a can of worms but yes. If for killing fine but for breeding they should be coming close to mature weight

It depends on breed etc so I'm assuming there lowland stock

They were lowland tight wooled Charolais lambs. It's no money for the like of them. Ridiculous .

Advertisement