Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Those of ye who lamb early.
    Given that the early premium is non existent will ya be lambing early next year?
    I expect there are lots who it's fits their system/work load balance so they'll do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

ganmo wrote: »
    Given that the early premium is non existent will ya be lambing early next year?
    I expect there are lots who it's fits their system/work load balance so they'll do the same

Whats early? First of Jan or first of Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

ganmo wrote: »

we've been letting lambing slip backwards for the last couple of years , this year we're hoping to move a lot of lambs in the first 2 weeks of May whereas 5 years ago we'd been moving from early april onwards. with the dairying numbers expanding we may well rid of the early lambing flock completely & perhaps cut overall ewe numbers by half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The only system I can see it justified is for to get a final crop out of aged ewes. The lambs are weaned or sold as the grass is coming for to fatten the ewes cheaply and hit the top of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Whats early? First of Jan or first of Feb?

Early in my mind is when a lot of the post lambing nutrition routinely comes from concentrates and saved forage.
    So in some areas Feb mightn't be early in some areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Getting 5 10 to 23 kgs for hoggets tomorrow, just a few of the dry ewe lambs that im not too keen on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Mart prices must be paying close till factorty I sold a bunch off hoggets that didn't do 2 well for me on Thursday 47kg made €104... I'm not quality assured so pretty sure I wouldn't a made that if they went till factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Lambman wrote: »
    Mart prices must be paying close till factorty I sold a bunch off hoggets that didn't do 2 well for me on Thursday 47kg made €104... I'm not quality assured so pretty sure I wouldn't a made that if they went till factory.

You did well there.

Lambman wrote: »

a great price

Any prices this week ? Been Quoted €5-10 to include q.a

• Advertisement

Sent off 4 lambs average one twenty at 6 euro with ten cent for u extra. Aul lad didn't go to producer group so kinda thick cos you mite as well get the extra euros

Any hogget and cull ewe prices for this week ? Will this Muslim festival in a few weeks improve trade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Any hogget and cull ewe prices for this week ? Will this Muslim festival in a few weeks improve trade ?

Got 98 a piece for 3 big ewes, 80 for 3 middling ones and 55 for 2 poor ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Got 98 a piece for 3 big ewes, 80 for 3 middling ones and 55 for 2 poor ones.

Was that mart or factory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭davidk1394

sea12 wrote: »
    Was that mart or factory

In Kilkenny mart yesterday

Willfarman wrote: »
    As I posted on this before. Early lamb and Easter market demand is extremely outadated ****e still being spielled out by teagasc and the farming publications year after year.

Watch the Muslim festivals for peak demand. The end of the ramadam fast is the next..

On the ball Will, after a few weeks of weakness,( think ICM were as low as €4-85 a week or so ago) , prices are on the strengthening with scarce numbers and Ramadan on the horizon. Have hoggets booked in to a factory tomorrow at €5-15.

any quotes for spring lambs folks . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

orm0nd wrote: »

Some gone this morning here at 6.oo kg all in, up to 20 kg

orm0nd wrote: »

I'll know tomorrow,

6/kg seems tops ...going to morrow & going to pull as low as 18kgs

18 X 6 now better to me than 20 X 5.60 in 2 weeks timw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

On the ball Will, after a few weeks of weakness,( think ICM were as low as €4-85 a week or so ago) , prices are on the strengthening with scarce numbers and Ramadan on the horizon. Have hoggets booked in to a factory tomorrow at €5-15.

hear of a lad with big numbers getting €5.30 and free transport

Sold ten lambs, got 125 each . 6.15 for heavy R's and 6.25 for u's and light R's. Happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sold ten lambs, got 125 each . 6.15 for heavy R's and 6.25 for u's and light R's. Happy enough

Very good, did you weight them live?

Very good, did you weight them live?

Ye, 42.5 upwards

Got my kill sheet back from factory. was deducted .50 a kilo deducted for a hogget that k.o'd at O1 grade. Do all factories do this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Got my kill sheet back from factory. was deducted .50 a kilo deducted for a hogget that k.o'd at O1 grade. Do all factories do this ?

they certainly don't want to encourage fat score 1, TBF he wasn't fit to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

surely he was noticeably thin before you brought the sheep?

to be honest, they weren't great sheep. Were ram hoggets I'd knocking around farm on secondary grass, as ewes with lambs getting priority grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

to be honest, they weren't great sheep. Were ram hoggets I'd knocking around farm on secondary grass, as ewes with lambs getting priority grazing.

i thought you were feeding meal

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    i thought you were feeding meal

A different batch. These hoggets Had fluke a few months ago and were on grass. Very hard to justify mealing animals for €4-70 a kilo this spring. luckily was only one sheep, so just learn lesson and move on.

Advertisement