Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

any prices for this week for hoggets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭kk.man

Any prices for this week for hoggets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

kk.man wrote: »
    Any prices for this week for hoggets?
    5:20 inc. QA in ICM today

5:20 inc. QA in ICM today

Was quoted 5.10 at Kepak anf Ballon..refused both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Was quoted 5.10 at Kepak anf Ballon..refused both
    Ballon at 5:10 last Thursday and for today I think.Think Kildare on 5:15.All gone here so less interest in the price to be honest.
    10 cents a kilo would equate to 2:30 per lamb at full weight so depending on distance and numbers might not pay to haul a long distance.Plus no clipping charge in Ballon or Kildare as far as I know and Ballon usen't to take the Sheep Ireland deduction but that may have changed.

• Advertisement

Ballon at 5:10 last Thursday and for today I think.Think Kildare on 5:15.All gone here so less interest in the price to be honest.
    10 cents a kilo would equate to 2:30 per lamb at full weight so depending on distance and numbers might not pay to haul a long distance.Plus no clipping charge in Ballon or Kildare as far as I know and Ballon usen't to take the Sheep Ireland deduction but that may have changed.

Your right about clipping charge plus 2 weeeks ago Ballon took Bord Bia and Vet charge only from me. 75c per lamb..total deduction.

Two processors just quoted me 5.15 all in for a big no of hoggets

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Heard €5:20 on Wednesday for hoggets is there any more to be got hove a 100 between me and another guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard €5:20 on Wednesday for hoggets is there any more to be got hove a 100 between me and another guy.

Heard 5.20 Kildare for yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

One twenty for 40kg lambs in mart yesterday.
    Hoggetts at 56kg made one twenty also.
    Ewes with young lambs made 200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

How are prices progressing this week ? Reading there that Ramadan is only a few weeks after Easter, so prices should stay good up to mid May at least ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

How are prices progressing this week ? Reading there that Ramadan is only a few weeks after Easter, so prices should stay good up to mid May at least ?

Dropped some in Kildare this week. 5.10. Was meant to go in last week but phoned twice to say they were full. No real demand for them. Talking to one lad who has around 200 to get rid of yet but that he was finding it tough to get killed before Easter. Talking to a few people and price seems to be slipping slightly.

An extraordinary year by all accounts for the wrong reasons. We seriously need bord bia and the minister to locate and develop new markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Sent in 3 last week, 5.10 / kg...

But out of the 3, only one got the 5.10/kg

- all killed at 23kg
    - one was U4, so only got 5/kg
    - one was R2, so only got 5/kg
    - one was R3, so got 5.10/kg

:(

Was that one of the main factories ?

Was that one of the main factories ?

Yep - ICM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yep - ICM

Welcome to ICMs grading, 10,000 more lambs killed this week than this week last year.....where are they all coming from.
    There's still a lot of ewes being killed same as there was all last year, maybe a lot of farmers are peed off keeping sheep and maybe lambs will be scarce this year.
    On your problem with the ears, sheep can get infected by nasal bots, but they can also get into the ear and cause havoc there too

rangler1 wrote: »
    Welcome to ICMs grading, 10,000 more lambs killed this week than this week last year.....where are they all coming from.
    There's still a lot of ewes being killed same as there was all last year, maybe a lot of farmers are peed off keeping sheep and maybe lambs will be scarce this year.
    On your problem with the ears, sheep can get infected by nasal bots, but they can also get into the ear and cause havoc there too

They got Dectomax in Oct though (which supposedly treats nasal bots)

Now, that was 6 months ago, too, so could be the issue... Altho it looks something more of a skin condition to me, some type of infection...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

agent in icm told me there coming in from the north of england. carlisle mart is where icm source most of the lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

http://harrisonandhetherington.co.uk/primestock-report-030417/ Scroll down to bottom for the hogget prices. Icm are buying thes sheep to gaurantee a supply to fill contracts and then ****ing the local producers.. The poster boys for their marketing. Nothing but contempt for the hand that's feeding them.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    http://harrisonandhetherington.co.uk/primestock-report-030417/ Scroll down to bottom for the hogget prices. Icm are buying thes sheep to gaurantee a supply to fill contracts and then ****ing the local producers.. The poster boys for their marketing. Nothing but contempt for the hand that's feeding them.[/quot

If farm organisations any good they should target their so called own signature labels...one rule for them and another for farmers qa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Willfarman wrote: »
    http://harrisonandhetherington.co.uk/primestock-report-030417/ Scroll down to bottom for the hogget prices. Icm are buying thes sheep to gaurantee a supply to fill contracts and then ****ing the local producers.. The poster boys for their marketing. Nothing but contempt for the hand that's feeding them.[/quot

If farm organisations any good they should target their so called own signature labels...one rule for them and another for farmers qa

It is anti competitive practice. Isn't there an authority regulating that?

Like ****.. Long live banana republic.

Any prices for this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Getting 5:15 on Thursday for hoggets is that as good is going

Duke92 wrote: »
    Getting 5:15 on Thursday for hoggets is that as good is going

Was quoted €5.10 this morning , ended up going to mart as only has small numbers. Got €95 for 45 kg hoggets that were bit under fleshed . Also sold cull ewes that made the same money, so swings and roundabouts really. Despite current prices sheep very scarce on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Was in tuam yesterday, spring lambs werent good. Seen good fleshed chx lambs 46 kilos and they making only 115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Was in tuam yesterday, spring lambs werent good. Seen good fleshed chx lambs 46 kilos and they making only 115

They weren't good in Raphoe either on monday.
    http://www.farmersforum.ie/reports/Raphoe-Sheep-mart-report/2017_04_10-317/

Something's amiss when we're a few days before Easter, sheep are scarce on the ground, demand is growing, yet prices are low and even falling back abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Icm navan only killed 80 spring lambs on monday and same yesterday, they dont even want them, getting too many hoggets from u know where, they supposedly killed nearly 4000 sheep yesterday which is usually unheard of this time of year. my neighbour has 40 lambs fit and cant get them killed and it easter week, whats the ifa or bord bia doing? Absolutely nothing! Had a pr**k from ifa come round today lookin for membership, i ran him out of the yard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

10,000 more lambs killed last week than the previous year
    http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/sheep/Pages/Supply.aspx

I'm not a major fan of the Ifa but what do ya expect them to do?

Advertisement